Rotel RMB-1075 noise issue

Hello everyone,,
A buddy of mine has a Rotel RMB-1075 that he picked up for cheap. Apparently it was cheap for a reason, as when we plug in source cables, there is an instant, very extremely loud noise, like 100+dB static hum combined. If we unplug RCA cables = no noise.

Another friend suggested an AC input filter cap(s) may be bad, so I'm curious if anyone knows how we could go about testing that, and if bad, how difficult it is to replace.

The unit has no ground built into it - Polarized AC input.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,966
    edited November 9
    Sounds like a cold/broken solder joint where the RCA jacks are soldered to the board. It could also be a defect RCA jack.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,190
    edited November 9
    I agree with F1nut. I have a Rotel RB985 that was dropped in shipping and one channel did that. They used circuit board mounted RCA's that also attached to rear panel with screws. One of the ground terminals broke. Obviously you'll have to remove the cover to see so be careful. Unplug it, be safe etc.

I just soldered a short piece of wire to reconnect it to board rather than disassemble and replace the connector.

t6314-aaad_a.jpg
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *