LSi 15

Options
DCIFRTHS
DCIFRTHS Posts: 9
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I am now considering the LSi 15's, but I have a question. Currently my receiver is a Yamaha DSP-A1. It has about 100 watts a channel. It aslo has a switch to drive 4 ohm loads. Would this receiver be sufficient to drive the LSi 15's to a clean, loud level for home theatre?

My next purchase may be the Denon AVR-5803, but I can't seem to find any 4 ohm ratings for this unit. Anyone have any ideas how well the Denon might work with the LS1 15's?

Here's a link to the Denon: http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

Thanks
Post edited by DCIFRTHS on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    Options
    The Yamaha will work okay when switched to 4 ohms, running it set to 8 will generate lots of heat. I've seen posts that state that others have had good results using receivers that are not rated for output into a 4 ohm nominal load, including Denon gear. My Pioneer Elite receiver is rated for 6-16 ohm loads and it heats up quickly, especially when I'm watching a movie with the volume cranked up. As a result I have decided to make the jump to seperates, Anthem to be exact. You might want to look at using a seperate amp to drive the Lsi's. Either way your going to love having Lsi's in your home!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Agreed,
    The Denon avr5803 should be and will be fine running the Lsi series.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Jimmie
    Jimmie Posts: 103
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I am running the 15's, lsic, and lsifx's using a Pioneer elite vsx36tx rated at 100 watts per channel in to 8 ohms and about 150 per in to 6 ohms. It has no spect for 4 ohm. I am not having any problems at all with it. It does run alittle warm but it does that using 8 ohm speakers. Just for my own satisfaction I have a small fan out of site behind my equipment rack set in slow speed that comes on with the receiver and it keeps everything cool.
    You are going to like the 15's if you get them.

Jimmie
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I agree, you won't have any 'issues' powering your LSi 15's with *most* receivers, BUT after my demo time with the LSi 15 this weekend, you are wasting your money on them if you don't move to seperates. Be it now, or soon down the road, you can't reach the full potential of the LSi line with *most* receivers. (Steve's Arcam did a FINE job on the LSi9)

At the minimum, if seperates are NOT even on the back burner, at least make sure you have the pre-out capabilties for adding some amps later, and utilizing your receiver as a preamp.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Options
    For the price range of that denon, I say eff the receiver and go seperates all the way.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    In the run to sonic purity,seperates are the way to go...........but you loose features, and the Denon avr5803 has all of them.It's a good peice,It runs the very demanding Beetovens well as the Grand pianos.
    I agree with the comment that your wasting your money if your using a mid to low line receiver with Lsi.Fagship receivers are better suited like B&K avr307/507,Rotel rsx1065,Pioneer Elite vsx49txi,and such..........but nothing will come close to the pure sonic transparent sound of a good seperate system.
    Dan
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis

I agree with the comment that your wasting your money if your using a mid to low line receiver with Lsi.

I don't think he went that far. I for one didn't waste my money. :rolleyes:

You should hear my setup. It might change your mind about using receivers as a pre.
    Fagship receivers are better suited......

I dunno if I wanna touch that one.... :D
  • DCIFRTHS
    edited October 2002
    Options
    In the run to sonic purity,seperates are the way to go...........but you loose features, and the Denon avr5803 has all of them.It's a good peice,It runs the very demanding Beetovens well as the Grand pianos.
    I agree with the comment that your wasting your money if your using a mid to low line receiver with Lsi.Fagship receivers are better suited like B&K avr307/507,Rotel rsx1065,Pioneer Elite vsx49txi,and such..........but nothing will come close to the pure sonic transparent sound of a good seperate system.

You mention the B&K etc., but do you think the Denon avr5803 will power the speakers properly?

Thanks
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Read man, it will power them sure, properly (imo) hell no.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • DCIFRTHS
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Read man, it will power them sure, properly (imo) hell no.

Cheers,
    Rooster

I am reading ;) ....and asking. I am concerned about overheating the receiver or damaging the speakers.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Sorry to come of harsh, but don't band-aid this ****. If the Denon has pre-outs, and you can add seperates later, I think it's a good move if it has the features/price you like. Just don't get TOO caught up in bells and whistles you don't need/won't use.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I just want to give my .02, The rsx-1065 cost much less than the 5803 (I think less than half of that), and in my situation (i.e. space constraint) it will do a great job. I've been listening to it for the past several days and I have to say that my Denon 2802 missed out a lot. I am caveating that, since I haven't heard the sonic quality of 5802, assuming that it has much improved soundstage compared to the lower sibling, would still be in the same category of 2802/3802, I would say that going with the higher class (especially after paying that kind of money) would be the way to go...I think I can go with a pair of Mark Levinson for that kind of money....just my take, though :D
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Phuz,
    I'm glad your digging your sound.I bet it sounds real good.Sometime down the road if you can get into a Rotel Preamp like the rsp-1066,you'll hear an even cleaner more detailed punchy sound.Using a receiver as a preamp does sound much better then the amps inside,but nothing beats a seperate preamp for sound quality alone.

My comments about flagship receivers are from hearing the lsi's first hand on them,and then on a mid level receiver/s.Big difference.Don't take my word for it,go compare for yourself......your ears will tell ya.

polkatese,
    your lovin that rsx1065 huh?.......I feel that peice seperates itself from other common receivers.It might not have all the bells and whistles like the others,but sonicly it stands out.Dynamic range/headroom is second to no receiver on the market that I have heard.That peice can compete with all the big boys.Sonicly that is.Musically.
    Dan
  • jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I've used both the LSi9 and the LSi15's as mains on my system. The LSi9's sounded great but the LSi15's just suck the life out of my little NAD T751. Although, the sound is clean, it just lacks the dynamic punch I like. I'm going to be upgrading to seperates.

my .02

-Jason
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Sounds like a plan...........
    Dan