Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Huh?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2006
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2006
    I love those meters on the Carver.Reminds me of a Technics unit I lusted for back in the 80's
    Is the 500T an 80's vintage?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited November 2006
    The guts of my lastest project.An Active crossover
    a1.JPG 194.9K
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2006
    GV#27 wrote:
    I love those meters on the Carver.Reminds me of a Technics unit I lusted for back in the 80's
    Is the 500T an 80's vintage?
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited November 2006
    Parasound HCA 1500A
    P1.jpg 185.4K
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • GATOR3000
    GATOR3000 Posts: 355
    edited November 2006
    OK...here is another Parasound HCA 1500A with more close ups.
    Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    Receiver Denon AVR 3806 Pre/Pro
    Parasound HCA 1500A amp (front L/R)
    Parasound HCA 1000A amp (centre)
    B & K AV5000 amp (bi-amp + surround)
    Dynaco ST70 tube amp (Herbie HAL-O9)
    polkaudio Lsi15 (Cherry) 2-channel
    polkaudio Rti8 Front (Cherry)
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    polkaudio PSW1000 Subwoofer (Cherry)
    Original A8T CD
    Pioneer DV-275 DVD Player
    MONSTER CABLE MP-HTS3500MKII Powercentre
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2006
    sweet!
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • GATOR3000
    GATOR3000 Posts: 355
    edited November 2006
    Here is the guts of my new ASL AQ 1003 DT integrated tube amp. This baby sound sweet.

Cheers

Gator :):)
    Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    Receiver Denon AVR 3806 Pre/Pro
    Parasound HCA 1500A amp (front L/R)
    Parasound HCA 1000A amp (centre)
    B & K AV5000 amp (bi-amp + surround)
    Dynaco ST70 tube amp (Herbie HAL-O9)
    polkaudio Lsi15 (Cherry) 2-channel
    polkaudio Rti8 Front (Cherry)
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    polkaudio PSW1000 Subwoofer (Cherry)
    Original A8T CD
    Pioneer DV-275 DVD Player
    MONSTER CABLE MP-HTS3500MKII Powercentre
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited November 2006
    Now that's interesting...
    :-)
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited November 2006
    Anyone have pics or dare to dissect their Monster MPA 2250/3250? Curious what these look like inside?

Mike
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    Spectral DMC 10 Preamp all gold guts. . .circa 1985
  • Systems
    edited November 2006
    The inards of their stuff is always a thing of beauty.IMO back then only FM Acoustics and maybe Threshold built things as nicely.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    GV#27 wrote:
    The guts of my lastest project.An Active crossover

Where are you placing it in the rig? (e.g. between pre & amp, amp and speaks/woofer, etc)
  • Systems
    edited November 2006
    Where are you placing it in the rig? (e.g. between pre & amp, amp and speaks/woofer, etc)
    I am removing the passive crossover for my midrange and tweeter and adding the active unit and another amp(Bryston 2B) for the tweeters.It is inserted between the preamp and power amps.My system will now be a fully active 4way.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Very cool. One day I would like to tri amp my 1.2 TLs. I am currently going to biamp them but I just haven't decided what amp I want to use on the high freq. I also asked a question is the threads about using a crossover between my pre and amp. I got mixed opinions. Please let me know how you make out with yours.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2006
    Very cool. One day I would like to tri amp my 1.2 TLs.

Be careful hooking that third amp to those passive radiators..............;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Be careful hooking that third amp to those passive radiators..............;)
    When connecting an amp to the lower binding posts, are you not connecting to the passive radiator?:confused:
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2006
    Passive radiators are just passive...............they are acting as a tuned port. They have no voice coil or magnet to power and simply move in and out from the pressure of the mid woofers. Pull one out of the cabinet and you will be surprised how simple they are. It is just a basket, a plywood board and woofer surround.

The bottom binding posts are mid woofer posts.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Passive radiators are just passive...............they are acting as a tuned port. They have no voice coil or magnet to power and simply move in and out from the pressure of the mid woofers. Pull one out of the cabinet and you will be surprised how simple they are. It is just a basket, a plywood board and woofer surround.

The bottom binding posts are mid woofer posts.

Thanks Dennis.:)
  • Systems
    edited November 2006
    Very cool. One day I would like to tri amp my 1.2 TLs. I am currently going to biamp them but I just haven't decided what amp I want to use on the high freq. I also asked a question is the threads about using a crossover between my pre and amp. I got mixed opinions. Please let me know how you make out with yours.

I was finally able to try the new active crossover on the weekend and I will say that it is big improvement over the passive one it replaces.

If you wanted to add an active crossover between preamp and amp you would need to remove the passive one built into the speaker.But there is a good chance the change will not be for the better.There are several factors that are involved in doing this that must be considered if it is to be an improvement.If done correctly some big improvements can be expected.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    GV#27 wrote:
    I was finally able to try the new active crossover on the weekend and I will say that it is big improvement over the passive one it replaces.

If you wanted to add an active crossover between preamp and amp you would need to remove the passive one built into the speaker.But there is a good chance the change will not be for the better.There are several factors that are involved in doing this that must be considered if it is to be an improvement.If done correctly some big improvements can be expected.

I'm glad to hear you were able to improve your system DIY STYLE!!!.

I, however, am confused, how is an active crossover between my Spectral preamp and my two Adcom mono blocks seen by the 1.2 TL's passive crossover?:confused:
  • Systems
    edited November 2006
    I'm glad to hear you were able to improve your system DIY STYLE!!!.

I, however, am confused, how is an active crossover between my Spectral preamp and my two Adcom mono blocks seen by the 1.2 TL's passive crossover?:confused:
    Thanks.

Thought that this article would be able to explain it better than I could.
    Hope this is helpful.
    http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    GV#27 wrote:
    Thanks.

Thought that this article would be able to explain it better than I could.
    Hope this is helpful.
    http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm

Wow I already read that about a month ago. Come to think of it I think you turned me onto the site.

I better read it again.:o
  • Systems
    edited November 2006
    Yes it is a bit technical but informative.

Basically you use either a passive or an active crossover but not both.The speaker with a passive network should get a full range signal from the amp so that it can do its job of dividing the bass from the treble.
    Then it routes the bass to the woofers and the treble to the tweeters.If you put an active unit between the preamp and amp it does the frequency dividing before it gets to the amp and speaker.If a passive network is still in the speaker than you will get some unpredictable frequency response errors.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    GV#27 wrote:
    Yes it is a bit technical but informative.

Basically you use either a passive or an active crossover but not both.The speaker with a passive network should get a full range signal from the amp so that it can do its job of dividing the bass from the treble.
    Then it routes the bass to the woofers and the treble to the tweeters.If you put an active unit between the preamp and amp it does the frequency dividing before it gets to the amp and speaker.If a passive network is still in the speaker than you will get some unpredictable frequency response errors.

Gottcha, I do remember reading about that, I just printed the article again to peruse before bed tonight.

Thanks for all the information.
    Joe:) :)
  • Systems
    edited November 2006
    You are very welcome Joe.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited November 2006
    Ain't seen any guts in a while.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2006
    Well, hasn't been much on the slab lately at Casa Hardy, but I did clean the pots on a couple of little Sherwoods Sunday.

Two pictures of an early/mid 1970's S-7200 receiver. The SS Sherwoods are considered "sleepers" in some circles: demand and price is low, sound quality is good. The FM tuners were especially good. Sherwood built top quality tuners for many, many years, starting as "Radio Craftsmen" in the early 1950's (or even before?).

The other photo is a later (ca. 1980??) Sherwood S-702 CP ("certified performance") integrated amp. These were apparently made in Korea by Inkel (according to AK member "Nakdoc").
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2006
    For comparison, and FWIW, here is a very old Radio Craftsmen AM/FM tuner. I thought I'd posted this semi-nude in this thread already, but danged if I can find it...

craftsmenC-810side.jpg