SDA SRS 1.2TL, SRT, and LSi's...

har_navalta
har_navalta Posts: 957
edited June 2002 in Speakers
SDA SRS 1.2TL, The SRT System, and the New LSi's (Probably the LSi 25)...

We called it these are the Polk flagship models... how do you
compare each other, rating, performance, and soundstage?

Your opinion on them a must!

Thanks,
Har
Post edited by har_navalta on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited June 2002
    Here is how I would rate them.

1st Place: SRT System
    2nd Place: 1.2TL's
    3rd Place: LSi25's

Note: Of these 3 flagships, two are SDA's. 3rd place is not <sigh>.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    Something that amazed me was I read a post that said his LSi15's held there own against his SDA-2.3tl's? This is something I have got to look into. Physics tells me this is a rare thing in our universe!

KING CONFUSED
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited June 2002
    The SRT system is a very nice system and worthy of a high ranking. Have not heard the Lsi25s but don't think it is really fair to compare the 25s with a $9000 msrp system. The SRTs have to be on a completly different level. They will rattle the house they are in plus several of the neighboring houses!

joe
  • har_navalta
    edited June 2002
    In my opinion in comparing the 1.2TL, SRT and LSi 25, I will go with the 1.2TL...why? First, you have 8 drivers, 4 high frequencies and 1 passive radiator in each cabinet, remember that these model don't have any woofers
    or amps that are built into it. If you pair each speaker cabinets with decent subwoofers, ( eg. like Paradigm SERVO-15 or a much better Sub) imagine, these will create a sound that you won't expect, also if you pair these with Servo 15($1500 each) in each speaker it still a lot less than the SRTs and of course a lot more power than the SRTs. Each speaker has 1000 watts plus your Servo's of 400 watts that's a total of 1400 watts each channels. Can you get that in the SRTs? I don't think so. You can play any type of music if you pair these with decent subwoofers. The 1.2TL still a better deal for good main channels even of todays advance technology.

The SRTs are my second choice, they have also SDA crossovers, it has 8 drivers but only 1 high freq. unlike the 1.2TL has four of them. They cost
    that high because they have built-in powered woofers and to compete with other brands. Not all can afford these systems.

For the New LSi's, I'm sure still, it cannot compete with the 2 even their reviews are excellent, with 2 drivers and 1 ring tweet... I don't know. It is not really fair to compare with the 1.2TL's or SRT's.

Lastly, if Polk will build the SDA's again, I'm sure their pricing will go up-up to the sky.

Har
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2002
    I guess I should have clarified more on my comparison to the 2.3tl's. The height and width of the sound stage cannot be met of course, but the soundstage they do create is very impressive. They both sound full and complete at lower volume levels. When I said they hold their own, it was a size class comparison. For what these speakers can do and for the amount of drivers they have. They kick allot of ****. The quality of sound is much more defined in the 15's compared to the 2.3's and for the amount of sheer power the 2.3's take to get the same quality is a no brainer. If Polk used the Lsi's drivers to make an SDA system, they could use less drivers and still smoke the hell out of the 2.3's. They would only have to use 4 mids and 2 ring tweets to smoke the older 2.3's. You would have to create larger towers, but would create more room for bass. That would create such a smooth and discrete soundstage you would be forced to wear some kind of protection every time you sat down for a listen. The 2.3’s only sound great on certain types of music and the SDA effect only works on well recorded well separated tracks. If you listened to U2’s latest CD on the 2.3’s and then on the 15’s, you would take the 15’s home. If Polk did make an SDA version, you would have the best of both worlds. :D

Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • har_navalta
    edited June 2002
    jrausch,

That's a good comparison between the 15's and the 2.3's.
    Now, whoever had the 2.3's better sell it and grab the 15's.
    A lot less space, wives were happy for it because the big
    cabinets of the speakers will be part. Me too, I will think about
    my 2.3's and what ever money, I will get into. I will grab 2 of
    Servo-15's to pair my 1.2TL's.

I bet you, this thread will flood ebay's for 2.3's...

:lol: ,
    Har
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    I hope so! I would love a pair if my cheap-**** price range ever comes along?:D

KING CHEAP-****
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    SDA...<yawn>....next!

Aaron
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    SDA...<yawn>....next!

We newbie need more clarification?:D
  • jrausch
    edited June 2002
    Even though my SDA's are limited, I don't think I'll be putting them on E-bay anytime soon. I listen to allot of classical and jazz and the 2.3's have the edge. They also work well as fronts for surround. :D
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    So you found some SL3000 tweeter? Didn't you have a problem with them moving from CA?:confused:
  • jrausch
    edited June 2002
    I have some spare SL2000's from an old purchase. They are slightly brighter, but I put them in the center to even out the imaging. I would still like to put in some ring tweets, but I'm not sure how much of an impact the 4 ohm impedance would make. Polk said it will be about a month before they can come up with a replacement. I may just wait to see what they come up with.