Which version of SDA-2's are these?

Options

Comments

• dale 442
    dale 442 Posts: 98
    edited August 2006
    Options
    The cleaning part is "Suppose" to be done by the better (Cough) half.
    Why did I marry again??? ;-)

Dale
    Dale

Polk SDA 2B's
    Carver TFM-45
    Sony X33ES CD-direct to Carver
    Samsung 4051D 40" LCD
    Samsung DVD
    Paradigm PS-1000
    Denon 1507 A/V receiver, video only
    Rti4's Front and Rear, video only
    CSI3 center, video only :rolleyes:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I don't have a Polk link, but I gave a pair of black 2B Studio's to my father and they definitely have the "face plate."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    You have the very early version of the 2B's.

As for the other......LOL, can't help ya there. :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dale 442
    edited August 2006
    Options
    When you ask "Blade, blade", do you mean flat blades one slightly bigger than the other?

Dale

As for part deux, same thing I hear all the time...;-)
    Where DO you find this kind of help??? LOL
    Dale

Polk SDA 2B's
    Carver TFM-45
    Samsung 4051D 40" LCD
    Samsung DVD
    Paradigm PS-1000
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Nm.....

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    dale 442 wrote:
    When you ask "Blade, blade", do you mean flat blades one slightly bigger than the other?

Yes.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Actually, I just realized something. You definitely have early 2B's. Sorry for the confusion.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options

President of Club Polk

• dale 442
    edited August 2006
    Options
    They are 2b's. I can quote the mid part numbers as I had a bunch of trouble when I first got them.

First thing, they were the floor demo's. Hated buying them but I liked the look so much better but I was wise enough to know that I would probably have some isssues.

After getting them home I completely learned how power hungry they are.
    I was using a HK 795 receiver (70w/channel) at that time. Uggg.
    More mid trouble and then tweeter trouble after that.
    I had the drivers replace (again) the crossovers repaired but obviously, I was going to go through this crap all over again.

So in came the Carver TFM-45.

No more trouble for the last ten plus years. POWER!!

Dale
    Dale

Polk SDA 2B's
    Carver TFM-45
    Samsung 4051D 40" LCD
    Samsung DVD
    Paradigm PS-1000
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Yes, they are quite fond of high current power.

President of Club Polk

• dale 442
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I'll have to get a microscope out to get a good look at that link! :(

These things are still amazing even now though. With two youngins' in the house it is hard to get some time to listen to them.

But when time, and no kids allows, they are soooo sweat.

Dale
    Dale

Polk SDA 2B's
    Carver TFM-45
    Samsung 4051D 40" LCD
    Samsung DVD
    Paradigm PS-1000
  • dale 442
    edited August 2006
    Options
    One interesting story about the Carver amp and the 2b's. When I bought it I was asked if I had a dedicated source of power for the amp. Since I built the room I knew I had two. But I did think that he was overrating the need for this.

After getting it all running I took the cover off of my electrical box panel and clamped an Ammeter over the line running the amp only. At first, on low volumes it was only drawing a couple of amps. Then using the remote to turn up the volume it got as high as 13.9 Amps.

Long story short, he wasn't kidding!!

Dale
    Dale

Polk SDA 2B's
    Carver TFM-45
    Samsung 4051D 40" LCD
    Samsung DVD
    Paradigm PS-1000
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    edited August 2006
    Options
    We have agreed on a price for these speakers....$300, not $175. But seller is now unable to locate the cable after they thought they had it.

2 questions:

1. How hard and expensive is it to make a cable for the speakers? I am not what you would call a handyman.

2. What kind of impact should this have on the price offered? Keeping in mind the agreed upon price included the cable which seller thought they had.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I'd go back to your original offer of $175, and then slap him with a leather driving glove or something for misleading you about the cable.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • simm
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I'd go back to your original offer of $175, and then slap him with a leather driving glove or something for misleading you about the cable.

I don't think they intentionally misled me. They said they had the cable in a drawer somewhere as they weren't using it. But after we reached a price and they tried to find it they were unable to do so, so far. $175 was never an offer I made.....it was only a suggestion someone else here made that was apparently insultingly low. :):)
  • Toka78
    Toka78 Posts: 192
    edited August 2006
    Options
    $300 without the cable is a bit on the high side...I'd start a little lower. I got my SDA 2's, in mint condition (with cable), for $100, so you never know. Of course, they cry softly at night because I paid so little...must've hurt their feelings. ;)
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Simm, I owe you an apology, so there. :)

Without the cable I think you could knock off $50.00 to $75.00 easy. It's not hard to make one, all you really need is the pin as the blade is just for support, there's no wire connected to those ends. Some folks use a long RCA cable with the outer ring removed around the pins or you can buy some pins at RS, some cable and some heat shrink tube. Solder the pins to the cable, add the heat shrink tubing and you're done.

President of Club Polk

• simm
    edited August 2006
    Options
    F1- Thanks for the tips on making a cable. The seller is now out of town for a couple of days so if they can't find the interconnect I'll adjust my offer and see if they go for it.

No apology needed. I was just being a smartass which my wife assures is me is not one of my better qualities. :)
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited August 2006
    Options
    And I was feeling bad for inadvertantly starting this whole thing by suggesting a lower offer! Now you guys are all holding hands and singing kumbaya. :D

Just further testament as to how great this forum is and as to the quality of the people who frequent it.

Simm - make sure you pick those puppies up - you will never regret it.

Cheers!
    Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Yeah that's right Chris, it was you that started this whole thing. ;)

BTW, holding hands and singing whatever.......ain't happening homey.

President of Club Polk

• simm
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I picked these speakers up today. No interconnect but they seem to be in fairly decent shape- a few scuff marks on the cabinets that can be cleaned up and the grill cloth has some picks on them so they need to be replaced. For $250 no real complaints The girl I bought them from told me that she had had them since she was a teenager and that Polk was considered to be as good as bose :D

I called Polk tech support this afternoon to see if it was possible to still purchase the pin/blade interconnect but it is no longer available. They suggested the same thing that F1 did so far as making a cable. Right now I am using a single speaker wire with RCA connectors on each end to act as my temporary cable.

My initial impressions of SDA technology........a subtle difference in the sound. I listened to Pink Floyd "The Wall", B. Springsteen "Greetings from Asbury Park" and a couple of other CD's this afternoon. I was truthfully expecting a dramatic increase in the soundfield and it just isn't there. It could be my halfassed attempt at a cable or maybe there is something wrong with my speakers or is the effect more subtle than I anticipated. I like what I'm hearing but I thought there would be "more". Any ideas?
  • bert26
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Hi Simm -

Congrats on the score.

Have you tried any of the recommended SDA tests to make sure everything is in working order? Be sure not to toe them in, but keep the faces in the same plane. What are you driving them with?

Double check the phase too - it will make a difference if things are connected out of phase.

Some recordings are better than other for the SDA effect. I think the really serioud moldy cheese and pipe afficiandos listen to a lot of jazz and vocals with their SDA's. :D Rock is generally the worst stuff for the effect.
    HT Rig
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    unplug the cable.. listen to your selected song.. reconnect cable and listen again.

SDA's don't need to be toed in like other stereo speakers. what are you powering them with? Please list your gear, what speaker wires, inteconnects used... and how far apart they are from each other. These all play a part in how they sound.

Give them some time to grow on you... as time goes by.. and you upgrade the power.. speaker wire.. etc... they all help the sound you hear.

What were you expecting? Congrats on your new to you SDA's.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    edited September 2006
    Options
    As noted, NO toe in. They should be parallel with the back wall and 5 to 6 inches from the back wall. They should be about 6 to 8 feet apart and at least 3 feet from any side wall. You need to sit in an equal lateral triangle, so if the speakers are 6 feet apart, you sit 6 feet away, dead center. What you are using as a source and power will make a difference too.

My cheap merlot, moldy cheese, mahagany pipe and I do not listen to jazz.....ugh. Rock and blues sound fantastic on SDA's.

President of Club Polk

• simm
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I am driving them with a Denon 3805 run in pure direct mode. For source I have a Denon 2900 and a Yamaha CX-1. I'm not blasting them so I don't think underpower is an issue. I have them facing straight ahead, no toe-in. They are approx 9 ft apart. I am using RS Gold cables for my equipment, HD 14 gauge speaker wire. The cable I made is using the same speaker wire with RCA connectors on the ends.

I have tried listening with and without my cable, I had my daughter plug and unplug it as I listened and I could tell a difference although slight. I am not dissatisfied with them just slightly underwhelmed by the difference the SDA effect seems to make so far. Assuming that the speakers are functioning properly and my homemade cable is not at fault.

Should there be a huge differnce in the sound when using the SDA effect vs not? If so then I have a problem somewhere.
  • bert26
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cheap merlot or rock on SDA's! I can't deal too well with jazz personally, but I think the way some jazz recordings are produced lends itself to a more pronounced instrument location in the soundfield, whereas the rock stuff tends to be more diffuse. Just my 2 cents.

Just got done to listening to some Cheap Trick on the 2.3 TL's after a couple of Guinness - no complaints what so ever!:p
    HT Rig
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • F1nut
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Set them up within the parameters as I noted above. Receivers/AVR's are not going to give you the best results on these speakers.

President of Club Polk

• bert26
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I agree with Jesse on the reciever thing - a power amp will really open them up. Most people on the forum use 200 wpc at 8 ohms as an SDA rule of thumb, but I have had success with 100 watt power amps (Adcom 545, Nakamichi PA5) provided your room is not too big.

I also noticed a difference with 12 gauge cables. Tightened up the bottom end a good bit - and it's a pretty cheap upgrade.
    HT Rig
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    also.. not all music will have a dramatic SDA effect.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • simm
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I have been trying to justify that NAD in the FM. Maybe it is the ticket?