Carver TFM 25

pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,715
edited September 16 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
This was my first amp I ever bought. I bought it from a local brick and mortar store who is still in business but no longer in business in my city. This was completely rebuilt in 06/2011 by Roland.
http://carveraudiorepair.com/hitechaudioltd/workmod.html

It has not been used 100 hours since the rebuild as I also had a TFM45 rebuilt at the same and used it (TFM45) from that point on. This TFM25 sat in my bedroom rig and I only used in while cleaning the room or putting clothes away. The last 5 years it has been boxed in a stack in my current bedroom.

I'm asking 350.00 firm plus shipping and insurance it will be double boxed for safety. If I know you then we can work something out for payment but other than that it must go through Paypal friends and family.
You must have 150 post and a member in good standing on the forum.
The rebuild and shipping both ways to and from Washington St. cost me far more than the asking price and it will have many years of life left. There is some of the silk screening on the face that has come off but all in all this is a very solid presentable amp. There are a couple of marks on top front where the preamp sat but you have to look close to see them.
I'll let the pictures do the talking.

4umst5wm962a.jpg
3z4bzai2zo6h.jpg
1ghv27ck83ty.jpg
zx024z3ce065.jpg
9jjpf6klb225.jpg
sr6ngbq3wzyi.jpg
l6atglcirbo6.jpg
lsfhtcg488zg.jpg
ien7xuas8xzi.jpg
driacky74yyh.jpg
n3fibc4d3z88.jpg
3g9rnbjs9tux.jpg

Post edited by pitdogg2 on

Comments

• daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,082
    The TFM 25 has always been an underrated amp. I’ve owned a couple, and they have solid power output and a nice sound. This looks like a very nice specimen, and qualified service to boot.

GLWTS!
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • I currently have two. One works and the other doesn't. Along with my TFM-45. Thanks for posting that link as I was trying to find those guys.
    Good luck with the sale!
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 1,246
    I love my 45. When I grew up my dad ran the TFM25 on his JBL L100T. Plenty of oomph for a large speaker. Great price too. Glwts
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,090
    Nice amp. Is it Blue?
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• verbverb Posts: 8,009
    I still have a TFM35X, in the box now, but it replaced the M1.0t that I gave to a buddy.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    I've noticed Carver seems to be a bad word around here. I love'em.

This is a great amp with some real power. Price is great for a recapped unit. I spent almost twice that to have my 45 done.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,715
    edited September 18
    CH46E wrote: »
    I've noticed Carver seems to be a bad word around here. I love'em.

I would not say that.
    This is a great amp with some real power. Price is great for a recapped unit. I spent almost twice that to have my 45 done.

I've been happy with both of mine. The TFM45 does cost more to recap as it is a very different beast than the TFM25. I felt it is time to move it as it has just been sitting in a box. Many here have been looking for a amp and this one would work well for many years for someone.
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,082
    The 45 (and 4.0 and 1.5, for that matter) are much cheaper to recap now. The kicker used to be the main filter caps, at $50-$75 each. Now we use an array on a daughter board - increased capacitance and lower ESR, and about 1/3 the price (photo below). The real headache with the 45 is the service bulletins - there are a ton of them.

5eerw3k0rf1y.jpeg
    crkqzw9xtfan.jpeg
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
    daddyjt wrote: »
    The 45 (and 4.0 and 1.5, for that matter) are much cheaper to recap now. The kicker used to be the main filter caps, at $50-$75 each. Now we use an array on a daughter board - increased capacitance and lower ESR, and about 1/3 the price (photo below). The real headache with the 45 is the service bulletins - there are a ton of them.

5eerw3k0rf1y.jpeg
    crkqzw9xtfan.jpeg

I'm pretty sure the new caps you have pictured there are what is in mine.
    edited September 18
    This is mine. z0t1950zavjm.jpg
    Also some of the cables were replaced with shielded mic cables. And all the bulletins done.

http://carvermk2.com/ was done here by Garska.
    edited September 18
    I hope we did not derail your FS thread. Or does it help to keep it on top of the threads?
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,501
    Bump
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,975
    I hope we did not derail your FS thread. Or does it help to keep it on top of the threads?

Imho as long as you are not thread crapping it’s great to have a FM item at the top of the new threads. Y’all are just discussing carver amps which I certainly don’t think is a problem but hey I am not the seller lol...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    edited September 19
    No problem here 👍
    It's a great amp and hard to beat for the money.

Let's try not to confuse them with talk of all other Carver amps too much. The TFM 45 slight derail was okay but lets get back to the TFM 25 which is for sale :D
  • lightman1 wrote: »
    You put the decimal in the wrong place Ivan.
    $35.00

Russ to quote the Great Maude Findlay "God will get you for that"
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 576
    Very nice amp. I never owned a Carver but lots of positive reviews. GLWS.
    krazypolk wrote: »
    Very nice amp. I never owned a Carver but lots of positive reviews. GLWS.

Well nothing like one that is fresh and reasonably priced ;)
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 576
    ^^^I agree, this should minimize the fear of buying older gear. Not meant to derail but would this amplifier be stout enough for larger speakers such as 1C's?
    krazypolk wrote: »
    ^^^I agree, this should minimize the fear of buying older gear. Not meant to derail but would this amplifier be stout enough for larger speakers such as 1C's?

Yes
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,090
    Solid amp and great seller here folks.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,887
    Very interested. This could be a good fit for the L200 demo.
    Saturday night bump
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,379
    Smoking good deal here folks. Rebuilt by Bob Carvers master rebuilder.
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,137
    I can't comment specifically on the 25, but the 45 and 55 are fantastic. Those are a couple that I wish I had held onto. Great sound and the coolest running amps I've ever run.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
    edited September 21
    Cool running for sure as well as the TFM 25. Much much cooler than my B&K, Parasound and NAD.
  • gentlejaxgentlejax Registered User Posts: 42
    I ran the TFM25 on my polk RTiA9s for a while and it did it well enough considering how much power they like. I only sold it to go up in power to a rebuilt m500t . if you have speakers that dont require 250-500rms this is one to get and the meters are cool.
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,516
    Is this still available?