Monitor series 5 Jr

butterbeanbutterbean Posts: 313
edited September 2020 in Vintage Speakers
Picked up a pair for $25 at an estate sale today! Grills are in great shape, and geez they Rock! I’m surprised just how smooth they sound. Very defined mid range. Smooth highs, not shrill Or too bright. And the passives give a nice punch! The only issues are 2 mitre joints on each speakers are starting to separate. A nice project! Having fun fun from the rabbit hole 😂 94dgul1bz4r0.jpeg
z443mmop5lxc.jpeg

Comments

• Those are the Monitor 5JR+. They were most likely stored on a damp floor at some point. That will cause the particle board to swell.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

• Yea was thinking that, any suggestions on how to fix them? They sound great! I’m enjoying them!
  • Are they still airtight even with the particle board swelling like that?
  • After closer inspection unfortunately no one corner on each seems to have a small gap
  • I can see the front lip is also raised. You'll never get the cabinets back to their original condition. I would seal them internally, and use them in the garage or workroom. They're great little compact speakers.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

• Yes, when you said moisture, I figured that would be the case. I really like them I was Impressed by how much sound came out of such a small package. I plan to play with them a little bit in the garage this winter and see what I can come up with. As always thanks for the advice!
  • seabeerob213seabeerob213 Posts: 1,843
    edited September 2020
    Depends on what your goals and skills in the woodshop are. You could seal them up, plane the all sides, and put some really nice veneers or any other covering you'd like. That's what I plan to do with my 5jr+. They got some chips along the back edges of the sides, a couple screw holes in the back from some hook that used to be on it, and they're just in pretty ugly shape. I'm atleast gonna hit it with some wood filler and the orbital sander.
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4( also have some def tech pro Mon. 800s, may end up her or expanding this to 7 channel.)
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5A peerless
    Headphones:
    Source: FIIO X3 CD rips WMA lossless
    Amp: FIIO E12, Nuforce icon udcac-2 W/pangea cable
    Cans: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS,
    THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE,
    THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER
    WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS
    WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"
    Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • wsknjf8l99p0.jpg
    HT/2channel:
    surrounds:Polk RTi4( also have some def tech pro Mon. 800s, may end up her or expanding this to 7 channel.)
    Headphones:
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

• wsknjf8l99p0.jpg

Saving ol' Polks, a labor of love. :)
  • seabeerob213seabeerob213 Posts: 1,843
    edited September 2020
    krazypolk wrote: »
    wsknjf8l99p0.jpg

Saving ol' Polks, a labor of love. :)

No I just need drivers for my 5s and 7s
    HT/2channel:
    Headphones:

• Yeah I’m gonna do some research take them apart, That’s the great thing about this forum. You have A lot of people that have great love and passion for audio, and they do tremendous work, and do amazing jobs refurbishing classic speakers. And they’re always willing to help you on your journey!
  • butterbean wrote: »
    Yeah I’m gonna do some research take them apart, That’s the great thing about this forum. You have A lot of people that have great love and passion for audio, and they do tremendous work, and do amazing jobs refurbishing classic speakers. And they’re always willing to help you on your journey!

Truth, but Everytime I've found the right drivers I'm late to the party and they've sold 😂, now I gotta find that elusive black paint, the driver's can wait.
    HT/2channel:
    Headphones: