SDA 1's not A,B,or C sound bad

Options
Gary Batson
Gary Batson Posts: 124
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I'm the original owner of a pair of Polk SDA 1's bought in 1983. These speakers have been in storage for more than 15 years. But now I want to hear them again in a surround setup. I've set them up for a listen and love the SDA effect, But the speakers just don't sound good. I know these are great speakers and I'm not going to give up on them. So I need your help .
I've read a lot of threads. So I know there are people here that know their stuff about these speakers.
This is what they sound like. The bass is deep and has texture. It'll surprise you sometimes. But theres not much of it. Compared to the rest of the speaker the bass is almost nonexistant. The midrang is probably OK. But it's hard to tell because the upper midrange/lower trebble is so excessive. It's earpiercing at higher volume. The tweeters sound good though. Cymbals and the like sound crisp, clean, clear, and natural.
These speakers look mint. But are unbearable to listen to for any length of time.
What's wrong??? I need advise from someone who's smarter than I am.

By the way, The speakers are wired in phase.
Post edited by Gary Batson on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I had the same problem with my original 2's. I disconnected my sda tweeters, and replaced the resistor in the stereo tweeter with a lower value. It made a world of difference.

Welcome to Club Polk
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    OK; Good to hear from both of you!!! I disconnected the interconnect cable and the sound was still the same (still earpiercing) except the SDA side wasn't working. So then I covered the working tweeters with dixie cups (talk about sounding strange, swirly, Like real bad MP3) just to block the sound and see what the rest of the speaker sounded like. VIOLA!!! All the offending sound was gone! So it comes down to the tweeters. These are some very loud tweeters. I can see now how so many of them are blown. I don't mind disconnecting the SDA tweeters. Polk thought we needed them at the time these speakers were made then later took them out. I do need to tone the stereo tweeters down. But I want to do it right. I'm open for suggestions.
    I really expected to hear my crossovers had gone bad due to age. Of course that could still be the problem, Or that I need new tweeters. Nobody seems to like the original tweeters.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Call Ken Swauger at Polk Customer Service 800-377-7655. Identify yourself as a ClubPolk member (for a discount) and order the RD0194-1 tweeter and replace them all. I think you will notice a substanial difference. The crossover may be bad, but I would try the tweeters first. I don't think there is a replacement crossover, so if it is bad you may have to rebuild it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You have the SL1000 tweeters. replacements are the RDO194-1 tweeters. Tell them your a forum member and get a discount. These tweeters are sweet.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I bought 4 RDO's and installed 2 of them in my RTA 11t's and they are a noticeable improvement. They only have a few hours on them so far and from what I read they get better after you put some hours on them.

Good luck
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    OK; I'll call about new tweeters Monday. I hate to waste good tweeters, But I'll do it if I have to.
    One thing worth mentioning. I noticed when I had the tweeters covered that their range extends down into the upper midrange. Way lower than ordinary tweeters. The mid drivers range doesn't extend very high at all. That could be why Polk included them in the deminsional array. They do more than just tweet.

Shack; I'm from Tennessee too!!! HI YALL !!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited May 2007
    Options
    What are you powering them with? How far away from the back and side walls are they? Are they toed in?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Check for air leaks that might lessen bass response too. Loose screws are sometimes a culprit.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I was afraid I would be asked that question. In the old days sonny, I powered these speakers with a Hafler amp with about the same power I have now but that amp had a huge transformer in it. It was made to handle difficult loads down to two ohms. What I'm using now is a Yamaha surround receiver with about 115 watts per channel. But these speakers are hard on it. At medium high volumes the internal fan comes on. It never comes on with my other speakers.

They are sort of in an awkward place right now. I just set them up for a listen in front of the cabinets that the equipment and speakers I'm using right now are in.

The bass might really be OK. It's just that the tweeters were blaring so loud that was all I heard. When I had the tweeters covered, Everything else sounded much better.

When I started this thread I thought my problem was more than tweeters. In fact I thought it was the crossover because I had so much upper midrange. Now I'm thinking it might just be the tweeters. I'll replace those and see what happens.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Sonny? LOL, I'm probably older than you.

Anyway, Yammie's are bright to begin with. I have no doubt that your ears hurt. The RD0194-1's may tame it down a bit, but I'd start looking for a new AVR, if that's what you plan on using for power these days. Of course, proper placement will increase the bass and help balance out the frequencies.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engtaz
    edited May 2007
    Options
    F1nut is right on the money with
    F1nut wrote: »
    Sonny?
    Anyway, Yammie's are bright to begin with. I have no doubt that your ears hurt. The RD0194-1's may tame it down a bit, but I'd start looking for a new AVR, if that's what you plan on using for power these days. Of course, proper placement will increase the bass and help balance out the frequencies.
    engtaz

• dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited May 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do the Yahama receivers have sufficient high current to properly power the SDAs? I find my 1Cs need plenty of current to sound their best; Odyssey Extreme monos seem to mate well with the ICs with the rest of my gear, driving the 1Cs effortlessly.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited May 2007
    Options
    The replacements aren't drop-ins either. The replacement faceplate is larger than the SL1000 faceplate.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I'm keeping the surround sound for movies so I'll just plug another amp into the pre-outs for the main front speakers. I still have the Hafler amp I used with these speakers in the eighties. If it doesn't blow up when I plug it in I'll use it. It was a good sounding amp. What I want to know is, If these speakers are as efficient as the manual says. Why are they so power hungry?
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I ordered new tweeters today. They're not dropins? What do I have to do???
  • F1nut
    edited May 2007
    Options
    The RD0's are drop in's for all except the Peerless.

President of Club Polk

• Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I got the new tweeters in the mail today:D . I was not impressed with the cheep looking plastic faceplates:eek: . And black silk:confused: ? Must come from black worms. Looks like black plastic to me:confused: . Put me in a Pessimistic mood:( . I took the original tweeters with the heavy steel faceplates out and proseeded to install the new plastic tweeters. My mood got worse:mad: when I saw the screwholes didn't line up. Even worse is that they almost lined up meaning the new screwholes will be on the edge of the old screwholes possibly makeing the old and new holes useless:mad: :mad: . You would think that if Polk wanted to keep their vintage speakers alive, they would make a replacement tweeter that actually fit the speaker it was made for. I found that if I turned the tweeters cockeyed that two opposite corners on each tweeter would line up with the old screwholes. Not the way I wanted them installed. But a good temporary install just to see how they sounded. I put on Huey lewis - Small World and listened. Hum..sounds pretty much the same:confused: , But can't tell really? So I finnished the album. I think they might sound better? I'm getting happier. Then I put on Elton John - Yellow Brick Road. I notice my ears aren't hurting. That pointed end of a pencil stuck in my ear feeling that I got with the other tweeters. I'm actually enjoying the music:) . So I guess I did the right thing:D .

Now...How to install these things right? I guess I'll have to drill new holes. :(
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Thanks everybody for all your input. I really appreciate it. Any further comments are welcome, welcome, welcome.:)
  • F1nut
    edited May 2007
    Options
    They are rubberized silk domes, not plastic and as Sal commented, don't even listen to them until you put 50 hours on them.

President of Club Polk

• Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Gary,

Hearingimpared has a trick, he takes toothpicks and inserts them into the existing holes with glue or epoxy, let it dry 24 hours, cut the tootpicks flush and screw in your screws at their new locations.

I hear you about the cheap plastic, be very careful **** them in, I installed 8 of them and by the time I got to the 6th one I heard a little crack, I went a little too hard with the screw and cracked the faceplate.

I'm ordering another one.

I like the black plastic domes, I think it looks really good & they do sound really nice!

Also, they will break in and sound better after around 50 hours ;)

Sal

YEA... I think the black looks good too. Matches the other speakers. The toothpick thing sounds like a good idea.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Now get rid of the Yammi! I did. To really do justice to SDA's you need a separate amp. The early ones are 4 ohms. Some receivers claim to be 4 ohm capable, but most just limit currant. Currant is what SDA's need most. Do some searching on Recommended amps, and receivers for SDA's.
    Enjoy
    The tweets get better, and better with time!
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I 2nd Ben's comments.
    engtaz

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I squeeze wood putty into the holes of vintage Polk speakers prior to re-installing drivers. The toothpick fix works quite well for torn up holes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    LASARETH; So you're the one bought the amp. I was watching it too. Wasn't going to buy it. Just watching. I've seen your tl drivers on ebay too. Would consider them in case I find my dream speakers and need backups. But I don't do PayPal.

I need to try the Hafler amp I used with these speakers (SDA 1's) eons ago. It's been stored in it's original box in the attic (ouch :eek: ) since '91. It might blow up. It might need to be rebuilt. Or it might sound good as ever. I want to use it. I bought it as a kit with what was a lot of money to me at the time. My soul's in it.
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I've heard a sonic explosion before though.
    when I was a teenager, or younger? I pluged a perfectly good speaker into the wall to see what electricity sounded like. :eek: Electricity is very loud!!!:D :D:D
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    Options
    COOL!!! Live and learn. :D