Onkyo's New Flagship!

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited May 2004 in Electronics
I love these Monsters. Have owned a couple of Onkyo's flagships. But now they are too pricey for my wallet.TX-NR1000
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I like Onkyo's stuff ... I still have an 801 elsewhere in the house and their universal player in my HT rig ... but when all is said and done, it's STILL JUST a RECEIVER ...
  • nemos2
    nemos2 Posts: 111
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Looks solid, but what is that card on top of the box? IS that and add on? What does it do? where does it go?
    Polk LSi 15 Fronts
    Polk LSi C center
    Polk LSiFX Surrounds
    Outlaw Audio 990 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw Audio 755 amp
    Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
    Outlaw Audio Cables
    BetterCables Cables
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hit the link and read up on it, that is why I posted it.

In an age when home entertainment technology is often out of date as soon as it is introduced, Onkyo has now adapted the computer industry's architecture of replaceable modules, upgradeable software, and build-to-order marketing. These will make it possible for consumers to upgrade and even customize hardware and software to avoid short-term obsolescence. As new modules become available, customers will have choices, just as they do when purchasing a computer.
    Pretty sweet!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I like the idea, and think it's a technicians' dream....but I am not an Onkyo fan. Onkyo manufactures some solid gear, no doubt, this will hopefully follow their high-end approach. It certainly look's, and read's the part.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I can just see the HT newbie, with more money than brains, looking at the back of his new 14.1 DD- EXXX-DTS-ESSS receiver and bragging to his buddies about the 14 channels of surround sound!

That sure is a buttload of speaker terminals.:D

Dennis
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Just imagine all the wires and cables plugged into that receiver :eek:
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Onkyo & Denon had showed thier new flag ship products at ces & both have gone to upgradeble type products. Need HDMI order an hdmi board etc. Kinda like the higher priced meridian products. Forward compatable is what thier shooting for! Great concept! Spend the money & you will get a product that will be upgradeble for years(hopefully)! You will be able to taylor your receiver to what you need not set your system up around what the receiver can do!
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Dennis Gardner
    I can just see the HT newbie, with more money than brains, looking at the back of his new 14.1 DD- EXXX-DTS-ESSS receiver and bragging to his buddies about the 14 channels of surround sound!

That sure is a buttload of speaker terminals.:D

Dennis

It states that it is a 7.1. For $5000 I think I would lean twards seperates, but if I was spending that much I would give pretty much everything a look-over before commiting.

Dave
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2004
    Options
    This receiver has some nice features for video. It will do video up and down conversion from any source to any source. In these days of video flux, this is almost a need to have feature.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I suppose since my first piece of HT gear was the Onk tx-ds787 I have a bit of soft spot for them. I can say the piece still operates flawlessly and whenever I called Onkyo I always got a person on the other end who understood my questions and gave me an answer I could understand. It really does a great job with HT, with music I find it best just to bypass any processing and go with their "Direct" function.

The idea of being to upgrade by ordering specific parts is another way the electronics industry is trying to meet our needs, likely to trend others will and have followed.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dave shepard
    For $5000 I think I would lean towards seperates
    I'd do more than lean ... I'd run.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I'd have to agree, although it looks nice and I'm sure has an endless supply of bells and whistles, no way would I spend 5 grand on a receiver.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2004
    Options
    hell yeak go pre pro and alot of companys you can send your pre in and get it upgraded like b&k i hope sunfire will do this when they add a dvi switcher.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2004
    Options