The Greatest

DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,221
On October 10, my grandmother, one of the greatest women I've known, passed away.
Greatness is not a unique quality. It is not guaranteed to be relative or absolute. It can be determined by historic ideologies, current trends, or simply by comparison. It holds different meanings of varying degrees for different people. Sometimes though, greatness cannot be denied.

She was not great because she was my grandmother. That was great for me, but had no merit on who she was.

She was not great because I loved her. Loving someone does not add relevance to a person’s character.

She was great because that was all she could be.

When she spoke, she spoke from the heart. When she listened, she did not cast judgment, but expressed her own views on the matters.

When she met someone new, they instantly became family. A first name basis was not necessary as many didn’t even know her legal name. Her door was always open and food always ready to be served with a moment’s notice.

When she did something, she did it because she wanted to do it. However, all she wanted to do was share her love with any who would have it.

When she faced adversity, she stood strong as the true matriarch of our family. She never showed favoritism. She never gave up on others when they struggled. She always lent a hand to those who needed it, even if she needed it more.

When she faced death, she asked for forgiveness for what little ill she had done in life. With great humility, she admitted to God that she does not feel worthy to be in his presence.

My memories are not grand stories though there are plenty. They are not of great trips or special events. They are simple memories like sharing a couch and blanket with her as a 4 year old or being greeted with a warm hug before getting through the front door, or seeing the joy in here eyes as she played with my children. All of my memories revolve around her unquestionable and unconditional love.

Her love and humility resemble what is best in human nature. She was and always will be the essence of greatness.

I sat down to write this on December 9, 2015. For our family, it was our time to say goodbye to Nanny. She was in pain and ready to make that passage. It was a painful night, but nothing compared to the following day. The next morning, my first wife Stephanie passed away.

I remember calling my Dad to tell him the news. I remember taking care of what needed to be taken care of for my immediate family. Then, I remember my dad telling me that Nanny was no longer willing to make that passage.

For almost four more years, Nanny shared her life with us so we could share ours with her. She suffered longer so we wouldn’t have to suffer as much. In the face of death and an eternal life in Heaven, she CHOSE to spend this time with us to make OUR lives easier. If that doesn’t’ exemplify greatness, I’m not sure what does.

She was great. And we are all better off for having known her.

Comments

• pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,763
    Skip, very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your beautiful tribute to unquestionably a very special and beautiful human being. Her spirit and love shine through every one of your words and will remain in your (and your family's) heart forever.
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 3,494
    Sorry for your loss.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,341
    Skip- So sorry for your loss. That it an awesome tribute written for your grandmother. She definitely left a lasting legacy with you. I lost my grandmother 13 years ago and I still think of her every day. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time.
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 468
    edited October 16
    Thanks for sharing Skip, and deeply sorry for the loss. She was clearly a great woman. It's obvious by what you're written that she taught you lessons the will guide your daily life. I wish the best for you and the rest of the family!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,248
    Thank you for sharing your tribute, and may she rest in peace.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,642
    Sorry to hear this Skip, my condolences pal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • MilitoMilito Posts: 631
    Very nice tribute to your Grandmother, Skip. Very sorry for your loss. R.I.P.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, B&K 4420 Reference, HSU VTF-2 MK5, LSiM705, LSiM704, Technics PD867, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Cullen Gold Power Cable, Signal Power Cables, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Audio-Technica AT-LP60, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios.
  • polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,419
    Bless her for staying with you during your time of sadness. I can't imagine a more
    selfless act from any one person than that. May she rest in peace now.

Harry
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,448
    So sorry Skip
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • dkfreebirddkfreebird Posts: 1,106
    Sorry for your loss Skip. Prayers sent for you and your family.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Fully modded with dreadnought
    Rogue Atlas Magnum
    Rogue Magnum 66
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Marantz UD 7007
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers
    Home theater
    Marantz SR 5009 Sunfire Signature 425x5-B&W Cdm1nt Cdm Center Channel
    Backups Polk Monitor 5 peerless,2.3tl,SRS2 pin/blade,Polk Crs+ pin/blade with stands.McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,584
    Well written Skip!

naadjcdjhefc.png
    2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,511
    DSkip wrote: »
    She IS great. And we are all better off for having known her.

Fixed... she is with you now and always my friend. May God bless you and your family now and always.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,503
    Sorry for your loss Skip & family
    Randy / Maine
    SDA-CRS+ 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Stands w/Polk Logo & Spiked nicely
    RTA15TL 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Gloss tops shine. Spiked nicely
    Cs1000p-Yamaha-Parasound-Acurus
    MIT speaker cables-Pangea powercords
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,221
    edited October 16
    Thanks gents.
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Bless her for staying with you during your time of sadness. I can't imagine a more
    selfless act from any one person than that. May she rest in peace now.

Harry

I debated sharing because I don’t really need or desire condolences. This singular act is really what I wanted to share - the desire to live through your worst to relieve those around you. It’s such a remarkable and selfless act that it deserves mentioning.
  • verbverb Posts: 8,010
    Thanks for sharing Skip.

Not knowing her, but after reading your lovely tribute, my heart goes out, a bit of anguish yes, but mostly pride and joy realizing she was a great person here on earth, and is most certainly welcome through the gates of heaven.

Only meeting you briefly, she certainly did a wonderful job on her grandson. Take care brother, and be joyous!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,613
    Something bigger than all of us at work.
    Thank You God for being in her heart.
    Thank You for sharing Skip. Sorry for the family’s loss
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,534
    What a Remarkable person your Grandmother was, may she Rest In Peace..
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,734
    What an amazing lady Skip.
    Please accept my condolences and thanks for sharing.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,078
    Sorry skip
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,681
    Sorry D. May she rest in peace. Sounded like an amazing woman.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • DabutcherDabutcher Posts: 2,132
    Thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Mitsubishi rear projection 73, PS4, PSW505 , Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, RTi12, FXiA6, CSiA6, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05

“Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,470
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a amazing woman.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,070
    Lovely thing that you wrote for Grandma. Sorry for your loss.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,982
    May your grandmother now find rest near to the heart of God.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,838
    Skip you are very fortunate to have had her in your life.
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 610
    Great tribute, greater lady. The world needs more grandmothers like her.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,048
    Sorry to hear this Skip, great tribute indeed.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,137
    Wow! What a well written and heartfelt tribute. I bet you’re able to find comfort in your own words. Thoughts and prayers sent to you and your family.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • machonemachone Posts: 1,134
    Sorry for yor loss. You have great memories.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...SDA-1A (Fully Modded with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"