Gov't at work....expensive snacks at the DOJ

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hahaha....kind of put the situation (read: waste) at my gov't department to shame.

Expensive snacking at the DOJ
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2007
    Glad to see the money that was earned by me, then stolen, was put to good use.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    More than $13,000 was spent on cookies and brownies for 1,542 people who attended a four-day "Weed and Seed" conference in August 2005, according to the audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine.

Expensive brownies at 'Weed & Seed', hmmm....
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Anyone who's ever worked for a large corporation knows that those numbers are pretty standard for corporate spending, so it's not surprising that the government spends the same. It's just more appalling because it affects each of our pockets more directly (and involuntarily).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007
    can't wait till new politicians roll in and let the government take over health care. I'm sooooo looking forward to those new taxes :rolleyes:
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    can't wait till new politicians roll in and let the government take over health care. I'm sooooo looking forward to those new taxes :rolleyes:

I'm so much more concerned about the restrictions on personal freedom that would come with such a move, even more than the taxes.

I had an argument recently about seat belt laws with someone - everyone shoudl wear their seat belt, but it's up to them if they want to kill themselves, so let 'em. The only valid counterargument is "well, if someone crashes in a car and isn't wearing a seat belt, it costs everyone else more money to fix them" because of the way insurance and emergency rooms work.

As soon as we have socialized health care, that argument can be spread to ANYTHING, including how you eat and take care of yourself. If you're eating Big Macs, you're costing us all tax money for our socialized health care. It's frightening to think the door you could open there.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited September 2007
    ... and reduced benefits ... and lag time ... and ...
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited September 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    More than $13,000 was spent on cookies and brownies for 1,542 people who attended a four-day "Weed and Seed" conference in August 2005, according to the audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine.

Expensive brownies at 'Weed & Seed', hmmm....

Actually that's not all that bad. It breaks down to $8.43per person. Figure in food cost, labor, room charge, cleanup, china breakage, theft, etc., any beverages (probably)? then the caterer or hotel didn't walk away with a huge profit. Also that's over a four day period, so all expenses are quite high to cover a four day catered affair vs a single day. Now as far as a $600 toilet seat goes!!! Hmmmmm.

How's about the millions they spent on BOSE noise cancelling headphones for combat pitots, they didn't work..oh well thank you very much Mr. Government.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Shizelbs
    edited September 2007

Its not the taxes I fear. Its the increased morbidity and mortality that will occur when they take over. It genuinely concerns and scares me. I hate dealing with government healthcare programs as a healthcare professional. I cringe at the thought of dealing with them as a patient.
  • Shizelbs
    edited September 2007
    ... and reduced benefits ... and lag time ... and ...

Don't forget about stifled innovation and overall progress.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Its not the taxes I fear. Its the increased morbidity and mortality that will occur when they take over. It genuinely concerns and scares me. I hate dealing with government healthcare programs as a healthcare professional. I cringe at the thought of dealing with them as a patient.

I'm willing to bet that most of the people who are screaming for socialized medicine have never set foot in a military/VA hospital. My dad is retired Army, lives 5 minutes away from the largest military base in the US (Fort Hood) and would rather drive 30+ minutes to a private hospital and deal with CHAMPUS than go to what the Army calls a hospital on the base. I wonder why... :rolleyes:
  • Shizelbs
    edited September 2007
    I've heard plenty of horror stories about VA hospitals.
  • Shizelbs
    edited September 2007
    Seriously, does anyone understand how crappy of a concept it is?

You see your physician to control your chronic pain. You have a genuine need for painkillers. However, your doctor faces the prospect of losing his license because he has the DEA breathing down his neck telling him he prescribes too many narcotics.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    Getting back to government waste, Boeing (on behalf of the U.S. Army) sent a couple pieces of my product from Fort Walton Beach, FL back to my company to tighten a few screws down for them.

Yes, $1,600 in freight, labor charges, and packaging to tighten screws. No waste, no waste at all. Not to mention, they overpaid their invoice as well because the price we quoted them for the "repairs" was higher than the actual invoice ended up being.

I'd say I am not complaining since it's more money in everyone's pocket here, but in the end it's really not. Just getting back a miniscule fraction of what I put in because of waste just like that billions and billions of times over. :rolleyes:
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    +1 what Demi said. I work with government subcontractors (won't say who so I can keep my job), and they spend days at a time here inspecting things like screws, colors of things, paperwork minutiae, etc, all on Uncle Sam's dime. They fly up from Texas probably twice a month and do this. It's absolutely absurd.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I'm so much more concerned about the restrictions on personal freedom that would come with such a move, even more than the taxes.

As soon as we have socialized health care, that argument can be spread to ANYTHING,

Putting what could amount to your actual existence in the hands of this government is very, very scary.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2007
    God Bless our Government Workers and help us perform our duties to the satisfaction of the Club Polk membership.:rolleyes: :p;)

RT1
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    I do not know about the USA, but most people in Canada who speak badly of gov't workers (Federal that is) are just jealous and envious of their salaries and even more so of their benefits and pension plans. No, I do not work for the Feds, the wife does. Ching, Ching.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°