Getting into the 21st century....

pgasus
pgasus Posts: 4
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I have some venerable and serviceable S6s from oh, about a dozen years ago.... looking to upgrade finally but can't drop $1000, even with birthday money! Suggestions on midrange-priced offerings for fronts, center, backs? My particular preference is squarely in the middle, with some good treble side for vocal clarity, due to a bit of high range hearing loss.
thanks, troops!

ps. what is bi-wiring?
Post edited by pgasus on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    Take a look at the rt70, damn good speaker for the money.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2002
    am i being made fun of again? lol
  • pgasus
    edited October 2002
    thanks Frank, I think they have those 70s at my local Circuit City. I am hoping to find "open box" deals on surrounds, liked that using center channel idea someone had. The S6's will do as rears for the time being.

Airplay, I left off your name from that "birthday money" part, but you picked up on it anyway! heheheh Unfortunately I'm too damn old to be getting birthday money anymore, darnit.

I'll report on what deals I find and see what everybody thinks before I go plunking down $$$.

thanx, g
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited October 2002
    airplay isnt the only one in this forum that gets birthday money or the youngest in this forum...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Whats yer' budget?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2002
    He said he can't put out $1000 bucks, so that means he will most likely only be buying mains at first i guess......?? I understand the money issue for sure, it always seems to hold me back on my upgrades HUH!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • pgasus
    edited October 2002
    And Faster gets the Kewpie doll this round! Yup, yer right, I'm taking baby steps and doing the mains first. I need to get out and comparison shop RT70s and others of the lineup. Went Halloween candy shopping last night instead.

Radio Shack has RCA amps in their "professional series" on sale at around $250/300 at 500watts, 100w per channel on surround..... any ideers on quality? More power than my Techics SAGX290 (at a big 50 w per at 5).

What does bi-amped and/or bi-wired mean?

off to work.....
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    I think that you could probably do better than RCA for that kind of coin if you look at used....

search the archives for info on bi-wiring and bi-amping, there are a lot of threads in there that explain it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2002
    Basic version: Bi-amp= when you use even separete amp channels to power high and low freq speakers separetly, power tweeters=1 channel, power mid/bass =1 amp channel, inside the speaker cabinet either from factory or home done the speakers must be wired separetly,

Bi-wire= same as above only you use 2 sets of speaker wire comeing from one amp channel, left channel 2 wire sets hooked into the single output and same for right of course. simple as that.. who knows if it improves much when bi-wire but bi-amping you are adding more power to the overall setup and speakers and a separated signal comeing from a even powered amp hence you can't put 100 wattsx2 and say a 125watt x2 amps together they have to be 4 equal exact outputs, 4 x ????
    well i thought this was the simple version....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp