RTi150 vs LS90

Options
DCIFRTHS
DCIFRTHS Posts: 9
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I have a pair of LS90's that I might be replacing with RTi150's.

Can anyone give me some insight into the sound/quality of the RTi150's?

In addition, how does the silk/polymer tweeter comapre to the older Trilaminate model in the LS90? I'm guessing it might be a bit smoother.

What center is the best match for the RTi150? The 40 or the 400? The 400 has the same tweeter, so I'm guessing that would be the one.

I was thinking of the LS15's, but I don't like the way they look. This is not a knock on anyone who owns them, so please don't start a war ! They're just not for me. But I would like to know h ow would you describe the sound of this speaker when compared to the RTi150 line? Is the ring tweeter that much better.

I haven't started listening yet, but I would really appreciate any feedback you could provide.

Thanks !

EDIT: How do you think the RT800i would compare to the RTi150? I ask because there are less drivers, and I'm wondering if that would give these speakers better accuracy.
Post edited by DCIFRTHS on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I am real interested in a comparison between the 150 and the 800i....

Any1????????
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • DCIFRTHS
    edited October 2002
    Options

Has anyone heard the RTi150's ???
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I just replaced my old monitor 10b pair with the rti 150s. I listened to the lsi 15 as well but since all my other speakers had the dome tweeters, I decided to go with the rti instead. I love them. In the store the lsi seemed more airy with a bit less mid presence, but were very impressive. The only rti series they had to compare to was the rti 70. Those sounded very nice as well. Then I went over to CC, where they had the rti 70 and 150, but no lsi15s, and compared the 70 to the 150. After several back and forths the 150 definately won out. They are now in my house and are impressing me more and more. I moved the monitor 10s to the rear surround spot and will probaly return my recently purchased rti 28s for credit toward the 150s. The monitors 10s as surrounds are a bit bulky, but there is no-one in my house to object and they sound quite nice both with movies and multi channel music. Up front I am using the csi30 and in the rear center are a couple of old yamaha speakers that are OK for now in that position.

Back to the 150s, after several moves I finally got the soundstage and center focus that I like in my room and they sound wonderful. Much tighter bass and smoother midrange than the monitors they replaced. They handle the carver tfm 35x very well and, not that I needed more volume, but these babies can really handle as much as I care to give them and still remain clean, punchy and bright. Joni Mitchell has never sounded so good in my house and I heard sounds on the newest Peter Gabriel CD that I was sure were coming from the surrounds! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Anyway, I really have to quit spending so much money on this suff. All the 6, 12 and 18 month same as cash deals have sucked me into acuiring what is essentially another car payment each month. If I quit now, by this time next year it will all be paid off. In the meantime, I'll just sit back and enjoy.

Whether you get the lsi or the rti, I'm sure you'll be happy. They are both great speakers. If these give as much pleasure as my trusty old monitor 10s I'll be happy.

Happy shopping!!!!!
  • DCIFRTHS
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by stevew14
    ....In the store the lsi seemed more airy with a bit less mid presence, but were very impressive....

Thanks for the detailed response. I have a couple of questions on your statement above.

What do you mean by more airy? Was the treble on the LSi 15's smoother than the RT line?

When you say less mid presence, do you mean they sounded less "boomy" on midrange vocals?

If you didn't already have dome tweeters in your other speakers, would you still have purchased the RT's over the LS's?

Thanks again for your input !
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited October 2002
    Options
    To me, the LSi seemed to present less midrange in general than to rt 70. Maybe the highs were a bit smoother, I am not sure. They just sounded a little less full. The rt 70 mids did not sound boomy with the vocals I heard, just a little fuller. This is not to say the lsi sounded in any way bad. They may well be more detailed and crisp than the RT.

Some say that they probably have a bigger, deeper soundstage than the RT also, I don't know. That is hard for me to tell until they are in my home and have been moved around several times until I am satisfied (an ongoing process). Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to bring both home and set up optimally side by side. The way I have them positioned now, I have what is to me a very good sounstage. They have a rich, full sound with plenty of punchy low end and clear highs. To me they are very smooth . I definately don't need my sub for music anymore. There is a strong center image that is claer and distinct from the sides. Some instruments and voices seem to be further back and at various postions laterally. Some sound as if they are a bit higher up on the wall even. For the most part things stay pretty much within the boundaries of the speakers (I guess because they are kind of close to the side walls) but some recordings I have found do project certain passage nicely to the side and even apparently along the side walls to the surround postion. I have never heard the likes of that before I got these. I am sure there are many different and probably better soundstages to be enjoyed, but not having heard them myself, this is quite enjoyable.

After hearing the basic difference in sound between the two at the first audition place, all I did was compare the 70 to the 150 at another store and that made up my mind. That was Circuit City where they offer the 12 mo. cash deal that I have grown so fond of. Maybe if they had any LSi I would have gotten a better comparison there, but they don't stock them yet here in Houston.

I also kind of like the looks and driver configuration better on the 150, but like the sound, this too is definately a matter of opinion. I like to listen really loud sometimes and I thought higher power handling might be better for me also.

My advice is to try to hear both side by side if possible and see which sound you prefer. If you can't do that, maybe wherever you get them, they will let you try them in your home and you can always return them and try the others if you're not sure about the first ones.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little bit. sorry if I rambled on.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2002
    Options
    To me, the LSi seemed to present less midrange in general than to rt 70. Maybe the highs were a bit smoother, I am not sure. They just sounded a little less full.

As has been discussed here at length and from my own listening experience, The LSi series will reach full potential when they are connnected to a high current amp. rated for at least 4 ohms. A message I got from Polk tech said that on occasion the LSi9 could even drop to the 2 ohm range for short bursts. If the RTi70 and the LSi15 were on similar amps then the RTi could sound better and fuller unless they were on high current gear. The good stuff brings out the best of the LSis. IMO the LSi is a better refined and fuller sounding speaker with tighter bass than the RTi70 when both are at their best. The 70 may "thump" a little louder in the bass region but I'm not even sure that is an accurate representation.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • DCIFRTHS
    edited October 2002
    Options
    It's interesting that these two, very different, speakers come in at the same price point.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I haven't heard the RTi150, but IMO the domes of the RTi line don't compare to the Ring Radiator tweeter.

The LSi line is very flat and refined, and really shine bright with seperates.

Use the search function for comparisons between these two beasts. To put it simply, the LSi is like a Ferrari and the RTi is like a classic muscle car. They both cost a lot, they both go fast, but one is refined, handles better, and may be a bit more luxurious or require premium fuel to get the full performance - while the other is flat out balls to the wall power that will rock your socks off no matter what. It's a matter of personal taste. Get out and listen to em. ;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I like it.......yes I like it
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DCIFRTHS
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz
    ....It's a matter of personal taste. Get out and listen to em. ;)

I heard the RTi 150's tonight, and I prefer the sound of my LS90's. After all these years, the 90's still sound amazing.....

I'm going to try and find the LSi 15's and give them a whirl.

Thanks to all who have replied. I'll keep you posted.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    Options
    The ls90's are fantastic sounding speakers..........I think your going to like the LSI15's even more.......we will see.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.