Am I an ****?

Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I get this PM from a member with zero posts and this person asks me to send them a copy of some songs off a CD that I own that has been discussed here. I tried not to be rude but told this person "No." I don't have a problem with burning copies for my own use, but I'm not big on giving away copyrighted material. The Artist(s) make a living off their talent and I think paying for a CD is the right thing to do.

So, anyone think I'm a wack-o, goody two-shoes, nut-job?

Anyone else get a PM asking for free tunes?
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited February 2006
    no and no.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited February 2006
    You're good to go in my book. A CD is what, $9.00 to $15.00....go buy it.

BTW, I'm the nut job around here.......hehe
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2006
    Lazy **** could have picked from the hundreds of places to download the music if he/she really wanted to give it a listen without buying the cd...

goody two-shoes? Hell no. You're just defending the artists who need to make money to keep producing music that we need. If we had no music why bother owning audio stuff?

nut-job? ..... no comment ;)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2006
    Here is my take. I have had CDs burned for me and I've done the same for others. It is a "demo new music" exercise and not to just get free music. In almost every case the "freebie" has led to several more purchases. What I tend to do is get music I've never heard of by artists I'm not familiar with and try to pass along the same. In fact most of the time if it is something I like on a burned CD....I go and buy the actual CD version to get the cover art and liner notes.

I believe the artists deserve to get paid for their work. I try do do that. I don't have any free downloads. I MAKE my kids pay for MP3 through the various download services and will not allow file sharing.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • aaharvel
    edited February 2006
    i burn music. if i like what i hear, i buy the album.
    the fbi can go **** themselves.

the nsa too. (i know they're watching=)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2006
    I do the same as you two. For me it's a way to give a cd a test run before going and blowing a couple bucks on a disc. What's shifty and odd about this is how a complete stranger (with one or zero posts?) asks a random person to burn him music.
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited February 2006
    I think the atrists make most of their money when the go on tour and play shows,the record labels are the ones **** the artists,you always here them complaing how little they recieve off each copy.Cd's have been around for over 20 years and and they,re still $15.00 - $20.00.The record company's get too big pice of the pie,they need to do some negotions with their labels and not attack the consumers about copy rights.I purchace 90% of my music in the form Of cd's ,I just think they are still too pricey.
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    aaharvel wrote:
    the nsa too. (i know they're watching=)

No, theyre only listening and only then if youre talking to a terrorist.

Frank,
    You never know dude. That couldve been some jerkoff from the RIAA trying to trick you! Next thing you know youre being sued!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2006
    I realize that everyone is going to have a different opinion on whether or not burning the occasional CD is okay or not, and that's fine. I just felt more than a little uncomfortable having a newcomer asking for a few songs off a CD. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy or anything like that, but it is just plain odd.

Probably making a mountain out of nuttin'.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    Yep I say! I would have burned an incomplete set for him.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2006
    I had that same message about 2 weeks ago. Can't remember the user ID, but just ignored it. I guess some people will ask for anything. Goof!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2006
    Yes...oh wait, I didn't even read this yet... ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited February 2006
    You're nuts, but you're not a nutjob - if that makes sense.

I find it odd that the guy would come on board just to ask for some songs.

Odd.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2006
    You did just fine.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2006
    few places you can demo music 30sec to a min. worth of a long usually enough to know if your going to like it or not.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2006
    Does anyone understand a word that he says?!? Maybe it's just me. Weird.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
    haha! I get requests all the effing time for my DVD compilations and the answer is no. I don't want to be the first kid on my block to get busted for an HT demo DVD.

karma....
  • aaharvel
    edited February 2006
    Zero wrote:
    Harvel,

Drunk again... ?or are you just stubborn? ;)

Frank,

So long as you were polite - I don't think you're any more nuts than you've always been... hehe :)

sober. and yeah it's listening not watching. damnit
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2006
    You did the right thing Frank.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Good job Frank, send him the link to yourmusic, 5.99 each.

RT1
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited February 2006
    Something sounds fishy about someone that has never even posted here asking for something (let alone asking you to do him a favor). That sounds like an ID to keep an eye on.

And there is an entire thread going on the $5.99 yourmusic CDs.

(I actually rarely buy CDs. The only thing I do buy is something old that I still don't have. [may join the $5.99 to build my collection] If the record companies would actually let talented musicians into the mainstream [instead of the pop crap that's out], their sales may go up).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • THX 3417
    THX 3417 Posts: 219
    edited June 2007
    Damn right you should pay for it and despite some of the high running costs of some CD’s its still the right thing to do. I would have told this person to bugger off and buy his own! If you make a copy it’s for your own personal use, cheeky little buggers asking you to make a copy for them.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    One year four months later. Well done.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited June 2007
    Must be a UK thing.

Awwww bloody hell! Tea time everyone!
    No excuses!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    I would have done the same thing, but I doubt I would have even responded to his request.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2007
    I think being an **** is genetic, either you are or you aren't. Refusing to do a questionable act for someone you don't know is good sense.

Can I have a copy too? ;)
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.