2000w 6x9's into CDXS2000 in 306XR - Advice?

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    You forgot caps!

And also that many have learned from my teachings. :D
    Yes, like "nobody needs more than 50 watts for mids." Lot of guys out there wondering why they're just not satisfied by their systems... :D
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    I still say that. You dont have to have 200 watts speaker. 50-60 watts RMS will move most speakers to their full potential but you wont have the extra headroom and detail from having more power.

Just like my Beloved Dodge doesnt need 400 horsepower, the current 240 works just fine.....but boy I sure would love to have 160 more! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2005
    Ok guys,

Thanks a million for all your help - i will be saving up for one of the packages from the bassbin that includes sub and amp as well as 6x9's as you all seem to think its worth getting the whole kit...

Thats after 4 new tyres :O lol

Thanks again

Take Care

Chris
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by Chris Postill
    Thats after 4 new tyres
    ooh! ooh! www.tirerack.com, if you haven't yet found it - most amazingly amazing resource ever... specifically, the reviews... these are what convinced be to buy my current tire (which was deservedly at the top of the list last year but has fallen to 14th!)

they've got all kinds of other neato stuff, and educational info, too... i got all my new brake equipment from them...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    Oooh....I'll hafta check them out! Thanks!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    Definitely! Ive been a Tire Rack fan for years now. Those reviews are invaluable!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    Cheers for the link - will take a look...

The search didn't return anything for a 1995 Peugeot...

Being an american site, i doubt they have much to do with tiny little 14" wheels/tyres!!

Ill read reviews etc and see what makes and models come out top, then try and source them in a 1995 Peugeot 306 XR sort of size...!

Cheers :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    good idea... it's unlikely you'll find the top performers in something as small as a 14" wheel; it was difficult to find an appropriate 15" size for my car. pick out a few candidates, then go look at the manufacturers' sites, at their data sheets, and you can see every size they make.

you don't have to go with the stock size; e.g. my stock is 195/60R15, but i run 215/55R15... the tool here allows you to see the size differences, so you can stay close to the overall stock diameter.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    What are the advantages of running different sizes - do they fit the wheel OK?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    yeah, the rim diameter is the same, but the width is different; my current tires are 2 cm wider than stock, and because of the numbering scheme, i need a smaller profile to compensate, so the overall radius stays the same.

the numbering scheme is ****/YYRZZ, where **** is the width of the tire in centimeters, the YY is the sidewall height expressed as a percentage of the width (called the profile or series), and the ZZ is the diameter of the rim in inches. so if you increase the width, you need to decrease the profile to keep the sidewall height the same, so you don't screw up your speedometer.

• audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    Or you could just buy whatever you like and have someone adjust the computer to account for the different size tires.

Glad you posted that break-down of the numbers; I wondered what they meant.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Try punching in the tire size rather than the vehicle. That would bring up more options.

Going with a bigger tires can mess up your cars computer as your tires will now be turning slower than they were before at a certain speed. It also makes your spedo inaccurate.

• neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    both are right, it messes up the computer, but you can usually get it reprogrammed to compensate, if you so desire...

• MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, you can repogram the computer on your 2001 Chevy Silverado but I doubt there are too many aftermarket compter programers out there for a 95 Peugot! ;)

• audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    I doubt that we know anything about the availibility of technicians able to work on a Peugot in Europe. I'm sure as we have Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. techs here, they have Peugot, Renault, Alfa Romeo, etc. techs over there.

EDIT: And I atually would bet my dad sells a scanner that would be able to re-program the computer on a Peugot. (He sells automotive tools.) I'm not certain, though; I'll hafta ask.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    It probably is possible to program it... for it's age it's quite advaned... It's all computer controlled... which for a french/european car of its age is really quite impressive.

Saying that, i dont know whether it's just the engine management system and interior thats electronic - theres a possibility that the pre 1997 306's have cable controlled speedometers as opposed to electronic ones... I'll take a look in the Haynes Manual at some point.

What advantages are there to fitting non stock tires on a car - i mean what reasons are there? Any gain in handling? Traction? or is it cheaper? Better ride?

I am really quite intrigued!!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    I was going to put generic tyres on my car - you know the unbranded $50 each inc fitting jobbies....

But if you can convince me that it's worth getting decent tyres, then i might consider paying out extra...

After all the 306 is considered the best handling hatchback on the roads of the UK (and probably france) - coming out above the VW Golf etc etc... And i do like to throw it round corners and rag it's nuts off occasionally...! The novelty of having such a powerful car for my age has still not worn off ;)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    as may or may not be obvious, tires are the only bit of the car that (normally) touches the road, and as such they are of critical importance. wider tires equal more traction, all else being equal, which is why i changed my size; tires don't always come in your stock size, either, and there's no real reason that i can think of not to opt for a wider model.

more expensive tires equal better traction, water evacuation, lateral stiffness, ride comfort, and wear, in various and tuned combinations. i.e. a 100 dollar tire will give you a better combination of those traits, depending on what you select, than a 50 dollar tire.

example: my tires are the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDs. they will last about 15k miles, provide amazing lateral stiffness and a fairly twitchy ride, and are mildly frightening to use in the rain; they were $150 each. my mom's tires are the Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds. they glide like silk, last over 80k miles (warrantied to 80k), are smooth and responsive in the turns, but a bit squishy, and drive in the rain and to a lesser degree snow very easily; they came for about $100 each.

the $50 tires i've driven are a combination of all the bad things that paragraph mentioned... for $200 every couple years, you can be much happier...

• audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    I second everything neo said. However, I will throw this bit in there: I have some hard (meaning they don't have good traction or ride comfort, but they are durable) Dunlops on my Jeep. I'm glad they're hard because one of the inherent traits: less traction. :D That means that it is easier to break them loose in a turn. :D

Just a thought. :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    How much wider am i able to go before the tyre wont fit any more? Is it model dependant?

This is all totally new to me - i thought you could have only one tyre size on your wheel!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    Heres my motor :-)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    Ok, dude; you did not need to post that! LOL That's ugly! I guess European taste is a little different. Anyhoo...

Yes, the possible widths of your tire is restricted by your car. The restrictions are different for every car. You probably can't go much wider than stock, I'd assume. Here's the limiting factor: Imagine the front wheels of your car for a minute. Picture the wheel wells and how they come down parallel to your tires. Now turn the steering wheel and picture the fron of the tire (the left if you turn right, the right if you turn left) approaching the wheel well. Your tire has to be narrow enough that, when you turn all the way in one direction, the tire does not touch the wheel well. You need probably about 2 or 3 inches of clearance there, I would think.

As to how wide you can go with your car, I really have no idea. However, you can probably find that out online somewhere.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    One side-note that I don't think has been mentioned yet: if you get wider tires, you'll also need wider wheels to accomodate them. I don't know if you have enough money or not, but I think if you got some nice looking wheels, it would totally change (for the better) the appearance of you car.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    you already have many inches of clearance, so you don't need to worry about the turning bit. the tire will have a specification for acceptable wheel widths. mine tires', for example, is 6-8 inches, and my wheel is 7 inches wide.

changing wheels is not necessary, but is usually a good step to take.

• audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    Oh. So you're saying that tire 'A' can fit on wheels 'A', 'B', and 'C'? That just because a tire's width is 8" doesn't mean it can't fit on a 7" wheel? ?! Wow. I had never thought about that. I don't guess the sidewalls have to be perpendicular to the horizontal - or do they?

I think I'm confused now.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    nope, not at all... the tire's measured width is on a specified rim, but there's usually a 2-inch range of rim widths for any given tire... the sidewall's gonna bend in any case, it's got plenty of give to compensate for different rims.

• Systems
    edited May 2005
    Hmm...

I'll probably just get some good tyres at stock sizes... Iv'e never lost the back end on my car yet - and its quite suprising really, the way i drive ;-) ... as i said its a good handling car...

AND ITS GOOD LOOKING TOO!!

And yeah, i'll probably shove some alloys on it at some point - but thats $800 i dont have ta the moment!!!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    I hear ya about the money. I'm quite fortunate that the Jeep we found at such a deal had the alloys I really like. 'Cause I would really hate my Jeep if it had the cheap metal hubcaps most Cherokees have.

Isn't your Peugot a FWD? If so, I would think it'd be real hard to lose the rear-end short of using the emergency brake.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    I wish i could afford insurance on a Jeep Cherokee! I really like them!

Yeah the 306 is FWD - most hatchbacks are here. Makes it have awesome handing - you can REALLY throw it around.

VERY fast for a first car - 0 to 60 is 9 seconds, OK not that great, but for a first car its very good.

306's looks too nice with alloys...like REALLY nice. Might have to save up!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    Hey, hey; that does look pretty cool with different wheels. If I were you, I'd definitely would save up for some wheels.

I would think my Cherokee would do 0-60 in pretty close to 9 seconds. It's pretty peppy since it's geared so low. However, that also means it's a gas-guzzler. :( But right now, it's worth it! :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]