Question for Lsi9 owners....

begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Can you confirm the dimensions on your Lsi9's ?

The specs say 15 1/2" H x 8 5/8" W 15 1/4" D . Just wondering if this is accurate, especially about the depth. Right now I'm scoping out stands to fit properly.

Thanks.
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2002
    I don't have them, but I'm curious why you'd think that Polk would lie about the measurements of their own speakers......

Just wonderin.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • begbie
    edited October 2002
    Not saying Polk is lying. I'm sure they are the true measurements. It's only that based on the photos I've seen (no local dealer has a demo model) the speaker looks a lot smaller. In actuality, it's probably one of the largest bookshelf speakers out there !:D
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Check out the link in my sig, there is a pic of my living room with the 9's in the rear. They are pretty darn big if you ask me. :)
    The specs on the site are correct.
  • begbie
    edited October 2002
    Sweet. Thanks Phuz!

P.S. Hey don't neglect those Lsi9's and get some more photos of them ! :D
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    Phuz,
    Next time I look at your site you better have those 15's toed-in damnit!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    Phuz and I went over some placement options,I think he just needs to snap a couple new pic's.He has that doorway to the left,it's alittle tuff in his room.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    Ok they are toed in just a little bit. Maybe 1/2 to 1 inch on each side.

What you guys can't really see in that pic, is how screwed up the layout of that room is *and* how small it really is.

linridge-b1.gif

I tried your recommendations Dan, and it did in fact widen the soundstage. So much that it left a huge center gap. There was no longer a full frontal sound. After moving the speakers just 2-3 inches further out there was a sort of seperation that occured at the sweet spot. I could easily tell that I was listening to one speaker on the left and one on the right. A lot of the imaging just went right around the sweetspot at this point. I guess if I had toed in a bit more after the move I might have gotten some improvement, but I'm really happy with the position now with the very slight toe in.

I'm anxious to hear what Russman and the others say about it this weekend as well.

After moving them back to the original spot (the spot that I found after days of slight movements to fine tune the sound) - I got my center stage back. Dave Matthews was back at center stage, and I was again engulfed in... hrmm.. I dunno how to say it other than a slight ambiance and togetherness that comes with this particular placement. The sound goes from way outside of the speaker boundries and flows all the way over to center and to the other side. There is no gap. The only 'seperation' is due instruments located 'leftstage' or 'rightstage.' This seems to give the sound an almost live feel to it. I just wish I could really crank it up to those levels. :)

As we all know the LSi line is very picky about placement. I think I've done pretty well with the 15's in this particular room. Trust me I know what you guys are getting at, but that stuff just doesn't apply in this room.

I'll get the guys to put them to the test this weekend, and I'll post any changes that we make. I'm sure they will verify the wacky acoustics of this place as well. ;)

I really would like to widen the soundstage a bit, but not if I'm going to loose the center stage. I swear, when listening to DVD's in 2ch - I almost didn't need a center channel at all.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    As we all know the LSi line is very picky about placement.

AMEN!! I tried moving my mains closer to the TV and it sounded horrible! Wider is Better!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by Frank Z

AMEN!! I tried moving my mains closer to the TV and it sounded horrible! Wider is Better!!

I agree in most cases. Your mancave seems to be deeper than my lil ole living room. Your sweetspot is how far from the TV? If I were sitting 12-16 or so feet away from my TV and mains wider would deffinately be better, but in my place I'm only a good 6-8 feet from my TV and mains... so their current location is just about right. For my one person sweetspot at least.....
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I'm glad to see you moved them abit.Toe in and distance out go hand and hand.It's not an exact science where or how they should be placed.Every single room will sound different and what works is what works I'm glad you found it.

My lsi 15's are 9 feet apart and I sit 10 feet away.I have moved them around like a mindless idiot.I have found with the Lsi 15's, they require less toe in then most other speakers Ive setup except Martin Logan and Mirage.

My room sucks for sound,I got wood walls and ceiling.Bad and worse.........but I will be moving in December or early Janurary into our new house.........finally.Then after I build the room in the basement will I know what the full potential of te Lsi 15's and tthe rest of the system is...........juiced I am.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    You shouldn't really have much to build, if the rig is going in the basement. All that concrete will be about as inert as you can get. Now reflections, thats another issue in and of itself.

If I remember, I'm going to bring some acoustic tiles for Phuz, in that small a room, he may just be hearing a 'second' reflection from the wall behind the speakers. It won't look pretty, but a little tape and a couple panels and we should easily find out if thats a piece of the puzzle, or not...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    He should "crawl" around on the floor and listen for standing waves and see where the floors reflections are..........WAAAAAAAAA.......sorry I couldn't resist.
    Dan