Do you know Cary?

Hello everyone,,
After selling the Parasound Halo P5 I was going to slum it with the Marantz NR1403 for awhile but I came across this Cary Audio Design CPA-1 Full Balanced preamp and I decided to give it a shot.

Does anyone have any experience with this preamp? I couldn't find much info on it via the interweb. It sounds very good in my setup and it's really amazing with making vocals sound lifelike compared to the P5 (the P5 wasn't bad, this is just different). The seller offered to pay the return shipping if I didn't like it so I had nothing to lose. He said he bought it ostensibly new in 2014 so I'm wondering what the time period was when these were made new.

Thanks for any and all input!

Comments

  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,114
    I don't with that particular pre but it is a distant relative of the SLP-03 hybrid pre I did have.
    It is one of 3 pieces of gear I ever regretted getting rid of as it was just that good.

    This would be the early solid state version of what I had (there is a new model of the solid state pre but the model escapes me at this time). If it follows Cary's normal style and sound, it is a solid piece and a good step in musicality over the Parasound.

    As for how old it is, 2014 would most likely be the tail end of the production run before it was replaced by the SL100 (I believe).
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halohalo Posts: 5,259
    Did you just copy my original post from 2017?
    halo wrote: »
    After selling the Parasound Halo P5 I was going to slum it with the Marantz NR1403 for awhile but I came across this Cary Audio Design CPA-1 Full Balanced preamp and I decided to give it a shot.

    Does anyone have any experience with this preamp? I couldn't find much info on it via the interweb. It sounds very good in my setup and it's really amazing with making vocals sound lifelike compared to the P5 (the P5 wasn't bad, this is just different). The seller offered to pay the return shipping if I didn't like it so I had nothing to lose. He said he bought it ostensibly new in 2014 so I'm wondering what the time period was when these were made new.

    Thanks for any and all input!

    34074130713_5c0d12f1aa_b.jpg
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 13,112
    edited November 5
    LOL...seems we both have experience with that pre...

    Look at the dude's signature. He's nothing but a spammer!

    Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

    The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

    ~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 610
    edited November 5
    Spammer, look in the signature block for the suspect link. @ZLTFUL...you fed the troll :o :#
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,114
    On mobile, you don’t see sigs.
    Not like I intentionally did anything intentionally heinous. Jeebus.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,975
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    On mobile, you don’t see sigs.
    Not like I intentionally did anything intentionally heinous. Jeebus.

    Yep...I basically never check except on mobile...can’t blame zit
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 610
    edited November 6
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    On mobile, you don’t see sigs.
    Not like I intentionally did anything intentionally heinous. Jeebus.

    Jeebus...I was just yankin' your chain....a bit of ribbing. :smiley: Apologies if you thought otherwise. Should have added another smiley emoticon to the ones I used.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,379
    Nightfall wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    We're like ground zero lately for spammers, is there a scent or something attracting them ?

    It's that Panther cologne Ivan's been wearing, betcha.. :)

    Sex Panther?


    That movie was dumb but that scene was awesome!
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

    Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,216
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    We're like ground zero lately for spammers, is there a scent or something attracting them ?

    It's that Panther cologne Ivan's been wearing, betcha.. :)

    Sex Panther?


    That movie was dumb but that scene was awesome!

    i-immediately-regret-this-decision-18012715.png
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!