powered sub with low powered 2ch setup

Hello everyone,,
I'm thinking of hooking up my old psw110 to my low powered 2ch setup...wanna add some deeper low end to my music. Since my shelf system has no sub out I'll be using the speaker level inputs n outputs. My question is...given the low wattage of the system (25 watts per channel), will it be enough for the sub? I never understood how the speaker level connections on the sub worked...is it just another xover?? Would this setup free up the shelf systems amp power to drive my bookshelf speakers better b/c of the low end going to the sub?? Any thoughts would be a great help. Thanks!

Comments

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,505
    Even if you're using high level input the subs built in amp will still be used and your amplifier will not be powering the sub.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,737
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Even if you're using high level input the subs built in amp will still be used and your amplifier will not be powering the sub.

Or, to be a little more detailed: the high level in/outs are nothing but a passthrough with all power from the 2 channel amp going directly to the speakers. The sub merely looks at the signal and treats it as if it was coming from the RCA ports. Think of it like using a multi meter on a live circuit. It only looks at what's going on and displays the result without introducing itself into the circuit.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,814
    My PSW10 has served me well. Get it dialed in and it serves it's purpose, that's why still have it. Unlike the 505 that I had which Codycatalist inherited from me. It was collecting dust at my place, now I guess it's collecting dust at his.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,737
    For their intended use (or at least what I use them for), I've had no issue with my 505s.