Issue with Cambridge Audio 752BD universal BD player - Help!

Rick88Rick88 Posts: 13,187
First off, this will be somewhat lengthy so I can give as much info as possible. My apologies.

Recently I sold my Marantz SA-15S2 for financial reasons, forcing me to put my 752BD back into service as my primary disc player in my music setup. I had been using the Marantz for SACD/CD playback, and the Cambridge for DVD-Audio & Blu-Ray Audio discs. I purchased the Cambridge new in March 2016 and it had been flawless until recently.

I was using the 2 channel analog outs of the 752BD. After a couple of weeks and out of the blue, I started to hear some distortion in the high frequencies. Oddly it only happened with CD's, and even then it seemed to be hit or miss depending on the disc. It didn't happen with any of the several SACD's I tried. I checked the discs to be sure they were clean, and I also successfully verified it was not the discs by trying them in the living room in my Sony UBP-X800 4K player. My next thought was to clean the laser lens which I did, and it did not help. Next I swapped out the Blue Jeans Cable LC1 IC's for one of my other pairs of the same, with no luck. I even tried a different power cord, again the problem persisted. Oh, and finally I tried using the L&R out jacks of the 5.1 outs instead of the dedicated 2 channel outs with no difference. After all this, I assumed there must be an issue with the analog output stage of the player.

Next, I hooked it up to my Yamaha RX-A1060 AVR via HDMI so I wouldn't lose BD-Audio, DVD-Audio and SACD playback, and even though the Cambridge converts DSD to PCM it still sounds great. I played several discs of all flavors over the next week or so, and it was perfectly clean and clear. No problem with the HDMI outs.

A few days ago I decided to hook it up via coaxial connection with a Blue Jeans coax cable as well to see if CD's would sound better that way instead of through HDMI. I figured if they did I'd listen CD's through coax as that's the majority of optical discs I play, and all other discs through HDMI. Well, CD's did indeed sound better through the coax. I assumed it was likely because of the better quality cable. I played many CD's over the last few days this way and they sounded great, and I did not experience any distortion whatsoever.

Fast forward to this morning. On the 3rd or 4th CD I played, the distortion now started through coax where it did not exist before. WTF?? I then switched over to the HDMI connection, and no distortion. I decided to try an optical cable and yep, the distorion was there too. Back to HDMI and several discs later, no distortion.

For the heck of it, I disconnected the unit and pulled the lid off to look inside. I saw nothing out of the ordinary and it was clean. I blew it out with canned air and also while I had it opened up I cleaned the laser again, and put the top back on. I then hooked up back up, and as before the analog/coax/optical outs all were distorted, while the HDMI audio was clean.

For now I'll be forced to use the HDMI outs, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what the problem could be, and I'd appreciate any input from anybody with more knowledge on electronics than me. The thing that has me most puzzled is that the analog and digital outputs are on separate boards, and if it an issue with the power supply shouldn't the HDMI audio be distorted as well?

Thanks in advance for any advise!!
"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 10,155
    Rick my man! Paging up and down, several times, still compiling the data! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 13,187
    I forgot to mention that the issue first appeared when I was using a Parasound ZPre 3 that is now sold and don't laugh, a Crown amp.

I also tried different optical and coax inputs of the Yammie, as well as bringing in my Sony BD player in and hooking it up via it's coax connection to verify it's not the Yammie.

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

Will do, thanks!

DSkip wrote: »
    One last thought - are there any firmware updates to be made?

You know, I've never updated the firmware. I don't stream or anything and have never had any issues, so never gave it a thought.

edited August 2019
    This issue is driving me bonkers.

I just brought my Sony 4K BD player in again and hooked it up to the Yammie via both the HDMI and coaxial inputs and played parts of the discs that were causing distortion when played through the Cambridge. Clean and clear as a bell through both.

I also brought in my LG BD player from the bedrooom and did the same, no problemo.

I hooked the Cambridge back up and I am currently listening to Keb Mo's self titled album on SACD through HDMI, and it sounds great. I tried the analog, coax, & optical outs and the distortion was there. Oddly to me, it is worse with some discs than others.

It seems really odd to me that the analog & digital outs of the Cambridge are distorted while the HDMI is not. For now I'll listen to it through HDMI, but since the issue only just started through the coax out, I'm wondering if it's only a matter of time before the cancer spreads to the HDMI... :#

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,969
    Have you tried any sort of "factory reset" type of function, if available?
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,591
    Just a guess, but it seems like there may be an issue with the internal DAC section if HDMI is the only one not affected as it sends a digital signal straight out. That would drive me nuts too! But, I always found Cambridge products to be quirky and prone to weird behavior while otherwise performing great.

I would try a firmwae update first.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Have you tried any sort of "factory reset" type of function, if available?

I don't believe there is, but I'll check after I finish playing the Keb' Mo' disc.

edited August 2019
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Just a guess, but it seems like there may be an issue with the internal DAC section if HDMI is the only one not affected as it sends a digital signal straight out. That would drive me nuts too! But, I always found Cambridge products to be quirky and prone to weird behavior while otherwise performing great.

I would try a firmwae update first.

The thing is, the analog & digital outs have separate boards.

I did a quick search last evening, and it doesn't appear there is a firmware update available. That is one of the things I've heard about Cambridge, that they are not very good compared to other companies when it comes to updating firmware.

I know what you mean about their products being quirky. I've had issues with strangely behaving volume controls on 2 of their amps, as is well documented online. As much as I like their sound and build, I'll not be buying any more of them.

Factory default can be done through the Setup menu. May help since there is a computer inside doing the digital magic stuff.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
    OK, there is a factory reset option in the menu, gonna try it and see if it helps.

edited August 2019
    Another thing that p i s s e s me off is that the manual clearly states that the unit outputs DSD over HDMI without conversion, and that is NOT true. That's one of the reasons I purchased this unit, as all of the Yamaha AVRs I've owned are compatible with a pure DSD over HDMI signal. When I first got it I was like WTF, and did research online to verify that it does convert DSD to PCM through both HDMI and analog outs.

icbb0ffi3wg1.jpg

Well, well, well. Early indications are that the factory reset may have worked. I reconfigured it and played bits of the disc that was sounding the most distorted through the coax out and compared it to the HDMI out, and it now sounds the same. I'm going to go through a bunch more discs to test, as well as retry the analog outs. That would be fantastic if the issue is solved!

I'm also going to try to connect it to the internet and see if it is possible to update the firmware, but I doubt it'll be successful.

Update to come...

Yeah baby! Boom!
    Well, the firmware update attempt is a no-go. I do not have an ethernet connection, as the only source of internet is my cell phone. I also use it as a hotspot and it works great for the amount of time I spend online.

As for wirelessly connecting it to the internet, it says "wireless adapter not connected". Not sure what that is and I am sure that I don't have one.

I'll do more research to see if there is any update I can download and burn to a disc or transfer to a thumb drive, but I don't believe there is, and don't really care if the distortion issue is in fact resolved.

pas4hcfvhvpz.jpg

If the reboot fixed the issue I would only pursue the firmware update if the player is used for Blu Ray movies as well.
    Analog outs seem fine, and I'll keep testing it that way as it's my preferred method of connection. Fingers crossed...

Emlyn wrote: »
    If the reboot fixed the issue I would only pursue the firmware update if the player is used for Blu Ray movies as well.

Nope, I only use it in my dedicated music room 2.1 setup, playing SACD, CD, DVD-Audio, and Blu-Ray audio discs.

When I first got it for the first 2 years or so, I used it as my primary Blu-Ray and music player in my living room setup.

Since then, I moved last May and purchased a Sony UBP-X800 for 4K movies in my living room. And for the first time in my life I have a dedicated music room. I've always wanted one, and purposely searched for an apartment with an extra bedroom. B)

edited August 2019
    So far, so good. It appears the issue is resolved.

Much appreciation to those who replied and suggested the reset, and DSkip for reaching out to Cambridge on my behalf. If it was an AVR it would have been the first thing I would have thought of myself, but for some reason I never gave it a thought for a disc spinner.

Thanks for helping me keep my sanity, at least for now. :p
    Post edited by Rick88 on

• sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 446
    I think there should be a dongle you plug in to one of the USB ports to get WiFi just like on an Oppo? Might be mistaken.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65-Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Yamaha CX-A5100
    Amp: Parasound JC5, A31, A51
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB13 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Rocket 88, AQ Niagara, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR75X940D
    edited August 2019
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    I think there should be a dongle you plug in to one of the USB ports to get WiFi just like on an Oppo? Might be mistaken.

Perhaps, but if there is I didn't get one with mine.

Edit: There should have been one included with mine, per the manual. I'll have to get the box out to be sure it isn't still in there, just for the heck of it.

fbk3didm15xu.jpg

That stinks. I confirmed on the site it is supposed to have one:
    NETWORK
    Ethernet: 100BASE-T, Wi-fi: 802.11 b/g/n via supplied dongle
    Maybe someone on here has one you can borrow? If you end up needing it.
    The Oppo ones from the 105/103 might work?
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    That stinks. I confirmed on the site it is supposed to have one:
    NETWORK
    Ethernet: 100BASE-T, Wi-fi: 802.11 b/g/n via supplied dongle
    Maybe someone on here has one you can borrow? If you end up needing it.
    The Oppo ones from the 105/103 might work?

Thanks, but I'm not really worried about it since the distortion issue appears to be resolved. Plus, I don't believe there is an update to be had anyway.

Very happy to hear you are back in business, Rick. Time to kick back and enjoy some SACDs.
    Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... :D

d7sowpfhy9ip.jpg

I love it when I find stuff like that! At least now you know you have it.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
    edited August 2019
    I love it when I find stuff like that! At least now you know you have it.

When I by new gear, often times some of the accessories I will never use stay in the box and fogotten forever. This usually includes generic power cords, IC's, Bluetooth antennas, 3.5 mm cables, and now Wi-Fi dongles.

BTW, I think dongles is a funny word and I chuckle inside every time I hear/read it. :p

Clipdat wrote: »
    Very happy to hear you are back in business, Rick. Time to kick back and enjoy some SACDs.

For sure, that's the plan!

While I bothers me a bit that it converts DSD to PCM, I've done comparisons in the past and honestly I don't think I could really hear a difference. There is a lot of debate on this topic online and I've read quite a bit of it.

When playing SACD's through HDMI my Yamaha shows the same sampling frequency (88.1khz) with PCM as it does with a pure DSD signal. Regardless, the Cambridge is a very good sounding unit in it's own right, though it's not quite in the league the Marantz SA-15S2 was/is.

Is the SACD output menu item set to DSD:
    4. SACD Output
    To select audio output format for SACD. The options are:
    PCM – SACD Direct Stream Digital (DSD) data is decoded by the player and converted into multi-channel, high resolution PCM data. The HDMI output can be sent to an external AV receiver capable of receiving multi channel PCM (HDMI 1.1 or higher inputs are required). The 752BD’s own audio outputs are also active and playback of SACD material is possible by the 752BD itself.
    DSD – SACD DSD data is output over HDMI without any conversion. For decoding by an external AV receiver capable of receiving DSD (HDMI 1.2a or higher inputs are required and the receiver must actually include support for DSD as it is not a mandatory requirement of the HDMI spec).
    2 Channel

Home Theater
    edited August 2019
    Yes it is. I don't know why they even offer DSD as an option in the menu, because when you select it you get no sound. Talk about misleading!

Post edited by Rick88 on