any electronical reason ?

Hello everyone,,
As I posted in the sub woofer area my my Sony ES-2000 pre/amp processor has a port for sub woofer. I used the Sony before but never thought about using the sub. As I already posted I used a Y-splitter to get the sub into both my Yamaha RX-665 AVR and now into the Sony pre. This worked wonderfully w/ what sources I played and works well for the 2chl.i-pod, t.v.and i-net radio. Now I just tried this out on the Phono source for my LPs and it's exceedingly loud to where it's shaking my lamp table were the sub sits under. Is there a reason why only the phono source would be so much louder to where I have hit the off sub button and just use the 2Bs alone ?

Comments

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 2,470
    Phono bumps up the voltage to make up for how quiet the cartridge is by nature.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,053
    edited August 3
    As @codycatalist's post above implies, the output of a given phono cartridge and the gain of the preamp or receiver's phono preamplifier/EQ will determine how loud the phono playback level is (relative to standard "line level" audio sources like a DAC, CD player, tape deck, or tuner). If the cartridge has a particularly high output signal and/or if the output of the phono preamp/EQ section is particularly high, the phono playback may be 'louder than average' compared to other inputs. Usually, though, the opposite is the case :p

If I read the OP correctly, though (which is not a given :p ), the OP may be having problems with the insidious phenomenon known as acoustic feedback. Low frequency signals being amplified and played through a subwoofer can stimulate the natural resonance of the tonearm/cartridge/stylus cantilever suspension of a record player, thus producing (under the 'wrong' conditions) runaway acoustic feedback. The solution is often either to reduce the volume, reduce the bass, "filter" the ultra-low bass (may phono preamp/EQ have a built in "infrasonic" filter, either always on or switchable, for just this purpose) or improve the isolation of the record player from its environment.

Sometimes, the problem is caused by (or exacerbated by) a poor combination of tonearm mass and cartridge compliance. Just the wrong combination can put the system resonance in 'exactly' the wrong frequency range. The "ideal" choice of arm and cartridge will put the system resonance in the region of around 10-12 Hz (not so high as to be in the audible/music range, but no so low as to be overly-sensitive to footfalls).

I realize I am gettin' a bit 'into the weeds' relative to the thread topic, but this is the kind of stuff that can frustrate a turntable user unless he/she is aware of the issue (IMO). :)

https://www.ortofon.com/support/support-hifi/resonance-frequency