Daddy's rig

DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,666
What system do you remember your Dad blasting when you were a tot? For me, It was an all Sansui system:

S-1117 speakers

7149f8d6bab94a2a54a03fbd4416246d.jpeg?impolicy=img_600

Sansui components I don't recall as much, but I do remember a graphic EQ like the one below. I always loved playing with the different colors.

maxresdefault.jpg

I remember my grandfather's system much more, but mainly because it was in place until I became engrossed in the hobby. His system was the Realistic Mach One's with Realistic Tape Player and the STA-2100

1492435-realistic-sta-2100-stereo-receiver-super-power.jpg

zksx5gvwwyr6uqsul64n.jpg
audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
Cabling: Wireworld
TV: Sony XBR-75X940C

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,555
    What I remember as a kid. My father had a tube amp he built, a turntable he built and AR3 speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,292
    I remember solid wood Curtis Mathis speakers, and and old Fisher headend
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 478
    My father had a fiddle and he called square dances.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,134
    My father had a fiddle and he called square dances.

GRAB your partner, SWING her round till her feet are off the ground...…..
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 734
    The first system I can remember was a Fisher 500 with AR3a's.

Then he moved to a Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 with Bose 901's.

Then he had the Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 with the SDA-SRS until he moved to Denon components along with a Nakamichi ZX7, Dragon and a Technics SL-1200MK2. He still has some of this equipment (ZX7, SL-1200) and has had it refurbished.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, 2 REL Carbon Limited, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 2,274
    My pops was in prison when I was a kid ha. I do remember car stereos galore when riding around with my mom. Besides that no stereos to be had.

I barely remember my grandfather on my dad's side (he passed away when I was young) but I am told he designed and put together his own solid state amplifiers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    My family had one of those stereo receivers that had the turntable on top you could stack like 6 records it was NONhifi. It used the 24 gauge speaker cable that had RCA ends. Dad ran them with extensions like 50' on that TINY TINY wire.....
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,812
    Pop's (RIP) had this Marantz system that was ok. he wouldn't let us play it or we got the belt. The few times I did take the chance it sounded good. Nothing like what I have now.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    4 Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,187
    edited May 13
    Some GE solid state console. It had a record changer you could stack 6 records on. When I was young I liked to play with the bass boost to see how much I could make the walls vibrate. It was not hifi, but I did spin KISS Destroyer on it. LOL.
  • corticocortico Posts: 557
    edited May 13
    My parents had an 80’s black face pioneer integrated with separate turntable, small Pioneer speakers. I can’t tell the model, but I remember it sounded pretty sh-it-ty compared the my Uncle’s Silver face Technics, it was monstrous to my kid eyes, most likely a TOTL model, maybe SA800 or even SA1000, the uncle was the cool guy!

Huge vinyl collection and a decent stack of Playboy mags hidden inside the cabinet under the rig... haha! Good stuff... I flipped through it all!

My grandmother had an Onkyo tuner with built in turntable maybe early 70s, sounded pretty cool, we still have and it works!!
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,167
    indyhawg wrote: »
    ...It was not hifi, but I did spin KISS Destroyer on it. LOL.

Turn that NOISE OFF!!! Don't make me take my belt off...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,864
    edited May 13
    indyhawg wrote: »
    ...It was not hifi, but I did spin KISS Destroyer on it. LOL.

Turn that NOISE OFF!!! Don't make me take my belt off...

Oh, man, my mom scratched the needle all the way across a friend's KISS album one day when she came home from the grocery. Walked in and we were jamming on the pops Sylvania tube console. Dam parents!
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,954
    My parents had a relative of this bad boy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-New-Vista-Victrola-Console-Stereo/264321796480?hash=item3d8ace8980:g:dFQAAOSwE0hc0OFn

Not a lot of music played on it that I recall, but for some reason I do remember them listening to Charlie Rich, Barry Manilow, and Linda Ronstadt.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
    That is cool. Many of my relatives had similar stuff like.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,878
    My father loved music, but the stereo was some Sears tube console. This was in the 60s.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,220
    Parents had some Zenith console. Definitely not hi-fi. I actually don't ever remember my father listening to music. Used occasionally by my mom. Mostly it was used to hold pictures & other knick-knacks.
  • GospelTruthGospelTruth Posts: 355
    This thread made me wonder if I could even find a picture of my dad's Sears console stereo that we had in the house growing up. Found it!

It only played records and the radio. As a little kid, I used to be transfixed watching the records play around and around. When the record was close to ending, I would watch it put another record down. I remember my dad stacking the records for a "long play" session. Other times, he would have on some massive 70's headphones and be singing to the music while all we heard was his voice. Good memories.

7f9a3cnudbpp.jpg

Yes, this is the exact one our family had. The only thing I hated about it was when my mom would have us all help with the cleaning chores on Saturday morning and I would have to dust that thing. All those slats was time consuming. I hated that. But, I learned about cleaning and keep all my gear as dust free as possible now as a result. :)
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,666
    pglbook wrote: »
    My father passed away 2 years ago at 93 years old (born 1924). I remember he had a Fisher tube amp and KLH speakers (from the 1950s I believe; don't know which models). The speakers are still around and I am hoping to get them once the estate is settled. I'd also love to get the amp as well but am not sure if it is still at the family house. My siblings and I (family of 7) all thought his Fisher/KLH system was antiquated (little did we know) so, around 1980, we all chipped in and bought him a a new system as a surprise birthday gift: Yamaha CR 2040 receiver, Polk Monitor 10s, Yamaha tt, Nakamachi dual tape deck. He loved it. And that is how my love of Polks started (I bought myself Polk Monitor 5s two years later - I could not afford the M10s - from savings from my paper route). My father idolized Frank Sinatra ( to the point of almost playing nothing else, ha) and I fondly recall him sitting in the den, reading a book (always reading), smoking a cigar, and listening to ol' blue eyes on his system. RIP pops!

Awesome story. I remember my grandfather always blaring his when he took showers and my dads system playing when we had company over.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Geoff4rfcGeoff4rfc Posts: 1,661
    We had nothing fancy, a cabinet console much like GospelTruth's pic. Now my Great Grandpa had the 'ol side crank handle Victrola. We'd spin albums that were like a 1/4" thick. That, and growing up on my parents music, Tom Jones, Glen Campbell, Englebert Humperdink, Elvis Presley.....ahhh the good 'ol days!!
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

H.T.
    SPEAKERS: RTiA9 x 4, CSiA6, FXiA6 x 4 AVR: Integra DTR-70.4 AMPS: Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-2 SUBS: Epik Empire x 2

SOURCE: Oppo 103 CABLES: nuthin fancy, some bought, some homemade but all are double and triple shielded

2CH
    SPEAKERS: LSiM703 PRE Onkyo TX-NR 807 AMP XPA-2 SOURCE ERC-3 INTERCONNECTS Furez FZ162AA analog cable with R10BCS silver RCA's

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is
  • halohalo Posts: 4,988
    edited May 14
    I sold this Panasonic SA-6400X Quadraphonic receiver on ebay a few years ago for my dad (this was his receiver and the accompanying hardware that went with it, including a quadraphonic record cartridge):
    17187205222_03afa26651_k.jpg
    He had a pair of Jensen speakers and a pair of speakers that he made himself.
    This is one of his speakers (this is many years later after the blue foam on the OE woofer had rotted away, he replaced the driver with a driver from Radio Shack).
    inlf62nukoey.jpg

Here's a pic from the interweb of what the OE woofer looked like:
    jensen%2Bmodel%2B23-2.jpg
    Speakers with the grills on:
    jensen%2Bmodel%2B23.jpg

Here are the specs on the speakers:

Specifications:
    Power Minimum/Maximum: 10 watts / 60 watts
    Woofer: 8" Flexair
    Tweeter: 1-1/2" dome
    Frequency Range: 27 - 25,000 Hz
    Impedance: 8 Ω nominal
    Crossover: 1000 Hz
    Dispersion: 180°
    Tweeter Control: Front-mounted
    Connections: Kwik-on® push-type binding posts
    Cabinet: walnut-grained vinyl veneer on wood products
    Dimensions (H x W x D): 24 x 13 x 12 inches
    Weight (shipping): 40 lbs

Many evenings, after getting home from work, he would have a drink and chill out with the music. My mother told us to leave him alone or, we could join him but, we had to be quiet :)
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,167
    My boy will have some stories to tell about my rig. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,989
    My boy will have some stories to tell about my rig. :p

Family forum......what is wrong with you!?
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Reduction & Crack w/Speedball
  • minerminer Posts: 1,186
    Nothing but a 1960's era Zenith console that played Benny G., swing music, Tommie Dorsey, Sachmo, etc. I miss hearing those sounds.
    [
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,806
    My parents did not have a stereo. They had the smaller 9V portable radios and a cassette recorder.... The small one that took 4C batteries without a radio on it. I was the 1st one in the house to get one. My first actual real stereo according to my parents was when I was 6. They used to get me the kids type record players and I wore them out within a few months from playing them so much. So after a few years, it was cheaper for them to get me something that would last vs buying it over and over and over again. I think it was a realistic sta-46 or something like that and a technics turntable.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,
    USB helper: w4s Recovery
    Living Room: Teac AI-3000,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11
    Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• voltzvoltz Posts: 5,146
    Back in the 60's growing up my Dad had a big old console with a TT and radio inside. have no idea what brand it was.

When I became a TG&Y stock boy I upgrade to a Sound Design :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,929
    I'm a first generation audio-nut.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i | Preamp/DAC: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable Analog 2 XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,242
    naer5vii1vi5.jpg

This is identical to what my old man had when I was a kid. Along with his stories of being in both WW1 & WWII he would spin old Harry James, Tommy Dorsey and Al Hirt records.

Never imagined I'd own any real stereo gear way back then and still had Zero ideas of owning real stereo gear throughout all the years after that... before joining this forum. Darn you guys😂😂🎩

I mean to say.. Thank you guys!!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,292
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I'm a first generation audio-nut.

#me too

Music has always been in the family, but not by any means what I think and feel about the production
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC