New subwoofer(s) recommendation?

So I have the setup in my signature. My theater room is about 16'x16'x10'(H). I had to relocate my Velodyne CHT-12 to my home office to replace a CHT-8 that just bit the dust, so that leaves my home theater without a subwoofer. I'm actually open to the idea of having two subs as well, but I might buy one now and a second later. I don't have a particular budget in mind but maybe less than $1000 would be ideal. Is there a go-to sub for that price point that would work well in my room size?

Comments

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,975
    This is the probably the best deal under a grand for a HT sub:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

SVS has some monster subs but they are all over $1000.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 463
    SVS normally brings back the NSD models for limited Black Friday - Cyber Monday sales. The past few years they have been under $500 each.

At this point in the year I'd hold out to see if they do that again. Dual PB12-NSD would be great for a home theater.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,128
    SVS normally brings back the NSD models for limited Black Friday - Cyber Monday sales. The past few years they have been under $500 each.

At this point in the year I'd hold out to see if they do that again. Dual PB12-NSD would be great for a home theater.

I agree 100%

The HSU are nice subs, I have one
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    edited October 17

Dual PB-12s will give you very little below 20hz, and still would't make the output of the HSU I linked. For music, absolutely I would go dual sealed subs if I could, but for HT that HSU is much better unless you have a terrible room imho...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    That's a good point. I haven't heard the HSU, so I can't speak to it, but I know they are generally well respected. I generally don't poke into HT threads, but given the price point on the black friday sales with SVS, I figured it was worth tossing into the mix.
    Discogs
    That's a good point. I haven't heard the HSU, so I can't speak to it, but I know they are generally well respected. I generally don't poke into HT threads, but given the price point on the black friday sales with SVS, I figured it was worth tossing into the mix.

Hey it’s a good suggestion and it’s great to have options and know what’s available!
    HT Rig:
    ;
    Master Bedroom
  • concealer404concealer404 Posts: 7,461
    $1k also gets you two PB1000s.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
    edited October 17
    $1k also gets you two PB1000s.
    This is especially where I feel it's worth waiting for the Black Friday sales. The NSD series would fall between the current PB1000 and PB2000 models. 12 Woofer and 100 more watts RMS vs the current PB1000.

Maybe they won't have it this year, who knows. But the HSU and PB1000 will still be around on/after Black Friday if they don't.
    Discogs
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,128
    umm hmm wait, This is a VTF3-MK5 were talking about.

I have one and oh yes it is a darn good sub and for $900 to the door hard to beat. Great thing is the flexible ports. If I'm going to seriously listen I just plug them in 30 seconds. Movies both ports open and I shake the neighbors dishes. Even with 2 ports open I find the VTF3 very good for both music and movies.

Comparing a VTF3-MK5 to a PB1000 or two is not even close. I have a friend who has a PB13 Ultra. While the PB13 in all ways crushes the VTF3 he wishes he would have went dual VTF3 than one Ultra.

I have spent time with a PB2000 the VTF3 is the better of the two.

Dual PB12NSD or a single VTF3 oh that is a close one.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music