Housing market's gonna crash

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,357
    Our rate is 2.5% fixed...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 762
    What disturbs me is not the principal or the interest on it, but that the taxes are 5% more than the principal and interest combined, and that will never go down or go away.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,112
    Ok what's going to happen if the real estate market doesn't crash? Since they're not making any more land my crystal ball doesn't see a crash but it does see higher prices.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    That's pretty obtuse and pretty much troll baiting.

Real estate is not just housing.

Housing is only part of real estate.

Real estate encompasses all land, developed and undeveloped.

The housing market relies on the mortgage industry and borrowing. The borrowing vs. valuation of the property borrowed against, that's where the problem is.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^^^Call it trolling if you'd like but those houses that are soon to crash do have to reside somewhere so real estate is a big part of the overall equation. Just saying.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    yhmx6fq2xaa5.jpg

Just sayin'.…
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    If buyers can't afford it, the thing will sit on the market.
    And the seller doesn't want to eat the loss. So then what?
    There was about 8 years of that limbo around Memphis.
    Are we ready for something like that to happen everywhere?
    Dallas market pre-2008 didn't go crazy. This time, it was a
    hotbed of crazy price hikes. I don't think they will be as lucky
    this time around. And let's face it, Los Vegas is going to be
    another blood bath.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,357
    So is Los Angeles… My wife and I were smart and bought in a fantastic neighborhood with great schools at the bottom of the market. We re-fied two years ago and took nothing out but reduced our term by 5 years at the same payment. We were up 700k on our purchase price but with rates like they are, our market value has slipped 100k since July.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    yhmx6fq2xaa5.jpg

Just sayin'.…

FWIW I paid 7 3/8% (it was an excellent rate at the time) for the life of my mortgage. It was far better than paying my much cheaper rent in the long run but some people just don't think long term.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    Yeah, it was either the 70's or 80's that a 7-8% mortgage was either good or the norm. People have been very spoiled the last decade with staggeringly low interest rates. I wouldn't be surprised if the rates keep going up, maybe even doubling and staying there for a very long time. Like, maybe a decade or more, just like back then.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    Having the ability to take out a 30 year loan at between 2 to 3 percent interest is a sign there's something seriously wrong with an economy. It was only that way for so long because of the economic collapse around 2008 and the struggle to get out of that mess.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,828
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Yeah, it was either the 70's or 80's that a 7-8% mortgage was either good or the norm. People have been very spoiled the last decade with staggeringly low interest rates. I wouldn't be surprised if the rates keep going up, maybe even doubling and staying there for a very long time. Like, maybe a decade or more, just like back then.

Tom

90s as well. We bought our house in 1996 through an FmHA loan with a variable interest rate, but capped at 7.25% for life. So @motorstereo you are not far off of that, though not sure when you bought?

I should add, my max monthly payment (without taxes or insurance) is capped at $741.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    So I shouldn't complain about my 3.25% 15 yr fixed?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,282
    edited October 2022
    Actually during the early 80's it was over 16%, early 90's they fell to about 10%. I can remember my father stating us kids would never be able to afford a house if something didn't change. I just locked in a 5.5% for 30yrs. Do to the astronomical property taxes in my city I couldn't go with a 15-20yr loan. I've never ever had a mortgage longer the 15yrs previously. My bank loan officer was stating how outrageously high they had become. I calmly look at him and stated my first mortgage was 8.3% so my 5.5% was super in the grand scheme of things. Of course he is only 30yrs old so he honestly had no idea how high they had been in the last decades.

Rocket mortgage history
    vvvvvvv
    Interest rates reached their highest point in modern history in 1981 when the annual average was 16.63%, according to the Freddie Mac data.
    In the 1990s, inflation started to calm down a little bit. The average mortgage rate in 1990 was 10.13%,
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,606
    IIRC, our first mortgage (1982, give or take) was at 13.25%.

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,696
    I've seen rates as high as 9% during my tenure as a homeowner. At this point I am just happy I refinanced 18 months ago at 2.25% for 15 years. Not sure I will have that opportunity again in my lifetime.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • pitdogg2
    tratliff wrote: »
    I've seen rates as high as 9% during my tenure as a homeowner. At this point I am just happy I refinanced 18 months ago at 2.25% for 15 years. Not sure I will have that opportunity again in my lifetime.

That is great! I actually gave up a 2.5% loan that had no escrow for the taxes and insurance. If I kept it I couldn't live on $200 a month to pay bills, gas and food. It wasn't an easy decision, the current atmosphere I fully expected all that to continue to escalate.
  • motorstereo
    Tom[/quote]

90s as well. We bought our house in 1996 through an FmHA loan with a variable interest rate, but capped at 7.25% for life. So @motorstereo you are not far off of that, though not sure when you bought?

I should add, my max monthly payment (without taxes or insurance) is capped at $741.
    [/quote]
    Early 1988 I bought mine which was at the peak of the condo bubble when condos were selling for as much as single family homes. That also was an interesting time in the housing market.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That is great! I actually gave up a 2.5% loan... If I kept it I couldn't live on $200 a month to pay bills, gas and food. It wasn't an easy decision, the current atmosphere I fully expected all that to continue to escalate.

Male gigolo not paying as good as it used to? Damn!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    audioluvr wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That is great! I actually gave up a 2.5% loan... If I kept it I couldn't live on $200 a month to pay bills, gas and food. It wasn't an easy decision, the current atmosphere I fully expected all that to continue to escalate.

Male gigolo not paying as good as it used to? Damn!

If you seen me naked you'd understand!!!

😂
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,233
    Lol...the 420 workout
    ... and my body by bud....yeah, not a pretty site
    All that matters is I can still shoot straight
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    I can definitely shoot straight! So I've still got that going for me😂😂
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/home-prices-expected-to-fall-even-if-no-recession/

Investment companies have basically come to a screeching halt. This will have a big impact on availability and demand.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    edited October 2022
    I can't believe we're still pushing the "not inflation" and "not a recession" narrative.

• pitdogg2
    Jstas wrote: »
    I can't believe we're still pushing the "not inflation" and "not a recession" narrative.

You mean like get vaccinated and stop the spread ..... Yea same people!

🤣🤣
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    No inflation here, just paying more for quality products and service
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    Well, my first home in the 80’s had a 12.5% fixed 30 year interest rate.
    That was at a reduced rate as it was thru the VA.

I don’t think we’re done with rate hikes yet…
  • Jstas
    edited October 2022
    The Feds flat out said they were going to do staged rate increases over the next 6 months and that was back at the end of June. If their timeline is accurate, they have two more hikes coming before the end of the year. Then they're going to reassess and see if more rate hikes are needed.

I heard a talking head on a news channel I was surfing past say that he would not be surprised if we hit 10% rates by next spring. That might be extreme but we haven't see inflation like this since the Carter administration and digging out of that is what led to the 12-13% rates.
    Post edited by Jstas on

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    Oh man, 10% not good.

Unless cd rates go up in relation to rates.
    Remember my Pop getting 2 year cd’s @ 13%.