best vacuum cleaner

1235»

Comments

• DabutcherDabutcher Posts: 2,101
    Less than ten years old. Shoes off room so never wears out or gets dirty. Maybe it is thick pile? Dunno? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Mitsubishi rear projection 73, PS4, PSW505 , Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, RTi12, FXiA6, CSiA6, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05

“Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • warrenwarren Posts: 665
    Get the big yellow one at Costco and be done with it.. Or get the shark, try them both, bring one back..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • verbverb Posts: 7,647
    gmcman wrote: »
    Miele cat and dog.

I really wanted to like the Dyson, but felt like I was like comparing a Mercedes to a Plymouth Reliant K.

We have a Miele for the upstairs. Mrs loves it. Quiet, lightweight, good build quality.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,390
    We have owned 2 dysons, and a Hoover wind tunnel pet with Hepa filter.

Honestly they work about the same....very very similar concept, but wish I had known the wind tunnel was so good as it costs about 1/3 of the dysons but seems identical in performance or even a bit better.

The dysons are great, just a lot of money for what they are. Some of the plastics feel cheap also, but nothing broke over 4-5 years so..
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,758
    We have two Sharks and an old Kirby. Sharks are great and Kirby rocks when its operational.
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,716
    We have the Shark and the attachments and wand blows....not sucks. In other words, using the Shark when you disconnect it from the base for carpet is a pain in the buttocks.
  • billbillwbillbillw Posts: 5,820
    I have been accused of over researching vacuum cleaner purchases...I have 3 working currently (not including shop vacs).

One for each floor.
    For the top floor, (4 carpeted bedrooms, tile bathrooms/laundry room, wood hallway), I have an older Panasonic Platinum upright with a tri-force, dual-fan motor (they quit making them this good). It is simple, reliable, and has been great for something like 7 years now.

For the main floor that is all hard surfaces (tile or wood) with a couple throw rugs, I have a Kenmore Canister. It works well, but the plastic is cheap and I have had to do several repairs. It currently has ducktape holding/sealing the handle to the main downtube. I will use it till it dies.

For the basement which is nearly 1300 sq feet of carpet, I have a re-branded Sebo/Windsor "sensor' model. The Sebo is the my favorite upright. It is basically a powerful commercial vacuum. It has been going strong for over 10 years.

I also have an older Samsung Quiet Storm (canister) that also was great until one day, it started to arc my outlet. Not sure if the motor has a short, or if the variable slide switch went bad. It has been sitting out in my garage for about 5 years waiting for me to take it apart and troubleshoot it. It had some amazing suction and it was really very quiet.

Some day, I may get a dyson stick or similar to do the hardfloors. My wife hates the canister, but they are really the most versatile (when combined with a motor brush head for rugs).
    Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; LSA Statement Amplifier; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-4/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects
  • machonemachone Posts: 1,126
    I had a Hoover Wind Tunnel that broke last year, thank God. Bought a Shark and love it. Unlike the Hoover it actually vacuums instead of blows, it's quiet and is easy to maneuver.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...SDA-1A (Fully Modded with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • GospelTruthGospelTruth Posts: 376
    We have a Shark canister vacuum and it works excellent. Maintain the filters and the thing has incredible suction power. I'm amazed how much it picks up after just one vacuum (we have tile floors and two area rugs (9x11) that are wool.

We also bought a Roomba for the entire first floor (we have a ranch with a walkout basement). It does a reasonable job of keeping things clean and we can run it while we are out of the house or at night. I'm amazed at what it picks up as well and keeps things clean. It by no means does as good a job as the Shark, but it does a good job at cleaning up the crumbs on the floor from the kidddos and keeping things looking tidy. Best of all, we don't have to do the work.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,448
    Roomba and Simplicity. Best combo out there.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,986
    I was lookin' at the graphics on the spiffy outer packaging of our new Dyson V8 :) vacuum, and I had a sudden realization.

If this whole vacuum cleaner thing doesn't work out for Dyson, he/they can rescale their drawings for these vacuum cleaners and introduce a line of tone arms.

5d623zsjvmw3.png

B)
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,448
    Lol. Good eyes Mark. For an old bird ;)
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • minerminer Posts: 1,254
    Miele - it's German
    [
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,586
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,336
    How about this one

Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,986
    A cat cleaning up the floor -- upon which the dirt is mostly cat-derived :|
    I speak from experience, cat-dirt-wise.

In bioenergetics, we call this a futile cycle. :)
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,072
    We ended up with both the Miele c3 brilliant and the Dyson v8 absolute

A great team imokfk9pvggdlox.jpeg
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • warrenwarren Posts: 665
    warren wrote: »
    Get the big yellow one at Costco and be done with it.. Or get the shark, try them both, bring one back..
    Now, had the Dyson for 13 years, plastic has deteriorated, brought it to the Dyson store and was told their plastic has surpassed its lifetime.. bought a Sharkst Costco’ works as well..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,880
    Now, had the Dyson for 13 years, plastic has deteriorated, brought it to the Dyson store and was told their plastic has surpassed its lifetime.. bought a Sharkst Costco’ works as well..

Seriously dude do you realize how long 13 years is by today’s consumer standards? I have NOTHING in my house that is 13 years old besides plates and flat ware lol. If that vacuum manages to last 13 years it will outlive you lol...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    Kirby's have been known to last 40 years and they still suck

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,880

Kirby isn’t a standard consumer brand. What store can u but them in? My only experience is based on a slightly creapy door salesman...and they wanted somewhere around 2 grand for a vacuum cleaner. I’m stick with 13 years thanks...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,313
    edited February 22
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Kirby isn’t a standard consumer brand. What store can u but them in? My only experience is based on a slightly creapy door salesman...and they wanted somewhere around 2 grand for a vacuum cleaner. I’m stick with 13 years thanks...

In 1965 my parents and uncle bought from the door to door salesman and my aunt and uncles is still going strong. Ours bit the dust when my dad used it to vacuum the car out and left it overnight. It had rained that night and mom didn't realize it had gotten wet. It went tango foxtrot when she plugged it in. It was funny watching my mom freak out as a 12yo but that fun stopped fast when she warp factor 5 my happy self... :# I think they were close to 700.00 back then IIRC. It is a lot of money but they last and last not to mention you can still get parts.
    My girlfriend has one as well she bought 30 years ago.
    Until 5 years ago a vacuum store here in town carried them. They brought on new brands and in order to carry one of the brands they had to give up others. I think the brand was Miele that played hardball with them.
    you can buy demo units online for like $700 bucks. refurbs even cheaper. The amount of suction and the build quality is not even close in the consumer market.

• gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,011

Why an Electro Lux vacuum of course.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Uprights are good lightweight machines. I'm not sold on the portable cannister--a few years back they had a recall for them catching on fire.
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,541
    edited May 26
    72dpfidt7khh.png
    I've never seen a spammer take the time to upload their own avatar before.
    2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • jflail2jflail2 Posts: 2,886
    A bit pricey, but I've had great luck out of my Dysons. I bought the purple pet Dyson model 11 years ago and it's still going strong. Moved into a larger, 2 story house a few months back so got the Dyson pet portable model for upstairs. Never had an issue with either of them, other than the portable Dyson's battery life isn't great. It's really just for one carpeted room upstairs though, so it does its job well in that regard.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"