It's not upgraditus, I swear!

Options
Laura Palmer
Laura Palmer Posts: 124
edited July 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Okay so the syndrome is similar and equally financially irresponsible, but I'm thinking of buying some LSi's and making a seperate 2-channel setup. Just to remind you all, this is what I came out with after I started.

Harman Kardon AVR635 (Receiver)
Monster MPA2250 (250wpc Amplifier)
Polk RTi12s (Front)
Polk RTi6s (Back)
Polk CSi5 (Center)
HSU STF-2 (Subwoofer)

If I were to create a 2-channel setup for a pair of LSi9s. Would I be able to run them with a Harman Kardon 3480 Stereo receiver? I'd like to get an HK product so I could use A-Bus, and use the Zone II remote easily. (Plus, I just plain love Harman Kardon) but I don't know if the HK 3480 can handle 4 Ohm speakers. Does anyone know? I don't really want to move my Monster Amp into this setup because I want to put it in my bedroom, and there won't be enough room for that thing. I also don't want to buy ANOTHER amp, I just want to put together a 2-channel setup for somewhat reasonable prices. I want the biggest expense to be the speakers themselves.
Post edited by Laura Palmer on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2005
    Options
    If it were me, I'd want my top-notch equipment in my 2-channel rig. I personally wouldn't power Lsi9's with anything but seperates.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    If it were me, I'd want my top-notch equipment in my 2-channel rig. I personally wouldn't power Lsi9's with anything but seperates.

I'll second that. Ebay and other places can get your a nice pre-amp and amp for the price of the HK.

Be careful with the upgraditis. You might like the LSis so much, that you end up redoing your home theater system with em. ;)
  • Laura Palmer
    Laura Palmer Posts: 124
    edited July 2005
    Options
    And with THOSE two replies... I'm gonna forget the idea right away :)

Cause I'd have to shoot myself if I bought another amplifier.
    I guess if I *really* wanted to do this down the road that I could just not use the Monster amp on my RTi12s and just feed off the HK635. I'm sure the difference won't be huge.

Still that's a lot of space to take up in my bedroom, I really should drop the idea quick.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I concur, for 2 ch. I think you would be better off going with seperates, seems like the "upgradeitis" syndrome is spreading, must be transmitted electronicaly, possibally sonically, as I am looking to upgrade to a " tube " pre-amp:D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Laura, I would highly recommend the 100 watt Jolida hybrid integrated amp for your eventual 2 channel rig. It has a tubed pre-amp section and a solid state power amp section with a torriodal transformer. It's power is conservatively rated too as I'm sure it's really putting out more than 100 watts x 2. WELL worth the $$$. Newer models now have remote controls and pre-outs for bi-amping, 2nd zones, subs, etc.
  • phuz
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Laura Palmer

Still that's a lot of space to take up in my bedroom, I really should drop the idea quick.

Don's be scurrrd. A good pre/amp combo will take up the same, or even less space than the HK would have.

C'mon, you know you wanna...
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Laura, I think the 3480 would handle the 9's fine unless you are doing critical listening...casual, it should be fine in a bedroom system.

BTW, I would think the RTi12s need a separate amp more than LSi 9s would...
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • phuz
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by 2+2
    Laura, also consider running the 9's off of the Zone 2 of the HK 635 and forget the 3480 (unless it is in a different room). I dont think the 635 has an A/B speaker feature. I think it would handle the 9's fine. If the 635 has Zone 2 preouts, you can just get a 2ch amp to give them more juice....just a thought...

BTW, I would think the RTi12s need a separate amp more than LSi 9s would...

Nope, no way. RTi12 are 8ohms nom, LSi are 4ohms nom, and can dip to 2ohms. If you had one amp and had to pick, the LSi9 should get the amp hands down.

I wouldn't run the 9's off of the HK, but I have issues with HK anyway.
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet everything I own that a set of RTi12 would shut down the HK 635, or any other comparable AVR for that matter faster than a pair of LSi9 would.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Laura,

FWIW, I think if you are looking for an affordable bedroom system I don't see anything wrong w/ an Adcom GFA-535 and equivalent pre-amp. I know Zero doesn't highly rec this type of set up, but my brother is powering a pair of Lsi-7's with an Adcom GCA-510. These are a bit hard to find. It's essentially the 535's output section mated to a line stage pre. It's actually more like a high gain pre at 50 watts per channel. It gives much more power than it's rated for and sounds excellent mated w/the Lsi-7's. Since a GCA-510 is difficult to find the 535 and a pre would be easier to purchase used. If you like the Mosfet sound then the GFA-5200 is the one to get.

I have had a few AMC products and while they have been good, they are simply not on the same level as Adcom. So I agree w/ Zero about AMC. No exp. w/ Carver.

Of course there have been some excellent suggestions for tube equipment as well. But, as I'm sure you know these simple systems end up becoming very expensive if you don't draw the line somewhere.

Good luck

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • 2+2
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz
    Nope, no way. RTi12 are 8ohms nom, LSi are 4ohms nom, and can dip to 2ohms. If you had one amp and had to pick, the LSi9 should get the amp hands down.

I wouldn't run the 9's off of the HK, but I have issues with HK anyway.

Well, I have the 7s and I have run them for extended periods at loud volumes with three different receivers HK230, Onkyo 717 and Marantz SR8400 and they all did fine...hence the bases for my post.....granted 9s will probably be harder since it has another driver. The RTi 12s are awefully big with a lot of large drivers which are pretty hard to drive.....

....even Polk recommends a higher powered amplifier for the RTi12s (50-500watts) than the LSi 9s (20-200 watts).
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by marker
    I'd be willing to bet everything I own that a set of RTi12 would shut down the HK 635, or any other comparable AVR for that matter faster than a pair of LSi9 would.
    I'll take that bet, as long as I don't have to wager everything I own also:D

Seriously though, it's not just about the power handling of the speakers, it's also about the ohms. Now I'd imagine the HK will handle a 4 ohm load, but a comparable receiver like the Denon 3801 or Yammy RX-v2400 won't do it as easily. It would probably be easier for one of those units to drive the RTi12s than the LSi9 due to the ohm rating alone - although neither will really suffice to drive either speaker.

Having said all that, I'd bet the HK you're looking at is stable down to 4 ohms and would drive the LSi9 nicely, maybe not as good as separates, but still do a good job. You could always upgrade to separates down the road later anyway...
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2005
    Options
    It's only a matter of time before HT lovers go 2ch for music listening. I think most of us here started with multichannel. I started with a full blown RT home theatre set up powered by an Onkyo receiver. My 2ch adventure began with a pair of LSi9.

I still own my LSi and listen to them once in a while. On their own, they're very warm sounding speakers and I find that teaming them up with warm gear made them sound a little sloppy and boomy. It seems like they sound best with neutral to bright sounding pre amps for my application.

I agree with the other members about going seperates for 2ch. Check out ebay and audiogon for some good quality used equipments. You can also check out some nice int amps.

Maurice
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Sorry PM, but the RTi12 when run full range (or "large") is a much harder load to drive than the LSi9, regardless of the ohm ratings.

Wonder just what the load on the RTi12 actually dips down to, anybody know for sure?

Edit- I can tell you that from actual hands on peronal experience with both models at that.
  • organ
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Without knowing how low the 12's dip, it's very difficult to tell. But going by imp and sensitivity ratings, the LSi9 is a much harder load to drive.

Maurice
  • 2+2
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Not to derail this thread and I could be wrong but I dont think Polk was talking about "max" power of a speaker....Polk refers to "Recommended Amplifier Power" in the specification in the ranges noted..........

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2005
    Options
    You can get a HK 3480 from Onecall for $268, it will deliver 150 watts per channel to 4 ohm speakers with 0.2 percent THD and has 45 amps of current. That's plenty of power for the LSi9's. Since it will do everything else you want, I'd suggest going for it, especially since you like Harman Kardon gear anyway. No need to go nuts on a bedroom system.
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Just look at the driver difference though. The RTi12 has THREE 7" woofers to drive that the LSi 9 doesn't.

Again, I've have had both in my house at the same time before, and the RTi12 (when not high passed) will shut down an AVR faster.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Laura how big is the bedroom you are running this system in? If it's a typical sized bedroom I'm guessing that the system is not going to be played at a very high level very often if at all. All this discussion about will this component/won't this component run this or that set of speakers may not be as much of a factor if you are using this for lower to moderate listening sessions. Just a thought :)

Now if you have a medium to large sized room and will be listening at moderate to high levels most of the time then some good points have been raised about amplification.

As I discussed earlier about my brother's bedroom system (Lsi-7's) he doesn't need more amplification than what he has because it never get's much louder than low to average level's. Even when he want's to jam out occasionally; he has all the amplification he needs.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Emlyn
    You can get a HK 3480 from Onecall for $268, it will deliver 150 watts per channel to 4 ohm speakers with 0.2 percent THD and has 45 amps of current. That's plenty of power for the LSi9's. Since it will do everything else you want, I'd suggest going for it, especially since you like Harman Kardon gear anyway. No need to go nuts on a bedroom system.

^ What he said.
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Man, every time you hit refresh, there is at least one new post on this thread.
  • organ
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Just look at the driver difference though. The RTi12 has THREE 7" woofers to drive that the LSi 9 doesn't.

Again, I've have had both in my house at the same time before, and the RTi12 (when not high passed) will shut down an AVR faster.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I was going by the specs Polk gave us. However, you can't judge them by the # and size of drivers alone. The x-over and cab design also have an impact on the speaker's overall efficiency.

Maurice
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I see where ya'll are coming from, but I'm not going by specs. I'm going by what actually happened.

If you ever get the chance, try it with both models, see what happens, and then report back.
  • organ
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I agree with you that the RTi12's are difficult to drive. I spent about an hour one time with a pair of RTi12 and a H/K 635 and the 635 didn't have the balls to drive them. I made a post about this too. Never had them side by side with the LSi though.

Maurice
  • 2+2
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Talking about Polk Specs....
    Originally posted by 2+2
    ....even Polk recommends a higher powered amplifier for the RTi12s (50-500watts) than the LSi 9s (20-200 watts).

Is it a sin to quote oneself??:D :D:)

• marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by 2+2
    Talking about Polk Specs....

Is it a sin to quote oneself??:D :D:)

Yes! You must say 12 "I Love Boses" as pentance!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I see where ya'll are coming from, but I'm not going by specs. I'm going by what actually happened.

If you ever get the chance, try it with both models, see what happens, and then report back.
    Well, I did this with the RTi150s I had for a while. They're not the RTi12s, but they're pretty damn close, close enough that I'd get the same results with the 12s.

I did the test with my Denon 3801, and it had a much harder time driving the LSi than it did the 150s - hands down.

Your results were different than mine, doesn't mean either is wrong. There are too many variables involved to state conclusively one way or the other - i.e. my results with a HK might be different since they do a better job of driving 4 ohm loads...

My original point wasn't that one result is ultimate truth, just that factors other than power handling and number of drivers need to be taken into account...
  • 2+2
    edited July 2005
    Options
    [Crossed fingers]

I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;I love Boses;

[Uncrossed fingers]

Peace out

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited July 2005
    Options
    If you don't plan on running them really loud (might get flamed for this one) but I would recommend a sonic impact t-amp. It can be had at parts express for $30 USD. I have one for my computer rig but have tried it out instead of my nad c352 and the little tiny amp powered my lsi 7s along with my atlas 15 thrown into the system with no problems. It only puts out I think around 8 watts into 4 ohms but as long as you stay under the steep slope of where it begins to clip it sounds really really good. Keep in mind a little modification is required.... it's pretty much a must to put some real binding posts on it though (bought mine for ten bucks or something) and if you want some rcas to replace the 1/8" headphone jack.

~ linky ~
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Laura -- don't listen to these guys. Stick with your original plan. For the money, the 3480 is a fantastic option.

HK rocks!!! :D
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."