Pointless post: Where'd the lightning bugs go?

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
When I was a kid, 40ish years ago, I had a lightning bug catcher. Could fill it in no time. They'd practically smack you in the face while playing kick the can at dusk. Now, here in SE PA, basically nada. What gives?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Plenty around here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Luciferase wielding bastids are everywhere here now.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    When I was a kid in the 60's, growing up on the edge of a city in NC, we had clouds of them in the summers. As the city grew around us their numbers dwindled to almost nothing. I've since learned the larvae need undisturbed vegetation, leaf litter, forest mulch, etc. to survive. There's nothing like seeing fireflies/lightning bugs on a summer night.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Few to none here right now, but they tend to increase a bit in number when the wildflowers and sunflowers get going.

I remember those summer nights out playing, too. There would be loads of them, yeah. Might have been later in the summer as well, though?

This city is no longer sleepy like it was in the 80s. Farms on the edge sold and developed, built, and are continuing to build, shopping and housing on all the green space.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    I've had 'em on a stick.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Got them here. I also see a swarm of lady bugs in late fall.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Loss of habitat has led to them dwindling in many places.
    We haven't had many this year -- but I suspect (hope) it's due to weather (cool and wet late spring/early summer). Last year, they were plentiful.
    52151517894_d464f5e729_b.jpg
    We might still see a peak this week or next.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Yep,same here. Saw the first ones of the year(at least they were the 1st ones I noticed) over the weekend. July here is full of them, then in August the nights get noisy with the peepers. I would love summer but for the humidity.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I've had 'em on a stick.

Chocolate covered ?
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    They appeared early not as many as usual round here haven't seen any in about a week. Western Iowa Eastern Illinois area. Used to be late June -mid July lots of them not this year.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I've been actively planting and landscaping to be conducive to fireflies/lightning bugs and I noticed last night that I had considerably more flashes across the back yard than last year.

Made me quite happy.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Never see them in the SC Low Country
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    They were dive bombing me while I was watching the fireworks tonight.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,345
    Options
    In upstate SC?

There has been a dramatic decrease in them....unless I am preemptively speaking. Our yard used to light up but so far, this year?

Nada. None. Like, not even one.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I never see them here in the Twin Cities.
    They were all around at night when I lived on the Wisconsin/Illinois border. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,345
    Options
    Come to think of it.....hummingbirds aren't as prevalent as they have been in yesteryear.

Ant hills, on the other hand are thriving.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Wife has a hummingbird feeder. Yard is chock full of them.
    I see them all day flying around.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Wife has a hummingbird feeder. Yard is chock full of them.
    I see them all day flying around.

If you feed them, they will come.
    (especially out West, but even in the northeast, where we only have one species of hummer)

51386312010_f6c1ede33b_b.jpg

1 cup of sugar plus water (I boil it first) to four cups final volume. (1:3 is better at the beginning and end of the season, when those little rascals are extra-hungry).
  • Jstas
    Options
    https://www.firefly.org/

The biggest changes I made to get more fireflies were:
    - Stopped mowing every week
    - Mow at a taller setting on the mower deck
    - Let the grass grow more between every mowing
    - Start mowing later in the season (gives eggs time to hatch)
    - Thinned out the herd of trees (fireflies like moist soil and too many trees strip water out of soil)
    - Got rid of non-native plants
    - Improved soil health (brings what lightning bugs like to eat)
    - Got rid of excessive outdoor lighting and put lights on motion detectors so they aren't on all the time.

Also, stopped using weed killers and learned something about "weeds" and how they can help manage soil conditions and create an environment where desirable plants want to grow.

Biggest change was planting clover everywhere. Gets me two major things. Pollinators everywhere in the sea of little white tufts. They are never a bother either.

The other thing is clover helps retain moisture in the soil by creating shade. Two things fireflies like. It's also a nitrogen fixer so everything that the grass takes out of the soil, the clover puts back in. So together they thrive and muscle out weeds and create a thick, carpet like lawn. Fireflies love it because they can hide deep in the turf during the day and eat stuff they like that lives in that area of the turf.

So, you want fireflies, do the following:
    - Mow less frequently and mulch your clippings
    - Cool it with the lawn chemicals and learn about more natural ways to manage your lawn
    - Stop it with stuff like mosquito fogging and lawn pesticides, it doesn't really work anyway and just harms everything
    - Kill the lights, fireflies won't hang out where they can't see each other

• Jstas
    Options
    Oh, also, hummingbirds. Feeders are cool and all if you want to see them up close on the regular but, they are pollinators too and they would rather be going for a natural source that has more nutrients in it than sugar water.

We don't have feeders at the house but I see hummingbirds all the time. They are always around the lake with many natural wildflowers that the hummingbirds zip in and out of.

So if you want more hummingbirds, look in to what you local native flowering plants are and put them in your yard. 'Cause feeders will attract them but if you want them to stay you need habitat.

You can also plant stuff in a garden to manage as well. But things like "butterfly bushes" are invasive and not what hummingbirds go after. They go after stuff like Bee Balm and Red Sage (Salvia Sage), Honeysuckle, Cardinal Flower and if you're in Eastern North America, especially the Mid-Atlantic and warmer areas of the Northeast, Trumpet Vine is also known as Hummingbird Vine for a reason.

I have Trumpet Vine growing in the tree line at the back of the yard where there's a small swamp. That is, by far, the area where we have the most hummingbirds running around and it's also the area where I hear the most tree frog calls.

But stuff like Bee Balm, Red Sage and Cardinal Flower are super easy to grow and care for. You basically plant them and that's it. Get good with your weedwhacker, though, 'cause they will spread.

• BinKY188_5
    BinKY188_5 Posts: 128
    Options
    Plenty of lightning bugs and hummingbirds here.