SDA-1A's

Options
BSUfbfan
BSUfbfan Posts: 201
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hello Gents,

I came across a pair of SDA-1A's for a very reasonable price, but couldn't find much info using the search feature. Does anyone have these, and what are your impressions. Are they comparable in sound to the very popular SDA-1C's?

Just like to get some input from the experts whether these would actually be a substantial upgrade from my CRS+. I have plenty of power to run them, so that shouldn't be an issue. I am really liking the little CRS's, but a little more low-end extension would be nice as long as it is still tight.

Thanks for any opinions.

Mike
SDA SRS 2.3
Post edited by BSUfbfan on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Try www.polksda.com. You should be able to find what you need there.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • BSUfbfan
    edited April 2006
    Options
    okiepolkie wrote:
    Try www.polksda.com. You should be able to find what you need there.

Yeah, I know the model/pricing breakdown, i'm more questioning the performance. I never hear anything about the 1A's, but the 1C's are like everyday topics of conversation around here. Maybe it's because they were only in production for about a year.....
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I thought that you might at some point come to that conclusion given your room size. Would a subwoofer be a possibility in your system? My CRS+ sound fantastic in my home theater with the aid of the sub. Just a thought, and I haven't heard the SDA 1 but I'm sure they'd fill your room much better in terms of the low end.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Bass output increases with the 1's v the CRS+.

Additional SDA tweeter may take some getting used to, but can be disabled, if you don't like it.

Do note that the SDA 1's on the SDA site are two of the higher closes. I have data for 8 auctions and as many close around $300 as do around $500.

That said, if price is as good as you seem to be hinting, but they're not right for you, you can always pass on the deal here or make a few $$$ elsewhere... So what's to think about?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have a set of 1A's and wouldn't sell them, they sound fantastic. True, the SDA tweeter does get some getting used to. Especially if you keep them stock as I have. "Bright" (SL2000s), they put out pretty damn good bass if you keep them close the wall. Set them up according to the manual and you'll be good to go. I sent the manual for the 1A's to Polksda's website for others to download. If you can get them for less than 400.00 I would say go for it.

Scott
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The CRS's are great speakers, I have them and really like them. However, the SDA-1A's have more speakers, bigger cabinent, thus a larger and deeper sound. They will really come alive if you have 200 wpc or more.:)
    Carl

• Mark A. Valade
    Mark A. Valade Posts: 1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have a client with several pairs of SDA-SRS speakers available for sale. He has a carpenter that can build crates for safe shipping. I will be receiveing photos and physical condition inforamtion shortly. Is anyone interested?
    Mark
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Please check your e-mail
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Be careful, George...

Mark,
    No offense, but we don't know you. Where are you located? It's possible that we have one or more members in your area that could take a look at your offering and confirm it's legit...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • george daniel
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thanks,, I'm the eternal skeptic anyway, I've e-mailed the seller requesting pricing,condition,photographs,and location,, we shall see what happens :)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Bruce,
    Just to chime in, if this is the same Mark Valade of San Diego, I can vouch for him..

Mark, are you with DSS?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    ^Oh yeah.... like we'd trust you... I happen to know polkatese is not even your real name. :D
    Thanks,, I'm the eternal skeptic anyway, I've e-mailed the seller requesting pricing,condition,photographs,and location,, we shall see what happens :)
    Good on ya, george... Sometimes when there's Big SDA blood in the water, folks jump first and look second...

I hope it turns out to be legit...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• george daniel
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The seller did e-mail me,he stated that he would put pic's on the forum in 48 hours +/-, also stated that "no low balling" or he would take em to the bay,,,waiting,,,,,,,,
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited April 2006
    Options
    also stated that "no low balling" or he would take em to the bay,,,waiting,,,,,,,,

So, take them to eBay.:rolleyes:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The seller did e-mail me,he stated that he would put pic's on the forum in 48 hours +/-, also stated that "no low balling" or he would take em to the bay,,,waiting,,,,,,,,

Threatening people is always good for selling items. :rolleyes:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BSUfbfan
    edited April 2006
    Options
    No doubt, first he hi-jacks my thread with a WTS post, then he tells a long-time member to basically follow the rules, or else......WTF?........:(
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • george daniel
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hey guys, sorry for helping hi-jack the thread ,,,no offense intended, my sincerest apology--george.
  • BSUfbfan
    edited April 2006
    Options
    No offense taken George. If I was in the market for SRS's I would have jumped too. Just kind of a wierd place to post "for sale" stuff when we have a dedicated Flea Market.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    did anyone receive an email back from the seller? what was his response? did he Ebay them afterall?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Just kind of a wierd place to post "for sale" stuff when we have a dedicated Flea Market.

He can't post in the FM because he doesn't have 25 posts yet. He did try to post a "for sale" in a separate thread, but it was removed as should his post in this thread.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Well, it's been over 48 hours... pics?

As for lowballing, how do you do that when seller sets the price around here?

polka, is this your man?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Bruce,

sorry, tardy response, haven't pay attention to the thead. I haven't seen Mark's response, but assuming this is the same guy, I bought stuff from him. A very nice gent and professional.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • george daniel
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have received two e-mails from him,the latest on thursday,in which he stated that he was still waiting on the photo's---FYI--no-afil.---george