Which subwoofer is better. SVS PB12 Plus 2 or HSU VTF-3 MK5

I'm looking at buying one or the other in the near future. It would be used almost exclusively for HT duty so I'm looking at the biggest bang for the buck. Who has experience with either sub and can share here to help me make my decision?

Comments

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,575
    Not sure if you have the extra $$, but my SB 16 Ultra is a beast for HT.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,722
    I should have added that I would be purchasing from the secondary market. :'(
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,960
    So I’ve only heard lesser offerings from both companies. All things being equal I think the slight edge goes to that SVS for HT: it looks like an absolute beast! But, the HSU is much newer and probably still under warranty, and that would make some difference to me. Also of course the price: what are you able to get these for if yoi don’t mind me asking?
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    I can get the SVS for $500 and the HSU for $550. Indeed the SVS is older and out of warranty so that is definitely something to consider.
    I mean this is bananas: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-pb12-plus-2/page-1

But i mean the HSU isn't far behind: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hsu-research-vtf-15h-mk2-and-vtf-3-mk5-hp-subwoofer-reviews-test-bench and https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/subwoofers/hsu-research-vtf-3-mk5-hp-powered-subwoofer-review/

How big is your room? If you could get the SVS down to 400-450 to take into consideration possible amp repair/replacement down the road I would be very tempted to go with that one.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,651
    edited October 10
    This is simply old school vs. the great capability of new school!

SVS > 2 x 12" drivers, 900 watts, 19"x26.5"x28", 165 lbs
    HSU > 1 x 12" driver, 600 watts, 25"x 17" x 21", 85 lbs

Both can do about 115 dB at 20Hz which is enough to knock stuff off the walls and cause your drywall seams to crack!

The old CraigSub rating gave the nod to the old VTF-3 MK3 over the SVS. The new one MK5 is a beast of a 12" for the money.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/768150-official-craigsub-rankings-thread.html

JL Audio Fathom 113: 103 points
    Velodyne DD-18: 100 points
    ACI Maestro: 97 points
    JL Audio Fathom 112: 95 points
    Hsu VTF-3 HO + Turbo: 94 points
    Hsu VTF-3 HO w/o Turbo: 92 points
    Hsu VTF-3 Mark III + Turbo: 92 points
    Hsu VTF-3 Mark III w/o Turbo: 91 points
    SVS PB12-Ultra: 90 points
    Axiom EP-500: 90 points
    Hsu VTF-2 Mark III + Turbo: 88 points
    SVS PB12-Plus/2: 87 points
    SVS PB12-NSD: 86 points
    Hsu VTF-2 Mark III w/o Turbo: 86 points
    Rocket UFW-12: 85 points (provisional)
    SVS PB10-NSD: 83 points
    Rocket X-Sub: 78 points
    Rocket Tyke: 60 points

Most days the dual 12's would be the way to go. But given the smaller size, BIG output, and newness... the HSU would be my choice.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    ^^ Thanks for the informative breakdown. I currently have a low end SVS sub which is better than the old Polk subs it replaced, but I want something better. You know how that goes.
    That list is 13 years old FYI.
    The new 16’s from SVS kick azz
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
    joecoulson wrote: »

He’s buying used Joe!
    HT Rig:
    ;
    Master Bedroom
  • Inspector 24Inspector 24 Posts: 1,223
    I don’t think you could go wrong with either sub. I’ve been impressed by both HSU and SVS. Although for nearly equal money and getting a warranty the HSU gets my nod, and generally speaking they seem to offer more bang for the buck where the SVS offers a little more high-quality build and refinement. As for which sounds better, that is subjective to your room. I believe HSU has a 30day trial.
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,651
    edited October 10
    God, if I could fit and afford two of those I would do it!

or four HSU ULS-15 MK2's

Back to reality....

... I got rid of my DIY Stereo Integrity HT15 with hopes of going dual. In the mean time I have an old 10" HSU VTF-2 MK1 that is impressive for what it is. I call it the little woof! The family keeps telling me that the little woof is fine...they want no parts of the BIG WOOF or WOOFS x 2. LOL!

I'm looking at either dual older Power Sound Audio ported 15's, or two DIY Stereo Integrity sealed 15's or two-three DIY ported HSU 12's.

The quest for bass never ends... my family will hate me and the Mrs. already threaten me if Her stuff falls off the walls, mantle, shelves, etc. from bass waves. :smiley: ;)

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,045

Betcha didn’t know you could get a brand new Rythmik in your price range with warranty, customer service, yada.
    Great company, great subs and peace of mind going new

L12 and LV12F for $559 & $599 respectively

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

SERVO Baby!
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Betcha didn’t know you could get a brand new Rythmik in your price range with warranty, customer service, yada.
    Great company, great subs and peace of mind going new

L12 and LV12F for $559 & $599 respectively

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

SERVO Baby!

For HT those don’t compete with the subs the OP is looking at...now for two channel, different story...maybe :p
    HT Rig:
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    If you can swing $650, SVS 2000 from the outlet
    If you can swing $650, SVS 2000 from the outlet

That's a nice sub, but can't touch the two he's looking at. It would take 3-4 of those to get the output of one SVS PB12 Plus 2!?!
    HT Rig:
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Where is that for $550??
    I’m sorry. I’m gettin two threads confused.
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,458
    I have an SVS PB12-Plus/2 which I upgraded to the 12.3 drivers. It's pretty good on music but really kicks **** for HT. I've owned it for so long I don't remember exactly when I got it (second owner) but it's well over a decade. I've never had a single problem with the amp & it gets used daily. For $500 & mostly HT duty, go get it! Where else are you going to get that kind of performance for the money?