Bi-amping Rotel RB985 for RTi8's

Options
MattN03
MattN03 Posts: 558
edited July 2006 in Electronics
How would I go about bi-amping my Rotel RB985 for use with RTi8's? I'm not really interested in using the Rotel for 5 channel surround just yet, since I want to hear what the RTi's would do with more juice.

Does anyone have any diagrams of how to bi-amp? I'm still confused on the deal (newbie :o ). How much power should I expect to get out of the Rotel in a bi-amp config? Is this amp able to be bridged? Would that be a better option? My complete system is in the sig if it matters.
Post edited by MattN03 on

Comments

• opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Try the HTGuide forum at http://www.htguide.com/forum

They have a Club Rotel section with a bunch of pretty nice guys that are way into their Rotel gear. They helped me get things all set up right.:)

kevin
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2006
    Options
    This is not hard and no need to go elsewhere. You need to Y your RCA preouts on your pre/pro or receiver and run a set into the fronts and rears of the amp. Then run the speaker wires off the fronts to the highs and the rears to the mids. Done and done. Enjoy!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MattN03
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Toxis wrote:
    This is not hard and no need to go elsewhere. You need to Y your RCA preouts on your pre/pro or receiver and run a set into the fronts and rears of the amp. Then run the speaker wires off the fronts to the highs and the rears to the mids. Done and done. Enjoy!

Ok, that sounds straight forward. Are the y connectors easy to find? With this setup, I'd be sending a total of 200 watts to each RTi8 (100 to the highs & 100 to the mids)?
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2006
    Options
    yes, you'll be essentially doubling the power. You can use any Y-adapters or just a Y-plug like these.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MattN03
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Ok, I have AQ Type 8 single bi-wire speaker cables for the fronts. If I bi-amp, I won't be able to use the bi-wire cables? I'd have an extra set of wires dangling around right?
    Back.jpg 363.5K