Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 898
    VR3 wrote: »
    You should bring that bad boy to Georgia
    Fine with me as long as you (and your strong, young back) move it around.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,578
    8807cou69jsb.png

Looks like y'all's got some scorchin' goin' on on the that PC board (center right)
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,347
    jdjohn wrote: »

Do it. Me and Trey will get it.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - PS Audio SGC - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,377
    edited February 14
    I would say I would bring the pass labs, but it has to be on for 3 days before it even sounds good. Haha. Plus I don't know if it will be back yet.
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    joecoulson wrote: »

Do it. Me and Trey will get it.
    Come on, guys...it takes several hours for it to warm-up. I'm more than willing to bring it, but we have to start thinking about how much time we *really* have for critical listening. I can load it up for the trip, no problem, so just say the word.

Remember Joe, you also wanted to give the S300 class D a fair shot.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,377
    Yeah pretty much all of the apps we are talking about take a full 24 hours to get up to speed and they still are not "there"
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    If say just the s300 as my reason for that is possible acquisition of the mono’s if they outperform the Linns. Which will be a hard feat
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - PS Audio SGC - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,075
    edited February 15
    Come on, guys...it takes several hours for it to warm-up. I'm more than willing to bring it, but we have to start thinking about how much time we *really* have for critical listening. I can load it up for the trip, no problem, so just say the word.

Remember Joe, you also wanted to give the S300 class D a fair shot.

Great point. Frankly I'll be surprised if Joe can stop flapping his gums long enough to do any real listening.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Takes one to know one DG
    fastz28 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    8807cou69jsb.png

Looks like y'all's got some scorchin' goin' on on the that PC board (center right)

thats why i got it for free and i got a board from audio research and rebuilt it.

most excellent :)
  • dorokusaidorokusai Posts: 25,436
    I love that this thread I created is still going. Great pics guys, keep it up.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,430
    edited February 16
    Dude, we lose @TonyB, we get @dorokusai back?!

... and he still has more posts than I do.

PS this is a great thread, even if the title was Vanilla-hostile.

• ALL212ALL212 Posts: 1,116
    yjnhxt7ufz5d.jpg

The split brain version of these amps:

Duelly power supplies and boards.
    mq2kcjsyemk3.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
    Rogue Audio Triton phono pre...nice Audyn caps
    vgqy3e1prsjj.jpg

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,764
    edited February 23
    Couple Chinese Class A/B sub amps I purchased...

yjny00i4ojuw.jpeg
    c96g2u48eecl.jpeg
    rm0uw40g9tu4.jpeg
    kgdg241zjyg1.jpeg
    2oj0dw9eg4h7.jpeg
    qwib1oix6zai.jpeg
    coor1g3i2whj.jpeg
    wp3a4nf380bx.jpeg
    359gzmzwkcdd.jpeg
    qltc2tjioieo.jpeg
    5a901mlpj0i1.jpeg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    challenge!

can anyone find images of the PS Audio M700's on the inside?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,075
    joecoulson wrote: »
    challenge!

can anyone find images of the PS Audio M700's on the inside?

This is what it's ICEpower module looks like, if that helps:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F0%2F20150512080859_ICEPower700ASC2FrontWeb.jpg
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Can’t believe no one has a shot of the inside of the M700’s
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 363
    steveinaz wrote: »
    This?
    i0yr0z3796pr.jpg
    I think that's it. It's honestly even more open space than I was expecting. But these amps get solid reviews from users, so nothing to stress about.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,280
    edited March 5
    Amazing how far amplification has developed! How can those limited components compete with big transformers and big PC boards and a bunch of capacitors or just 2 huge capacitors is beyond me?

I get that there isn't a tuner and all sorts of other things going on in those cases.

It's like the tech. progress made with phones over the same years. AMAZING!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,987
    There was no caption for that photo, so I'm not sure it's an M700...
    It looks like it for sure. Amazing how there is like @displayname said all the extra space inside.
    Again though, benchtesting shows how powerful this amp is.
    edited March 6
    Tony M wrote: »
    Amazing how far amplification has developed! How can those limited components compete with big transformers and big PC boards and a bunch of capacitors or just 2 huge capacitors is beyond me?

I get that there isn't a tuner and all sorts of other things going on in those cases.

It's like the tech. progress made with phones over the same years. AMAZING!

Bear in mind that the "Class D" (pulse width modulation) amplifiers like those ICE modules rely heavily on LSIs (large scale integrated circuits) to pack their functionality into a small, albeit energy-efficient, package. Many such devices use SMDs (surface mount devices) as well, to keep things as small as possible, but I don't espy too, too many SMDs in the photo(s) above. Some of the ICs are SMDs, and there look to be SMD resistors and maybe some SMD ICs on the P/S (?) board for the gain modules (the "odd board" in the back of the unit).

Class D amp modules are, in fact, far, FAR (FAR) more complex than a traditional Class A/B push-pull power amplifier. They gain electrical efficiency, in essence (and I am playing very fast in loose with PWM amplifier topology*!), by deconstructing the audio waveform, amplifying and then reconstructing it by filtering out the ultrasonics. They also use an upconverting (high frequency) power supply to obviate the need for large transformers and capacitors to generate the operating voltages to run the amplifier(s). The Class D amps and switching P/S generate huge amounts of ultrasonic "noise" that has to be dealt with, but, again, the filter networks needed are small and inexpensive to implement.

Is this approach better or worse, or just different than tranditional analog power amplifiers, single ended or push pull, operating in Class AB or Class A? It is certainly better in terms of energy efficiency (which is no small matter, especially in 2019's marketplace). It also lowers cost considerably (the ICEpower modules are quite inexpensive for what they do).

Sonically, of course, it's in the ears of the beholder. :)

________
    * Good overview of Class D amplifier strategy here:
    https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/class-d-audio-amplifiers.html

• Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 482
    Here are some inside shots of my new to me Aragon 8008 mkii I just picked up off of @Jetmaker737 . This thing has gobs of power and current.
    e0tcifennexz.jpg
    l1vr5vgr9xep.jpg
    3oebe4q3ckz0.jpg
    1ol45xixni01.jpg
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,019
    Those are beasts! Is it original Mondale (sp) or Klipsch era?
    Wow. That’s a beast
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 482
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Those are beasts! Is it original Mondale (sp) or Klipsch era?

It is the Klipsch era 8008 mkii which is electronically the same as the 8008bb from Mondial...just upgraded aesthetics. I'm really digging this amp with the 1.2tl's. I think the amp is even larger in person than it looks in pictures online.