Done with Home Depot, from now on it's Lowe's

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
My last 3 trips to Home Depot have been a complete joke. Between horrible customer service, lack of having products in stock and the time it takes to get though the checkout, I'm done. Lowe's is so much better in every aspect it's not even comparable to how horrid Home Depot has gotten.

First: It took over 15 minutes at the checkout for them to find the right price on the sheets of plywood I was buying.

Second: It took over 20 minutes to check out in the garden shop. Very, very poor CS, the guy rung up wrong prices and way over charged me on quantities I was buying. Example; I bought 4 2x2's he charged me for 9. This was just one of many items. The ones I did not catch I had to wait for him to go to the return counter to credit my card.

Third (today): Their big saw is broken and they have no 5/8" 2'x4' sheets of plywood in stock and I cannot haul 4'x8' sheet of plywood home in my MINI.

Today was it. I'm done with Home Depot FOREVER! From here on out it's Lowe's. Their much less busy, always have the items I want in stock and while it's a bit farther of a drive I won't be wasting time as I seem to do every time I go to Home Depot.

To Home Depot: I give you the one finger salute.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited June 2007
    Home Depot is teh suxors...

I bought the materials for my bathroom remodel from those jokers...NEVER AGAIN. Shattered half a box of my subway tiles...so the shower tiles didn't extend to the ceiling...Gave us the wrong comode and tank...BOZOS.

I now make the 15 minute extra drive to Lowe's.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2007
    don't blame home depot. blame yourself for owning a mini. you need a truck. just kidding. i too have noticed home depot and their suckage.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    I usually go to Lowes, but occasionally I need to go to Home Depot for items Lowes doesn't. I wish one of the two would pick up Benjamen Moore Paint already instead of the garbage they carry.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,679
    edited June 2007
    Patronize your local hardware store (if they still exist). You may pay a bit more, but probably won't have any of the problems you ascribe to the Big Box home stores.

We're fortunate enough to have a small local chain, Moore's, in the next town. Excellent service, OK selection and prices, and they do have Benjamin Moore paint, too! That's my preferred brand for interior painting, too.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2007
    I've abandoned HD in favor to Lowe's since 2003. Cleaner isles, helpful CSs, etc. The exact identical reason for abandoning WallFart in favor of Target, back in 2000.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    I sometimes feel the product line is better at HD then Lowe's, where Lowe's will carry a lower line at times just to carry something different. Other then that I hate all big box stores as they close others around them and they will change product line just because it's cheaper. So you with a water filter is forced to buy a whole kit as you have trouble replacing a filter. Sad.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited June 2007
    I thought Behr's was number one rated?
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    It is

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    Its opposite here. The lowes has horrible CS and the home depot is great. I also really like shopping at home depot ever since i saw the article where the 4 guys got fired for help catching a shop lifter. Now I just fill my cart and walk out the door. Dont have to mess with 15 minute lines at all.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2007
    They both suck, period.

I used to work in a lumber yard when I was a kid, woodworking is a hobby of mine, and I do high amp dc telcom power for a living. I pretty much have most of their depts covered. It's sad when their customers ask me what I think after speaking to an employee, and getting the impression they're not so smart on the subject at hand.

As far as their merits. HD is a little better at the blood and guts things, Lowes is a little better at decorator items. Niether has anything beyond basic stuff in stock.

Neither is worth a damn at special order items, although, if you're remodeling a kitchen like I just did, HD designers are paid hourly. while Lowes are on commission. I went ith HD's kitchen design people, ordered the cabs, and installed them myself.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    I agree lol, their com's show happy happy employees just waiting to help. When I go I can’t find anyone and when I do they are avoiding people like crazy, clearly not making eye contact and you have to brow beat them to find out where stair way lighting is.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited June 2007
    After working at Lowe's for over a year, I can't stand that place... HD people are at least a little happy in my area, while Lowe's everyone is miserable. And stuck up.

I'm sure its regional as most stores are, but I stick with HD around here, ever since I left Lowe's Management! Although Lowes' are much cleaner and have higher quality of product, I just can't stand the stuck up attitude. Also, HD seems twice as close as Lowe's with 2x the stores across the country.

But I hear ya, man, both are lacking in CS. If I ever opened a store, and had employee's treating people like they do, no freaking way would they last more than 10 minutes.

But really... what do you expect for 7 bucks an hour as most of them make?
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Patronize your local hardware store (if they still exist). You may pay a bit more, but probably won't have any of the problems you ascribe to the Big Box home stores.

We're fortunate enough to have a small local chain, Moore's, in the next town. Excellent service, OK selection and prices, and they do have Benjamin Moore paint, too! That's my preferred brand for interior painting, too.

+1 on this post
    Both the biggie hardware stores suck down here. True value has all the stuff I typically need damn near the price of the big stores. The big stores kinda give you the kid in a candy store feeling, but I usually end up leaving pissed cause in that big of a store they don't have what you really need. They are like Radio shack is now. Can't find crap! I try to stick with the lumber yard, and the local hardware store.

Screw big industry. The little guy can't make a buck anymore!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Patronize your local hardware store (if they still exist). .

I do this for plumbing stuff. Ask someone at home depot about something and you'll get a glazed look. I go to my local plumbing joint and they are EXTREMELY helpful. yeah, you pay a little more but who the hell cares.

drain for 25 bucks, or 30 at the local joint, but they can answer any question you have? no brainer
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2007
    My local hardware store is an Ace, yet Ace put the local Mom and Pop Hardware (K&E Hardware) out of business.

But guess what, less then 1/2 mile away a Home Depot is going to open, less then a year from now. I sure hope to see Ace put under once HD opens. While I'm having an anti-Home Depot moment I loved K&E and have hated Ace for killing them off.
    If...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    Ace isn't a big box though, they are a mom-and-pop setup. They are franchised. Yes, they are still a big, corporate company but the store owners own the store. The store owner gets the store space and then signs up for the franchise and Ace gives them all kinds of promo items and handles their logistics, inventory control and advertising and the owner handles the business of that particular store and pays fees and percentages to Ace Hardware. I would rather see an Ace Hardware in town than a big box store.

That being said, I would much rather go to my local Lowe's than Home Depot. The prices are better on better products and the people are actually pleasant and helpful. The only thing HD has on Lowe's is selection. They have more of a variety of items. Lowe's is just a better environment and a better overall experience.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    I couldn't agree more with supporting your local hardware store. We have one a couple of blocks from the house we bought about a year ago and it has been a godsend. Being an older home, I've had to tackle countless projects (most of which I've never attempted), and the guys at the local joint have always steered me in the right direction.

The few times I've flubbed up and had to get something on a Sunday at either Lowe's or HD, the associates were anything but helpful. Believe me when I say I've always come loaded with questions. Unfortunately... at the big box stores in my area, they either answer esoterically or are nowhere to be found.

Yeah.. I don't mind shelling out a few extra coins for something at the local joint. But generally the help they offer me can't be measured monetarily. And I'm supporting a mom and pop operation in my very own neighborhood, which has it's own rewards.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited June 2007
    Both Home Depot and Lowe's closed to my city are fine. Sometimes, they are low in staffs and busy, they are tired and a bit rush in service, but that is understandable. No complain.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    I couldn't agree more with supporting your local hardware store. We have one a couple of blocks from the house we bought about a year ago and it has been a godsend. Being an older home, I've had to tackle countless projects (most of which I've never attempted), and the guys at the local joint have always steered me in the right direction.

The few times I've flubbed up and had to get something on a Sunday at either Lowe's or HD, the associates were anything but helpful. Believe me when I say I've always come loaded with questions. Unfortunately... at the big box stores in my area, they either answer esoterically or are nowhere to be found.

Yeah.. I don't mind shelling out a few extra coins for something at the local joint. But generally the help they offer me can't be measured monetarily. And I'm supporting a mom and pop operation in my very own neighborhood, which has it's own rewards.
    +1
    Thank you for posting EXACTLY what I feel.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    +1 on this post
    Both the biggie hardware stores suck down here. True value has all the stuff I typically need damn near the price of the big stores. The big stores kinda give you the kid in a candy store feeling, but I usually end up leaving pissed cause in that big of a store they don't have what you really need. They are like Radio shack is now. Can't find crap! I try to stick with the lumber yard, and the local hardware store.

+1 on your post
    I feel the same about Target when looking for item 9.99999 out of 10 I leave with nothing.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2007
    I just got back from Lowe's. They had what I needed (3/8" exterior plywood) and were able to cut it down for me. All that with great CS, very friendly and happy people, the saw guy even chatted with me while doing his job along with a very cute Lowe's girl.

Home Depot can't touch the CS that Lowe's gives and I'll go, even spend more, to support a better place to shop.
    If...
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    ..along with a very cute Lowe's girl.

we need details, Ron. THAT alone would be enough reasons for me to frequent the place...:p
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.