Transporting 1.2TL's

Options
warlocks1
warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I will be picking up some 1.2's on Tuesday. About a 3 hour trip. I will be using a minivan, but need to know how to load them. Do I lay the speakers on their back or sides? Thanks, Jeff
Post edited by warlocks1 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2007
    Options
    on their back
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ^^^^^What he said you should have no problem; they are heavy enough to stay in place, but you can take some padding stuff to put between the speakers and between speakers and sides of the van. I've used king size comforters and they work great.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • warlocks1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks. I will bring a lot of padding.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Good luck with the 3 hours thing. Unless you're north of DC, there's no way it will take less than 4. If you want, I can get you a good place for lunch/dinner. Let me know... I'm about an hour south of where you're picking them up.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • warlocks1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have a pair of 2.3's that I will probably be selling.

I will plan on 4 hours. I have been through York numerous times. I have an Avis location in York that I visit every few months.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Jeff,
    Can't help you on the tweeters, but if you find other drivers not functioning, let me know and I'll see what I have in the closet.
  • warlocks1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks Mark. I have tweeters on the way. Hopefeully, I won't need anything else.

I haven't seen you around much lately. Hope all is well.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Jeff,

I bought some styro 4x8 sheets, the white cheap stuff from HD, then I cut them in advance to the proper size and then when I got to the location I used clear packing tape and taped a "case" of styro around mine when I picked them up, worked great.

RT1
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Options
    5 dollar blankets from walmart worked for my 1.2tl's transport 12 hours in a ford winstar minvan . its a lil bit of a tight fit , put the 3rd seat down and fold the 2 row forward and they will be at a slight angle. put the blankets (1 under) them 2 in between then make sure the sides that are touching the outer sides arent going to scrape. That mini vanis gonna drive like it has flats too to give you the heads up. air them up to 40-45 lbs and itll be better.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • warlocks1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I will probably get the caravan with the stow and go seats. They all fold into teh floor. I was concerned about the width of teh van, but I am sure it is as wide as the windstar. I am not concerned about them rubbing against each other or teh dies, I will use blankets. I am more concerned about trying to cushion the backs from the bumpy roads. I will probably try the styrofoam.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I used a GMC Envoy, not your biggest SUV by any means.

RT1
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I laid my SRS's flat on their back side-by-side in my pick-up. I also covered them with trashbags and a water resistant blanket to protect them from the rain in AZ.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Options
    See the really hard part is not the first speaker plenty of room its the second speaker , Believe you me moving one end of a 1.2 with one arm is a MOTHER! My 2nd row seats folded but not into the floor,,,, so I moved them as far forward as they would go. You will be fine though Im sure a blanket on the floor should be sufficient.... After loading get a feel for the minivan like I said previouly the mini will feel like it has flats with all the weight in the back now. A little air will help it

You did your in an Envoy I was woundering if they would fit in there I almost rented that instead when I moved mine.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables