SDA 2.3 ?'s

Options
hifidigital
hifidigital Posts: 26
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
1. How can you test to see if you have a blown tweeter? I have one speaker that seems a lot brighter than the other.

2. Is there any other way to tame the tweeters other than doing the replacement...which on these speaker would be 6 x $50!
Post edited by hifidigital on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hello Hifi! The tweeter that seems bright to you is probably the one that is in the "mid" high range. The three tweeters in the 2.3 function at different frequencies in the HF range. The middle tweeter does the lion's share of the work vs. the "low" or "Hi" HF range. It has been said on this Forum that the SL2000 has a 5 dB spike around 13.5K, which contributes to the harsh sound. I would recommend replacing all six tweeters. I know this is a $300 mod, but it's well worth it.
    Carl

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Put some tissue paper over it? Sounds pretty ghetto to me too, but if it works...
  • hifidigital
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I thought of something else to try. At the back of my receiver I could switch left and right and see if the problem moves (source material) or stays (speaker).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited March 2006
    Options
    You could put your ear up to each tweeter while playing, you could take one out at a time, connect it to the output on your receiver (at LOW volume) or just replace them all with the new RD0194-1's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hifidigital
    edited March 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    You could put your ear up to each tweeter while playing, you could take one out at a time, connect it to the output on your receiver (at LOW volume) or just replace them all with the new RD0194-1's.

I'd love to replace them, but $300 right now isn't going to happen. Unless Ken S. wants to make me a great deal on new tweeters :D

For the most part I'm happy with the sound. I just got a CS400i off of ebay and my (first) projector should be arriving today. I can't wait.
  • hifidigital
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Another related question...

Are there enough interested people in old sl2000 tweeters either here or on ebay that I could offset the new cost of the rd0194's? Whats the going rate for the old tweets?
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2006
    Options

Are there enough interested people in old sl2000 tweeters either here or on ebay that I could offset the new cost of the rd0194's? Whats the going rate for the old tweets?

Here;---Free(karma) to about 20.00, currently, I have 9 of them.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2006
    Options
    sell some blood, like a real audio fanatic
  • hifidigital
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote:
    sell some blood, like a real audio fanatic

hmmmm

How much can I get for it?

Does Polk buy it directly?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2006
    Options

the answer is yes.. i sold all my SL2000's without any problem. and if your 2.3's are like the SRS's.. you'll need 8 tweeters x $50 is more like $400 not $300. Yikes. :eek:

the new replacement tweeters do sound very nice though. ;) they are an improvement over the SL2000's
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Fortunately, the 2.3's have three tweeters each. The "unlucky" owners of the SRS and 1.2's have four in each speaker.
    Carl

• hifidigital
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Anyone want to buy some blood?
  • george daniel
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Anyone want to buy some blood?

What type ?:D
  • hifidigital
    edited March 2006
    Options
    What type ?:D

I think its A+
  • F1nut
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I just got a CS400i off of ebay and my (first) projector should be arriving today.

You've got your priorities all messed up.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hifidigital
    edited March 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    You've got your priorities all messed up.

Help me understand this statement.
  • george daniel
    edited March 2006
    Options

And the sleeping Giant awakes,,,;)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2006
    Options

Not to put words in Jesse's mouth but let me take a stab at this...............

For a lot of us getting the 2.3s squared away would have been a high if not first (system and financial) priority. An HT projector and or center speaker? Further down on the list.;)

A different strokes kinda thing.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Did you find out if the problem is just with one tweeter or are all three in one cabinet not working?
  • F1nut
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Bob,

BINGO!!!

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Jesse,

Do you have your 2.3tl's squared away in the new house or is there another move in the near future? :D
  • F1nut
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Steve,

I'm still having fun with my modded CRS+'s, but the 2.3TL's are out of the cartons. I'm getting ready to take the CRS+'s out again for some additional mods, so the 2.3TL's will slide in. Oh yeah, I'm not moving.....ever again!

President of Club Polk