Anyone into amateur astronomy

Options
afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
edited October 2020 in The Clubhouse
I want to get a nice telescope for photography and looking for the next Death Star. If anyone knows about this stuff please share your insights. I am shopping for one and clearly the sky is the limit and there are so many choices that I believe would suit my needs that I am overwhelmed. I don't want any junk but I don't want to break the bank on such a silly hobby as saving all of humanity or at least telling all of humanity that we are all gonna die.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Growing up, I always wanted to be an astronomer. Took a lot of classes in high school and after (yes my junior college had a planetarium)!

But then, before the internet, I came to the realization that most professional astronomers are unemployed, working other jobs waiting for the government grant or philanthropist to finance the next project.

So I keep it as a hobby. In high school, I built my own Newtonian reflector (6” primary) and still have it to this day. I built a spotting scope from a surplus lens assembly out of a projector screen TV. And others through the years.

For light gathering ability, reflectors are much better than refractors, IMO.

My latest is an 11” Celestron Schmidt Cassegrain computer controlled telescope. Love it, but it’s heavy and hard to lug around.

For compactness, I would look along the Schmidt Cassegrain types. Meade is another good brand. 6” is easy enough to be portable. I have a 4” Meade SC and it’s great for taking out to the back yard without making things a huge ordeal. SC’s are nice cause everything is sealed, no dust or anything else collecting on the mirrors.

Of course, if size matters, you could go the Dobsonian route. Essentially a Newtonian, but you can get huge mirrors and they very easy to use, with no complication mount. Pretty much point and shoot.

@joecoulson is another astronomy hobbiest! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I think @mhardy6647 is as well to a lesser extent.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    Options
    butterbean wrote: »
    I have a meade 114 eq-ar that sits down my basement that I am looking to sell. Not sure if it is what your looking for.

I am looking for something miniaturized, rubberized, and motorized with computer and or gps controls. Thanks though.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @verb My high school had a planetarium! I wish I could buy a used planitarium then I wouldn't need a telescope.

That's a nice 11" you got there but that would be out of my price range. I would like to have something with all of those features but a little (lot) more portible be cause I want to take out to all of the geek meets in the desert. I only like to be around people in the dark out where now one can hear them... Uh, nevermind.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Questions for me to answer properly.

Do you live near a city with bright lights or out in the country?
    Do you want to have one that is GREAT at either planets or deep sky or one that’s good at both ?
    What’s your budget?
  • afterburnt
    edited October 2019
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Questions for me to answer properly.

Do you live near a city with bright lights or out in the country?
    Do you want to have one that is GREAT at either planets or deep sky or one that’s good at both ?
    What’s your budget?

I will be using this when I go to Prescott AZ. A small town sort of with not near the light pollution of Satan Clarita CA. It is a mile high so that helps too. I do plan on taking it way out in the desert where there are no lights and no one can hear me scream.

I would like it to do both but I kind of lean towards the planets, In my religion I pray to Jupiter.

I don't think I should go more than 1.5K but since I will be spending the rest of my life doing nothing but staring into space maybe could spend a little more?

Post edited by afterburnt on
  • verb
    Options
    15 hundie gets you a great pre-owned one. Most of the used ones are hardly ever used, like mine! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    15 hundie gets you a great pre-owned one. Most of the used ones are hardly ever used, like mine! :smile:

Sold! But you gotta pay the shipping, ok?
  • verb
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I was looking on CL locally, 8” Celestron SC for 850! Or a 12” Dobsonian for 6 hundie! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Similar. This guy I believe has better quality optics, and an equatorial mount
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/for/d/troy-celestron-8-schmidt-cassegrain/6993865144.html
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,937
    Options
    If you want to really help the guy out @verb, maybe see what’s available on SoCal craigslist. Don’t know if he’s in Santa Clarita (L.A. ... almost) or Chula Vista (south of San Diego).
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    "Satan Clarita. ****. I'm still only in Satan Clarita. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in Arizona. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into Arizona. I'm here a week now, waiting for a mission, getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter."
  • verb
    Options
    Of course! Just trying to get an idea of what’s out there. Baby steps my man! Where do you live @afterburnt ?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Similar. This guy I believe has better quality optics, and an equatorial mount
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/for/d/troy-celestron-8-schmidt-cassegrain/6993865144.html

So I am gonna need a mortorized equatorial mount, no?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    So if you want to set and forget, and not have to learn too much about the sky, an SCT is the way to go. Celestron makes great 6 And 8” versions that are very transportable. Most will come with GOTO mounts.

If you plan on imaging, set at least half that budget for a good ZWO imager.

I like to view more than shoot so a lot of my budget is spent on eyepieces. They can make or break a scope.

Dobsonians are fantastic to see deep sky objects (DSO’s ) but are rather larger (for a decent one) and not very transportable. And most do not come with GOTO (or motorized) mounts.

Lastly, make sure you plan for power, if you have a motorized mount, make sure you either have a plug-in available or a battery pack that will last your viewing session.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a dob used, I would really make sure you know who your buying from for an SCT (Schmidt Cassegrain Telecope) as they can get banged around and screwed up past the point of fix ability.

Good luck! Hope you don’t fall down the rabbit hole like me:

e4c0ag5csdbg.jpeg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Every time I see "amature", I want to kill everyone. >:)
  • Kex
    Options
    Amateur, not armature or armament @Viking64
    Alea jacta est!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Sorry, I meant to say mature astronomy.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    So if you want to set and forget, and not have to learn too much about the sky, an SCT is the way to go. Celestron makes great 6 And 8” versions that are very transportable. Most will come with GOTO mounts.

If you plan on imaging, set at least half that budget for a good ZWO imager.

I like to view more than shoot so a lot of my budget is spent on eyepieces. They can make or break a scope.

Dobsonians are fantastic to see deep sky objects (DSO’s ) but are rather larger (for a decent one) and not very transportable. And most do not come with GOTO (or motorized) mounts.

Lastly, make sure you plan for power, if you have a motorized mount, make sure you either have a plug-in available or a battery pack that will last your viewing session.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a dob used, I would really make sure you know who your buying from for an SCT (Schmidt Cassegrain Telecope) as they can get banged around and screwed up past the point of fix ability.

Good luck! Hope you don’t fall down the rabbit hole like me:

e4c0ag5csdbg.jpeg

Wow that's a really nice rig! I would love to have one like that but I don't have a hitch on my car. I am guessing that one in the Amazon link that I posted would be pretty good for me.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Of course! Just trying to get an idea of what’s out there. Baby steps my man! Where do you live @afterburnt ?

I really do suck wind and take up space in Santa Clarita CA. This will be to keep me out of trouble when I retire in AZ. In a few months or so.
  • afterburnt
    Options

Btw I feel your pain, same thing happens to me when anyone says "Niagra Falls". Have you tride placebo, it usually helps me?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited October 2019
    Options
    sometimes. 6 inch Newtonian reflector on a (manual) equatorial mount in the basement. Also most of a 10 inch Dobsonian (dump find) down there, too, come to think of it :p

Plus... a fast little Schmidt-Cassegrain that gets more use as a camera lens, truth be told -- but we do use it as a spotting scope in a pinch, and, occasionally, for more astral applications.

36593406491_80e5540951_b.jpgDSC_9428 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    36732875525_5fcf91b48e_b.jpgDSC_9459 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(how d'ya like that sophisticated DIY aperture to reduce the light coming into the 'scope's optics? :p )

I actually have more fun takin' long exposure, wide field photos of clear night skies on moonless nights, though, truth be told.

48621360131_ce8260c2d9_b.jpgDSC_6467 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• afterburnt
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Camera obscura or did you catch the moon?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Solar eclipse, summer of 2017.
    The moon we can do the ol' fashioned way...

21167742694_11c3bddcee_b.jpg027 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

21602423460_47dd6c808e_b.jpg106 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

21167795844_3543c99125_b.jpg131 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

21869977508_33ac7794e8_b.jpg030 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

From Sept. 2015
  • afterburnt
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

Sorry, I meant to say mature astronomy.

I used be into immature asstronomy but I only needed shoe mirrors for that
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Amateur, not armature or armament @Viking64

Using the "mention" feature is for kweerz.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @mhardy6647 this is how I observed the last eclipse dbkgif5qsfu3.jpg
  • Kex
    Options
    Using the "mention" feature is for kweerz.
    Actually, @Viking64, it earns one a badge. Also, I’m not homophobic, so the “kweerz” thing doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
    Alea jacta est!