Played a CD tonight.

Hello everyone,,
I hooked my SACD player (Sony XA-5400ES) back up to my two channel system, after around a year or so of inactivity, and I am now playing a CD. How quaint, but it does sound good. I decided to return to my old procedure of playing a CD before ripping it, and then just ripping the songs I like versus the whole CD.

The biggest issue having the SACD player back in the rack is that it is black, and everything else is silver.

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,448
    Screw that ripping crap. It's for people with short attention spans.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,565
    F1nut wrote: »

Says the postaholic!😂😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,585
    I got yer quaint right here, buddy!

16151732006_0578ff65f3_h.jpgOtari MX5050 010215 3 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

B)

oh, and speakin' of ripping and SACDs...

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,151

Ha Ha!, agreed...
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,075
    Nice SACD player, that can also be upgraded: http://www.modwright.com/modifications/sony-xa5400es.php
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • TEAforONETEAforONE Posts: 100
    Rip? I can barely rip a piece of paper!
    First Watt,Monarchy Audio,Aric Audio,Promitheus Audio,Pro-Ject,Hornshoppe,Nola,HSU,Onkyo.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,054
    TEAforONE wrote: »

What’s paper?
  • VSAT88VSAT88 Posts: 709
    Jasondaro wrote: »
    Hello everyone,,
    I hooked my SACD player (Sony XA-5400ES) back up to my two channel system, after around a year or so of inactivity, and I am now playing a CD. How quaint, but it does sound good. I decided to return to my old procedure of playing a CD before ripping it, and then just ripping the songs I like versus the whole CD.

The biggest issue having the SACD player back in the rack is that it is black, and everything else is silver.

Welcome to Club Polk @Jasondaro !
    DSkip wrote: »

What’s paper?

A very poor attempt at humor. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    First Watt,Monarchy Audio,Aric Audio,Promitheus Audio,Pro-Ject,Hornshoppe,Nola,HSU,Onkyo.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,054

What’s paper?

Nope. Just a point that CD's are going the way of paper. Still useful, but no longer mainstream. They actually are quite similar when you look at their places in society today.

What’s paper?

Nope. Just a point that CD's are going the way of paper. Still useful, but no longer mainstream. They actually are quite similar when you look at their places in society today.

I get it. Very true as well.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,585

What’s paper?

16133093080_aaa1af2907_h.jpgNikon F 135mm chrome by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,770
    dromunds wrote: »
    Ironically, I read somewhere that our society uses more paper than ever....

That's because we ship so much junk...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,793
    Jasondaro wrote: »
    Hello everyone,,

I have that SACD player, and it was the TOTL at the time. It was also the last SACD player Sony made. Mine is still in my system, but I only use it to occasionally listen to a classical SACD. Now, I just RIP the CD, and I add the songs I like to a playlist. It has been a year or two since I have just listened to an entire CD. My stereo is warming up now for Friday night music, and I will listen non-stop for hours to my favorite songs.

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • machonemachone Posts: 1,120
    Around a year ago my ripped files (wave) did not sound as good as the same CD played on my SA8005. I got an external DAC, upgraded computers, software and power supplies. Now the ripped files rule.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...SDA-1A (Fully Modded with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
    machone wrote: »
    Around a year ago my ripped files (wave) did not sound as good as the same CD played on my SA8005. I got an external DAC, upgraded computers, software and power supplies. Now the ripped files rule.

No question. And no comparison once you get on to the Golden Ripping Recipe the files will rule.
    There are going to always be folks stuck on vinyl and that's cool too. Just nothkng that can compete with the quality of sound I have grown to appreciate and with the recent acquisition of a straight up World Class DAC/Streaming network player The music is like a slice of heaven with every minute this thing is running. Still..none of what I have put together would not have happened without the Cds and for a number of rare recordings not even available on CD vinyl came to the rescue (thanks to Big Mike) so it's all good!! 😀🎩

"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,241
    I almost cut my hair today.

At the risk of CD/vinyl vs download war...
    I have have LPs and CDs that will sound better than your rips.
    W/ the advent of HD downloads that is less true.
    All depends on the source. Thats why stuff goes for premiums
    and paper is generated.
  • dragon1952dragon1952 Posts: 4,687
    What does ripping have to do with attention span? Any idea how many hours I've spent ripping my CD's to disk? If anything it takes way less effort to stick with a CD player and just plop a CD in :^ /
    2 channel - PS Audio Stellar S300 amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5 running Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC24, Matrix X-SPDIF 2 USB interface, Blackbird SSD dock with 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO, Tom Tutay modded EE Minimax preamp, Furman Elite 15 Pfi power conditioner, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Kimber 4TC speaker wire, Gabriel Gold Reflection V2 IC's, VH Audio power cords, Wireworld USB and HDMI/I2S cables
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, Topping D10 DAC, Fostex PMO.4n monitors
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,124
    Anyone can rip a CD... Vinyl, on the other hand, is an art.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,560
    p0eomieaudiv.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    edited July 13

Funny guy😂😂have to agree to a point and lucky to have a great friend that does the vinyl to disk on rare occasion the album I want to add isn't available as I sure can't do it. On the other hand ripping in the correct format is not always happening for a lot of folks but not all gear is revealing anyway so good enough is what some settle for and all good there. And yes anyone can rip a CD. I set a straight up an assembly line when I get down and am now ripping 12 disks at a time with my short attention span and holding down a fort at the same time. Must be the oatmeal?? What do ya think Jess??😂😂😂

That makes absolutely no sense.

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,448
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    What does ripping have to do with attention span? Any idea how many hours I've spent ripping my CD's to disk? If anything it takes way less effort to stick with a CD player and just plop a CD in :^ /

My thought based on a lot of comments I've read is that people who have ripped music tend to bounce around from song to song/artist to artist instead of listening to an entire album from start to finish.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,560
    edited July 13
    BlueFox wrote: »

That makes absolutely no sense.

It actually does. A critical vinyl rig can take a lot work getting it right. Just like your system Bud, as a whole.

Vinyl source chain is a lot longer
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    edited July 13

My thought based on a lot of comments I've read is that people who have ripped music tend to bounce around from song to song/artist to artist instead of listening to an entire album from start to finish.

Ripping music is just so that you have the music on hard drive vs CD. It's still there in a folder hierarchy, Artist/Album/Songs. It does give you the option of random play through your entire library, which is a good thing IMO, since it is an option you don't get with a CD player. But it's basically just another way to store and playback music.

Click album and play.
    li5z6f2l191u.jpg
    2 channel - PS Audio Stellar S300 amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5 running Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC24, Matrix X-SPDIF 2 USB interface, Blackbird SSD dock with 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO, Tom Tutay modded EE Minimax preamp, Furman Elite 15 Pfi power conditioner, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Kimber 4TC speaker wire, Gabriel Gold Reflection V2 IC's, VH Audio power cords, Wireworld USB and HDMI/I2S cables

That is correct. I ripped two new CDs today, Hollywood Vampires ‘rise’, and The Black Keys ‘Let’s Rock’. I am listening to them now to find the decent songs to add to my Rock playlist. It is a very, very rare album that is worth listening to the entire album.

sq1nkyan6gae.png

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    BlueFox wrote: »

That is correct. I ripped two new CDs today, Hollywood Vampires ‘rise’, and The Black Keys ‘Let’s Rock’. I am listening to them now to find the decent songs to add to my Rock playlist. It is a very, very rare album that is worth listening to the entire album.

Huh?!?! You must have some pretty **** albums then :^ / I don't have a million but out of the 400+ I do have I couldn't say there is one that I wouldn't listen to in it's entirety.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,347
    I rarely listen to an ablbum from to back UNLESS it’s on vinyl. Then I at least listen to the whole side.
    I like having options. Like with or without Texas Pete hot sauce. Options.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - PS Audio SGC - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61