Why Don't People Think??????

gadgetdad
gadgetdad Posts: 34
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Won a pair of RT1000is on the bay. Guy had them listed as 600is. In a nut shell, one amp was bad, no scratches, etc.. Total $177 shipped. He stated he was upgrading to Yamaha NS-555s. HA HA They arrived Friday while I was at work. I couldn't wait to get home. As I opened the first box I cringed, when I saw the top and bottom of the speaker dead against the box. There was and had never been anything protecting them from the horrible world of transport. The top corners of both speakers were cracked, both pedestals damaged, and the bottom of one smashed in. I KNOW, I KNOW!!! But shipping risk, insurance and everything else aside, WHY DON'T PEOPLE THINK ???????
TOY INVENTORY
TOSHIBA 65HM167 (DLP)
ONKYO TX-SR603X (AVR)
Logitech Harmony 880 (REMOTE)
PureAV PF60 (POWER)
polkaudio CS400i (CENTER)
polkaudio RT1000i (MAINS)
polkaudio FX300i (SURROUNDS)
polkaudio RT25i (REARS)
polkaudio PSW350 (SUB)
DefTech SuperCube I (SUB)
Post edited by gadgetdad on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited August 2007
    When I shipped my Definitives...

I encased them in a 2" heavy duty foam case with upwards of 4" of clearance in some parts of the box!

People are idiots!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited August 2007
    Sounds like to me your seller was thinking.............thinking about smokin' another fat one.

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • gadgetdad
    gadgetdad Posts: 34
    edited August 2007
    I think God was paying me back for trying to get a steal, I mean deal.
    TOY INVENTORY
    TOSHIBA 65HM167 (DLP)
    ONKYO TX-SR603X (AVR)
    Logitech Harmony 880 (REMOTE)
    PureAV PF60 (POWER)
    polkaudio CS400i (CENTER)
    polkaudio RT1000i (MAINS)
    polkaudio FX300i (SURROUNDS)
    polkaudio RT25i (REARS)
    polkaudio PSW350 (SUB)
    DefTech SuperCube I (SUB)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    I worked for UPS for 15 years in IT (and the hub for 5 years as a teamster). At one time we had to go out on IT claims. People think packing is throwing in some cloths in the box (since they need to anyways right?). PC is smashed. 100 pound servers just put in a tiny box... Server = bent. People think that carriers move each package on a feather pillow. Packages are rammed at extremely high rate on powerful belts and when a package gets stuck (jam).. boxes start exploding (you should see all the cool stuff I saw from drugs to cow's sperm and dead cow heads).

90% of claims are denied are fully justified to be denied due to packing.
    :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to fully agree with the statement above. People don't have a clue as to how to really pack an item for shipment. I feel that UPS takes a lot of needless heat on this forum.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited August 2007
    It's always best to discuss with the seller, in detail, how an audio item will be packed and shipped before the event actually happens. Bubble wrap and peanuts will not cut it. If the seller/shipper doesn't agree to do it right, walk away no matter how good the deal is.

In your case, you're screwed because the carrier will not honor any insurance coverage because they weren't packed properly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    Up a little late aren't we? When does your hair rest?
  • F1nut
    edited August 2007
    Shank of the evening, my good man. You wish you had my hair!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited August 2007
    This is how he should of done it... ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    A philosophical question---

Are people who do things like this stupid, lazy, products of a horrible upbringing, high, or a horrible combination of all three?
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • F1nut
    edited August 2007
    IMNSHO, stupid AND lazy.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2007
    Trey, did you get that idea from me?

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,162
    edited August 2007
    Have you been to the Grocery store or to the local mall lately? Stupidity is everywhere and it continues to breed stupidity faster than the population of China. It's ridiculous some of the stupid crap people do and say. It's an epidemic.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    I received a 60 pound amp in an apple box once. The box was twice as big as the amp and had big 2" round holes all over it for apples to breath. You could look right in and see the amp laying in there, no packing whatsoever. Don't know how but it was in fine condition when delivered.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited August 2007
    I don't know if they are stupid, or just too cheap to pay to ship a bigger box.

It happens here too. The last two items I got from the FM were very poorly packed. Both had damage.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2007
    Luckily, my last Mac amp was shipped quite well. Double boxed, tons of bubble wrap and foam. Took 10+ minutes to unpack it. I would have had a heart attack if it was packed as you described.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2007
    The last thing I bought on a'gon, I paid the seller an extra $10 to double box it. It took a little convincing too because it had the original box and packing but why take the risk.
  • blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited August 2007
    There is a pack & ship store that I always use to ship anything fragile such as audio and video equipment. I tell people upfront that the shipping cost is about 20-25 percent higher than the UPS quote because I use professional packing place.

Over the years they've packed and shipped a Litespeed titanium bike, a Bang & Olufsen system (with Penta speakers) and many other strange and fragile items. Every single one of them arrived in pristine condition. Most people who received the items from me used the word "overpacked", but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Just as an aside, I had a friend who bought four 18" rims for his car from someone on eBay at a cost of about $1,600. The rims arrived with no boxes or packing material of any kind. The person who shipped them attached the shipping label directly to the rims and shipped them without any protection. Needless to say the rims were ore than a little scratched up!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited August 2007
    We ship UPS everyday. You should have at least 2" of foam or some sort of padding between your item and the inside of the box for fragile items.Double boxing is a big help also. I have seen drivers through, kick, walk on boxes, you name it. And always insure your items. Those speekers were big. I would have put them on a pallet and shipped them with a trucking co.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited August 2007
    it's not like packing is rocket science. I just keep the packing people have sent me, then use it to ship to others. I like to joke around and say Russman packed half the **** I have sold on here, the bay, and audiogon :D

If I pack a component from scratch and dont have original box and material, I double box. I put component in a small box, wrapped in bubble wrap and peanuts, then put that box in another box a number of sizes bigger, and pack with peanuts, more bubblewrap, solid styrophome if I got any laying around (especially the heavier stuff).

I then do the shake test. If I shake it and feel no movement on the inside, its good.

not too hard.

I never ship speaks though unless i got original packing, and I never have
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2007
    The guy who shipped my Definitives made the packaging bomb-proof. Literally.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    We ship UPS everyday. You should have at least 2" of foam or some sort of padding between your item and the inside of the box for fragile items.Double boxing is a big help also. I have seen drivers through, kick, walk on boxes, you name it. And always insure your items. Those speekers were big. I would have put them on a pallet and shipped them with a trucking co.

If a supervisor catch's a teamster kicking, throwing or stepping on a box... They would be sitting in a room with a shop Stuart. UPS is very serious about treating box's right and have a "hand to surface" rule that’s strictly enforced. You could call up the customer service complain line if you see that again in the future and the driver will be dealt with.

One basic problem is that drivers make a LOT of money ($70000 a year) but work a LOT of hours. By and large they are all extremely pissed at the company, every single one. They do a lot of stuff out of pure anger. But there was a statistic out once that 99% of drivers don’t make it to retirement because their body’s simply fail from the work. Its pretty hard core stuff at UPS.

When I was 25 in the best shape of my life (body building and cut, not fat like I am now)... I was in the "over 70" section. They would drop 10 over 70's on our belt at one time and you would have to pick those things up and sort them. Half the time you were tossing them around just to get to the next one so it didn’t blow by down the belt. I was out 2 times for 2 months each time in full out back pain (couldn’t stand) in physical rehab on 1000mg of oxicodone.

Luckily a few months later I was moved into IT. Even now my body is shot from 5 years in the hub, lots of knee and back problems... even 10+ years later.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited August 2007
    1000mg of oxicodone.

Ive had 20's and 40's and WOW bye bye knee pain... your a beast if you can take 1K mg's at once. Hell percocetes are only 5 and 10..
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    The tuner I bought from HearingImpared (Joe) was packed so well it was almost frustrating to get the damn thing out of the boxes (yes, more than one) it was literally packed REALLY well in one box that was packed in a HUGE box suspended all around by packing material...