I feel like an ****

janmike
janmike Posts: 6,146
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
I purchased a game storage case for my little guy a week ago so that he could keep all his DS games together. Yes, the DS came after the Gamecube. I purchased it on eBay for a few bucks and it came with two additional pens. Kind of a neat little thing that would hold 6 games.

It arrived the other day and I let my son open the box indicating that the mail was for him. He just turned 8. I told him he could safely keep his games in the case and promptly asked him to go get the games. He said "After dinner Daddy." No problem.

So after dinner I ask him again to go get the games and he says he will do it later. This sounds funny. No, please go get the games now and we will see how they fit. That look on his face said it right away. So I ask where the games were and he says that he cannot find them in his room. The hunt begins.

Between my wife, son and myself we search the house high and low. No Games. We trace back the last week and remember that he went over to a little friends with his games and DS. My wife was going to call the mother (they are good friends) and ask if Sean (our son) left his games over there. That would happen the next day. At that point I ask Sean if he left the games at his friend’s house. He says he may have but does not remember. Then big **** Dad says that the bike will stay in the garage until the games are found. Punitive measure in effect. Mean old ****.

The next day, before the call, we remember that Sean had another little friend over at our place and they were playing games inside the house at one point. That was after he had gone to visit the other friend and therefore the games were brought home. My wife makes two calls to both mothers and gets the inside scoop from the one. The little boy that was over at our place was band from their house a year ago after items began to disappear every time that child would come over to play.

My wife ends up talking to the mother of the child that was at our place and asks if she could have a look around and see if Sean had left his games there last weekend when he was over. Sean was at his place part of the day and then they came back to our place. Follow me so far. The mother says she will ask her son and the conversation goes something like this.

“Did Sean leave his games over here? No they are at his place and one game is inside the DS game and the other is sitting on top of the toy box next to DS. That was the answer, but it did not really answer the initial question. NO games. Hmmmmmm.

So now Dad, that’s me, will tell his son that he can ride his bike. I will not tell him what I suspect as I have no proof. The only proof I have is that Dad started to punish his son before he had all the facts. For you older folks, it kind of reminds me of a typical episode of “Leave It To Beaver” when Ward Cleaver has to eat crow at the end of the show. I will be back at the store dishing out $40 a pop for some more games as well. Let’s see, that is $40 X …… :o
Michael ;)
In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
Post edited by janmike on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Don't feel like an ****... you and your wife are raising Sean to be a good boy.. and later a good responsible man.

Don't beat yourself up... it's part of being a caring parent.. take your son out to the store to replace the game(s)... and let him pick the ones he wants.

Maybe Sean needs not to hang around that particular boy anymore though. :(
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    Yo man don't beat yourself up on that. . . you atleast showed your boy that HE is ultimately responsible for his stuff and that there are consequences to not taking care of them.

I have a 10 year old and he's a handful cause of the ADHD, yes to anyone who wants to start with me, this kid really has it, no **** diagnosis. The hardest thing is punishing him especially when he gives me the doe in the headlight look as though it is the first time he's heard a rule. Eight is a good age to start teaching responsibility. . . I've done it twice so far and the 23 year old is a good dude. . . the 10 year old is learning.

As far as the little thief is concerned I would be over that kids house lickity split with a list of the missing games and presenting it to the parents and asking if they suddendly appeared. . . I wouldn't let the kid or the parents off the hook. . PERIOD. To much of that **** going around these days in this pussyfied non-confrontational politically correct world we are living in. There are ways to work them without making it seem like you're calling their little angel a thief.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    You did the right thing. Sean may act embarrassed now but he's learned an early lesson in right or wrong. One day in life he will remember this.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Don't feel bad. Your trying to teach responsibilty. Just remember when your parents did the same thing to you. It happens. Doing nothing is worse. Shows you don't care and that you don't have to be responsible. If I make a mistake in judgement, I sit down with my kids and explain why I did what I did and for what reason.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    Don't be too hard on yourself, there's no such thing as an "experienced" parent. We are ALL first timers, and usually by the time we figure it out, it's too late. That's why we get a second chance as Grandparents.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    Part of the problem is those DS games are so damn small:p

I've lost some games in my own house because they are the size of a postage stamp...
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited May 2007
    Yo man don't beat yourself up on that. . . you atleast showed your boy that HE is ultimately responsible for his stuff and that there are consequences to not taking care of them.

I have a 10 year old and he's a handful cause of the ADHD, yes to anyone who wants to start with me, this kid really has it, no **** diagnosis. The hardest thing is punishing him especially when he gives me the doe in the headlight look as though it is the first time he's heard a rule. Eight is a good age to start teaching responsibility. . . I've done it twice so far and the 23 year old is a good dude. . . the 10 year old is learning.

As far as the little thief is concerned I would be over that kids house lickity split with a list of the missing games and presenting it to the parents and asking if they suddendly appeared. . . I wouldn't let the kid or the parents off the hook. . PERIOD. To much of that **** going around these days in this pussyfied non-confrontational politically correct world we are living in. There are ways to work them without making it seem like you're calling their little angel a thief.

I agree about this one. The parents of the little thief need to be aware of how their kid is behaving. They need to catch their son in the act before he moves on to larger scores. Trust me . . . I was once that little kid. My dad set me straight right before I started stealing from actual shops.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    I agree about this one. The parents of the little thief need to be aware of how their kid is behaving. They need to catch their son in the act before he moves on to larger scores. Trust me . . . I was once that little kid. My dad set me straight right before I started stealing from actual shops.

I wouldn't even give a **** about how or what they had to do with their kid, that is completely on them!. . .my thing would be to get my son's stolen games back and let them know that their little boy wasn't welcome in my home any longer.

Besides it sounds to me like the little thief's parents are in denial anyway. . . they believed that the kid knew the exact location in some else's house down to the letter where the games were??? That doesn't seem contrived and a bit suspicious??
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    Yes that's exactly my point. They are probably in denial. Get the games. Keep you kid away. By taking care of business and confronting the parents, you indirectly provide a service to the kid. Its a win, win.
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    IF all else fails, invite the kid over to play, setup a sting, then call the police and have him halled off to jail so his parents can be embarrassed publicly. That would be fun too.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    IF all else fails, invite the kid over to play, setup a sting, then call the police and have him halled off to jail so his parents can be embarrassed publicly. That would be fun too.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA STing operation on an 8 year old LOL!!!
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2007
    Ban the the kid with sticky fingers from being inside unwatched. Sucks when your kids stuff comes up missing only to think he/she lost it then only to find it was taken. I know how you feel, good on you though for raising the little guy up correctly.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • janmike
    edited May 2007
    Well, I guess we will put this one to rest. Thanks for all the encouragement folks. Being a parent for the first time is no easy task. He is 8 and I will be 52 this month.

The mother of the child (kid in question) indicated that she searched the house and did not find the games. So be it.

Sean has his bike privileges restored, Dad will buy him and some new games and that kid is forbidden from this house for life. I cannot prove it so I will let it die. Sean has other children to play with.

After dinner this evening my little guy told me that he thought the kid took his games. Both my wife and I never discussed any of this with him during the last few days. I asked him why he thought that and he just said, "I just have a feeling Dad." And I believe he is correct. A very sad way to learn what so called friends can potentially do to you but like someone pointed out earlier, one that he will never forget. Let's just say that Sean is just that much more street smarter and is learning some of the pitfalls a little early in life. He is my life folks. Thanks.

Below, Sean and Dad a few years ago.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Well, I guess we will put this one to rest. Thanks for all the encouragement folks. Being a parent for the first time is no easy task. He is 8 and I will be 52 this month.

The mother of the child (kid in question) indicated that she searched the house and did not find the games. So be it.

Sean has his bike privileges restored, Dad will buy him and some new games and that kid is forbidden from this house for life. I cannot prove it so I will let it die. Sean has other children to play with.

After dinner this evening my little guy told me that he thought the kid took his games. Both my wife and I never discussed any of this with him during the last few days. I asked him why he thought that and he just said, "I just have a feeling Dad." And I believe he is correct. A very sad way to learn what so called friends can potentially do to you but like someone pointed out earlier, one that he will never forget. Let's just say that Sean is just that much more street smarter and is learning some of the pitfalls a little early in life. He is my life folks. Thanks.

Below, Sean and Dad a few years ago.

Now there is a cute kid!!! What is that funny walrusy thing next to him!!!:D :p
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited May 2007
    Great picture.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2007
    Dont' worry, I heard that June secretly liked it when Ward was a little rough on the Beav...................;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • janmike
    edited May 2007
    You are a riot Dennis. And old like me as well.

Anyway, the kid told my son at school yesterday that he probably was not allowed to come over anymore. I wonder where that is coming from! The guilt just gets thicker & thicker. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. $72.48 later and Sean is happy.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    You are a riot Dennis. And old like me as well.

Anyway, the kid told my son at school yesterday that he probably was not allowed to come over anymore. I wonder where that is coming from! The guilt just gets thicker & thicker. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. $72.48 later and Sean is happy.

He was probably not allowed to come over any more. . . actually if you think about your boy saying that it sounds kinda cute and innocent but when the little thief, it's a whole different ballgame. But like you said water under the bridge. Good job DAD!!! When my older son can screaming out of my first wife, I stood under there like Johnny Bench waiting for the instruction manual. . . the only thing I go was a handful of placenta!!!! Yuck, mental picture!!!