2 MM2124's and POLK MOMO AMPS

SVT Pimpin
SVT Pimpin Posts: 12
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey all -

I already have two MM2124 subs that are awaiting a new amp(s).

Because of my job i am able to get the polk momo lineup of amps for a consderable saving off of retail.

I want to know what you polk experts out there would suggest.

In addition to the momo's i have infinity kappa components in the interior of my SVT contour, should i use the c400.1 4 channel polk amp for these or save myself a few bucks and buy the alpine V-Power 4 channel?

The Kappas are rated at 100w RMS and 300w PEAK

Thanks to all you guru's out there that i'm sure will be able to help
Post edited by SVT Pimpin on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    The Polk Carbon amps are supposed to be pretty good. The 75x4 will be a pretty good match for your kappas. The 75 is supposed to be underrated some, so they'll probably sound pretty good. As far as Polk amp vs. Alpine, I'm not sure how they compare. The V12 amps are crystal clear too, and well underrated also. Either one would be a great choice IMHO.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    it's been floating around that alpine's got some QC issues, i've never seen this myself but one never knows. the 400.4 is rated at 100 W/ch, but it probably gives more like 125. i personally love my 300.2.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    Well, the 100x4 is at 2 ohms, but I believe the kappas are 4ohm speakers.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    hmm...yes, that is a good point. however, they're components, so they should be running through a crossover. thus, bridging two channels of the 400.4 would... no, if you're using a set of components, you'd want a 2 channel - each channel runs to an xover, which goes to 2 speakers.

okay, let me get my numbers straight. the 300.2 will give you 150 x 2. the 400.4 will give you 200x2 or 75x4. this is all at 4 ohms. of these two choices, i'd say the 400.4, running at an underrated 75x4. this allows greater tuning flexibility, cause you can adjust the tweeters more easily, as well as changing the xover - in this configuration, the xover that came with the components is not used. my second chioce is the 300.2, giving an underrated 150x2 (mine puts out more like 180x2). this could be dangerous, assuming the whole component kit is 100 WRMS. if each speaker is 100 WRMS (not likely) then it could work okey, but a better choice in this case is again the 400.4 bridged.

damn... okay, all this crap says is yeah, the 400.4 is good :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs