Housing market's gonna crash

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Milito wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »
    There's a few bubbles in the works.

That instantaneous devaluation and subsequent loss of mortgage income is what led to the crash in 2007.

The crash in 2007 was also the result of a certain President and political party in the early 90's thinking everyone should be able to buy a home even though they didn't have the income to afford one. They passed legislation requiring banks to make questionable loans to people who really couldn't afford the houses they were buying.

My wife worked for a financial company and they got sued by the Feds because they weren't making those kind of loans and were then forced to make them.

I worked with a guy who bought a new one. Within a year or 1 1/2, him and his family broke apart and they had to give the home to the bank. They didn't plan well enough for the house payments and all the bills and taxes that go along with ownership. Plus new furniture and new baby costs on top of that? Plus a new car to go along with the dream.

It was obvious to me. I knew his wife's parents were there to help but it just got too much for all of them. Sad.

People were telling us by the 10's to build a new bigger house in one of the new subdivisions. NOPE. We were dead set on not having a morgage payment for many years to come. :p We're still here too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see the trend line for the NJ foreclosures from, say, 2000 to present.

You know what? I've seen that statistic and I think I know where I can get it but it'll have to wait until after summer camp week.

But it was not a good trend and I can point to each spike and tell you what crap fiscal policy out of Trenton caused it.

Cool.
    I would look myself (and I still might) but I am pretty lazy.
    The state of MA is very good about making data like that readily available in meta-analyzable form -- well, at least for school district funding, budgets, and per-pupil spending (the kind of stuff I cared about when I was on a school board there).

Just wondering, of course whether NJ cleaves to, or tends to lead, lag, or to correlate poorly, with broader US trends in that parameter (foreclosures).

• Tony M
    edited July 2022
    SIHAB wrote: »
    anonymouse wrote: »

That instantaneous devaluation and subsequent loss of mortgage income is what led to the crash in 2007.

The crash in 2007 was also the result of a certain President and political party in the early 90's thinking everyone should be able to buy a home even though they didn't have the income to afford one. They passed legislation requiring banks to make questionable loans to people who really couldn't afford the houses they were buying.

My wife worked for a financial company and they got sued by the Feds because they weren't making those kind of loans and were then forced to make them.

Yes I am sure it was only colored people who took out loans they could not repay.

What the. I think you need to re-read the post. Maybe you could ask the
    moderator to delete yours.

My co-worker who jumped on the easy house buying rules was white, ex-marine and a hard worker too. ;) I think ANYBODY that had a job for a while was eligible and rarely refused a home loan.

I also faintly remember their monthly house payment went up gradually over that year or 1 1/2 years too. :'(
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The con on the home sales back then was the short term ARM loans that were given out for the buyers down payment. This usually stretched and took the buyer into "over budget" ...

If they got behind those ARM notes had a hefty balloon note payoff ...pop the bubble
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I guess there is no personal responsibility, or common sense nowadays, I would think people would know if they could afford a home loan or not, even if the lender says you are approved.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Correct ..."Keeping up with the Jones'"

Plus that heart felt feeling of family and a nice home, while they waived the carrot in front over your nose...with that piece of paper "approved"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    invalid wrote: »
    I guess there is no personal responsibility, or common sense nowadays, I would think people would know if they could afford a home loan or not, even if the lender says you are approved.

... which includes being able to figure out if one can afford the home loan for, say, 3 months if one suddenly finds oneself outta work. :#

• mhardy6647
    Sorry to hear about your mother, @aprazer402
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Sorry to hear about your mother as well. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

Don't be a stranger though. Some of the things you ran across have cracked me up over the years.

I don't think sales will slow down too gawd awful much and rent prices will remain high because of those investment companies. In some cities/counties/major metropolitan areas, they already own 10% of the area and rent them out at exorbitant prices. (Read $2.3K a month for something someone could literally buy for 1K a month)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well, please allow me to comment further on that last post. Rising interest rates will have a substantial effect on sales for private homeowners. The investment companies will just restructure and raise their rents even higher but they will not slow down IMO/IME. They are making way too much bank to stop buying.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907

Yes I am sure it was only colored people who took out loans they could not repay.

Nobody said anything about the race of the people buying the houses as people of all races were guilty buying more than they could afford.

Some people have to bring race into every discussion. Get over it.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    Watch "The Big Short" with Christian Bale. The banksters engaged in predatory lending via subprime mortgages and turned it into a pyramid scheme via credit default swaps. I don't see the fair lending act as being the cause. Just greed. And none of them bastids did any time in jail and most got bailed out and were collecting fat bonuses within short order afterwards.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited July 2022
    Also see the movie "Margin Call" although I thought The Big Short was more entertaining. Housing was the focus of massive speculation and corruption from bottom to top at the time until some of the speculators decided the music had come to an end, as they put it, and pulled the plug. Not the first time and won't be the last. It's how capitalism has worked for hundreds of years.

As far as house prices go, in my area there still aren't many places on the market but the asking prices are dropping about 5 to 10 percent from their peak back in the spring but those were inflated by about 30 to 40 percent since the start of the pandemic.
  • Milito

Nobody said anything about the race of the people buying the houses as people of all races were guilty buying more than they could afford.

Some people have to bring race into every discussion. Get over it.

@Milito you brought in a certain president and alleged that (fair lending) laws are the problem that caused the financial crisis. Anybody familiar with the fair lending laws knows that those laws address (racial) discrimination. I'm sorry for calling your innuendo, but there is nothing about fair credit laws that forced bad loans. Those laws were all about (racial) discrimination.

I said also, which means in addition to. I didn't say that was the only problem. There were plenty of other races besides blacks who bought more house than they could afford. Like I said where my wife worked they were told by the Feds to make loans to people who shouldn't have purchased as expensive a house as they did which caused problems later for them.

Were there some banks and mortgage lenders that played the system, of course and they should have been punished for it.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I'm see more homes on my local market lately not selling.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    mrloren wrote: »
    I'm see more homes on my local market lately not selling.

Not here! The only sign you ever see is the sold sign. If you're not looking at Zillow every 15min you've lost out.
    Its CRAZY!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Interesting related article. Mortgage interest rate and appreciation.

https://appraisalbuzz.com/market-correction-or-seller-panic/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2022
    My father always said if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it. Outside a mortgage obviously. He always paid cash for cars, trips, whatever. It wasn't until his 60's he finally got a CC because he didn't like having to carry that much cash around.

Different times now, you can't live without debt. Your credit score would reflect that. What a racket huh, you have to go into debt, to prove your worthy of credit, to lift your credit score so you can borrow larger sums of money and go into larger debts. The whole system is by design to keep people in debt.

Remember, the Banks are too big to fail, your not. They'll get bailed out, you won't.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    edited July 2022
    I played the CC jumping game 35 years ago. No interest for about 15 years. The Companies kept sending 0% for 9 months' offers. We did get a Credit score of 9.5 one bank loan officer told me. Her eyes got huge when the score showed up on her screen. :D
    She said it was one of the best she had ever seen. All we did was charge some expensive things and never missed a payment over the years.

We still don't pay interest on 99% of our charges since we can now afford to pay the bills when they come in.

My Mom used to jump around with the phone companies back in the 70s and 80s. They would send her $$$ to switch. :o

My old mortgage was sold to other mega organizations about 3 or 4 times. Nothing ever changed payment-wise, but they notified us with a letter when it switched hands.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    All our goods and services cost a little more because people use credit cards instead of cash, that's why you don't pay any interest if you pay it off every month, your paying on the front side.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    For the most part, those who pay cash are subsidizing the credit card payers, with certain exceptions like gas stations where they have two prices. I figure I have to pay with a credit card, because the prices have the credit card payers fees that the merchants have to pay to cc companies baked into the price, so I might as well get the cash back to offset that.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    You are talking about a systemic change. In our current environment, things cost the same whether cash or credit. So if I have to pay extra, I may as well receive it back.

Just like people I know asking for 15 dollars a hour minimum wage. If you don't change the system, it could be a million dollar a hour minimum wage, you will still be broke. Everything will cost more and people will be replaced with self check outs without a systemic change.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2022
    tonyb wrote: »
    Different times now, you can't live without debt. Your credit score would reflect that. What a racket huh, you have to go into debt, to prove your worthy of credit, to lift your credit score so you can borrow larger sums of money and go into larger debts. The whole system is by design to keep people in debt.

Not sure why you say that, or maybe I'm not sure what you mean.
    No debt here. We did finance Mrs. H's last car (first time we ever did so) 'cause the interest rate was considerably less than the rate of inflation. It's been paid off for a couple of years, though. Our credit scores are fine (Discover shows us ours every month, bless their hearts).

• Milito
    We charge everything to get the airline miles. We do however pay them off each month. We have made 4-5 flights to Europe and never paid for an airline ticket in either business class or first class.

With my bad back I can't sit in coach seats for that long a flight. I tried it flying back from London one year and it just about killed me as my back was killing me when we landed. Never again on a long flight.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    VR3 wrote: »
    I make thousands every year from credit card points and bonuses, one card alone was close to 1400.

I haven't carried cash or a debit card since I was in high school.

Never paid a penny in interest either

Credit cards and debt in general are like any other tool. A hammer can build a house or knock one down, all depends on its use.

Banks also have tons of bonuses for new checking and saving customers. I bet in the past two years I have opened and closed accounts at over a dozen banks.

Use the system, don't let it use you!

Agree, this ^^^. I do have a debit card too, but I use a credit card for many daily purchases and ALL on-line purchases. Rack up the cash bonuses and pay it off every statement. All Paypal purchases are made with 6 months no interest. I have the cash to make the purchase, but why not use someone else's cash for free. I don't make a lot of Paypal purchases in general and when I do they are usually larger purchases, like most of the new office rig.

The only down side is tracking multiple payments a month, but with electronic billing and on-line payment, it's easy peasy.

Obviously in my scenario I never "charge" more than I can pay off in a statement cycle. I love the convenience, the purchase tracking and of course the cash back rewards which are generally 3-5%.

Sorry to John for the derail.....

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    That's the credit card trap. Most people get themselves into trouble
    It's kind of like that great cheap buffet at the casino.
    As long as you stick to the plan you're OK. Most can't.
    The world changed when people stopping being called customers
    and became consumers. Once you can walk through a store and
    can't think of a thing you need, you're on your way to
    getting off the treadmill.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson