Amplifier A-B Selector

I want to put a tube amp in my all in one rig (HT, 2 channel) using the same 2 front speakers so I can switch to my SS amp for everyday use and switch to a tube amp for 2 channel when using my pre-amp.

I’ve started to research A/B amp switch boxes and I see there’s a lot to choose from. I’m reading that some can handle 350 watts per channel and some are 100 watts per channel. The SS amp I’m using is 250 watts p/c and the tube amp I’m looking at is 100 watts p/c. Reviews also say that they do not degrade the signal and or sound but you know how reviews are.

I wanted to ask you guys if anyone has used one of these and if they do what they say they do with no problems and if they do indeed not degrade the signal and sound? Any recommendations?

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,454
    edited November 10
    You need a 'break before make' switch -- and adding it to the signal chain will only degrade things. Whether the result will be audible is a crapshoot.
    Personally, I wouldn't do it -- YMMV.

This said, there were switchboxes made for exactly this purpose in the heyday of brick and mortar hifi stores.

Here's a moderately practical and (still) readily available (eBAY) example.

24770045716_cc0c761021_c.jpg011 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24770042506_9c0f87c543_c.jpg014 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

FWIW, I will opine that the best way to do it is to do what the pros do -- build or buy a patch bay. Admittedly, these are usually used for low- or line-level signals... but they'll work reasonably well with larger-gauge cabling for high level signals, too. Better than pushing the signal through a switch, I would think. Plus, no danger of accidentally paralleling or short-circuiting amplifier outputs, and complete
    flexibility -- plus a nice, pro/tech look if aesthetically implemented. B)

lltlbflm1rpo.png
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,642
    What speakers and pre-amp are you using ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable