So I went and made a thing

After a year of freelancing and developing something I think works well, I've officially launched my resume creation and consultation company.

If you know someone who would be interested in a high-quality, technically sound resume with a thoughtful design, I'd be grateful for your referral.

Thanks, friends!

midtownresumes.com

Comments

• dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,339
    Good luck on your endeavor! Will keep you in mind for future referrals.
  • teekay0007teekay0007 Posts: 2,068
    Good luck, JM! Hope it works out for you.
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,982
    FYI, you might need to tweak the html on the website. The page isn't resizing/adjusting to the user's resolution. The left side of the page is cut off. There is a scroll bar on the bottom of the page and I have it all the way to the left. I'm on my laptop now which has a smaller resolution than most desktops. If the info helps, my resolution is 1366x768, and the left side is cut off on both Firefox and MS Edge.

I'd just like to say the irony of me posting a "screenshot" is not lost on me.
    ey859w7s5plj.jpg
    2.0 - Marantz NA8005 | Polk LSiM703 | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | Sanus UF30 | OC703 Panels

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | OC703 Panels
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,148
    Having your own business is fun. You're lucky in that you shouldn't need much investment in product as you are purely serving your clients. The overhead of having products can be a PITA and honestly makes it hard to get any income out of the business.

I think you'll do fine. Give it a few years to get rolling and you should get a steady stream of clients.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • John MegadethJohn Megadeth Posts: 2,041
    Hermitism wrote: »
    FYI, you might need to tweak the html on the website. The page isn't resizing/adjusting to the user's resolution. The left side of the page is cut off. There is a scroll bar on the bottom of the page and I have it all the way to the left. I'm on my laptop now which has a smaller resolution than most desktops. If the info helps, my resolution is 1366x768, and the left side is cut off on both Firefox and MS Edge.

ey859w7s5plj.jpg

Weird! I've viewed it on a couple of different desktops and browsers (including mobile) and didn't see that, but I'll look into it. It's a Wix site (since web design is clearly something that's not on my resume).

Thanks for the heads-up!
    JM, if there is any other info you need from my computer to help figure out the issue, let me know!

2.0 - Marantz NA8005 | Polk LSiM703 | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | Sanus UF30 | OC703 Panels

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | OC703 Panels
    edited February 28
    DSkip wrote: »
    Having your own business is fun. You're lucky in that you shouldn't need much investment in product as you are purely serving your clients. The overhead of having products can be a PITA and honestly makes it hard to get any income out of the business.

I think you'll do fine. Give it a few years to get rolling and you should get a steady stream of clients.

Thanks. The lack of overhead is by design and works well. I've had 20 clients over the last year, only advertising locally through Facebook groups, Nextdoor, and Craigslist. My goal is to continue with that form of free advertising, but hopefully referrals will be the king.
    edited February 28
    Yep. I unfortunately have no way to operate without overhead. I've reduced it as much as possible but it is still there. Shows alone cost me over five figures each year.

Speaking of shows, have you considered going to job fairs and setting up a booth?
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    edited February 28
    DSkip wrote: »
    Speaking of shows, have you considered going to job fairs and setting up a booth?

I've not, as many (I assume) are during working hours and I've a full-time career. I have, however, thought about reaching out to local job recruiters and employment agencies. My thought is that if they could recommend a potential job seeker to me to craft a great resume for them, they'd be a more viable candidate (and thus granting the recruiter a commission). It's all conjecture, though, as I have no idea how they work. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

I've seen several held on Saturday mornings. I know some are done during the week, but I actually think more are on Saturdays due to people seeking new work who already have jobs. I could be wrong though.
    audiothesis.com/

ey859w7s5plj.jpg

Weird! I've viewed it on a couple of different desktops and browsers (including mobile) and didn't see that, but I'll look into it. It's a Wix site (since web design is clearly something that's not on my resume).

Thanks for the heads-up!

I noticed the issue when I got home. Thankfully it was an easy fix. Thanks again!
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,607
    I still see the Home Page cropped at the sides in Windows 10 and Chrome.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,987
    I'm still seeing a horizontal scroll bar as well.
    edited February 28
    I think the issue might be that the picture at the top of the page with the windows/view is 1712x808 which is larger than my screen resolution on my laptop, causing the scroll bar. As far as the text being cut off, not sure.

fe6yze2k6ppf.jpg

How about now?

av845xssmrgh.png
    4a4u7uuxy79y.jpg

edited February 28
    The company name is cut off, but the picture now fits.

edit: there is a tiny scroll bar, but it's not an issue.

The company name is cut off, but the picture now fits.

edit: there is a tiny scroll bar, but it's not an issue.

I still see it exactly as you do.
    Alright, this may work:

ua3hvehyar1x.png
    Love it! High-five!

c1kbcfoqkaeb.jpg

dat werx 4 mi 2.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,987
    All good in the midtown hood.
    a2402y5y7yz7.gif
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 18,628
    I will need your help soon...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,941
    I change light bulbs!!
    Thanks all for the kind words, feedback, and laughs.

I’ve had fun working on the 20 I’ve done over the last year. Heck—if I can do 30 this year (27 to go), then I’d feel like a success!
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,941
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I change light bulbs!!
    Do you hold the bulb while your crew drives the bucket truck in circles?

:D Nope.....I just wait for the Earth to do a few rotations.

Good looking site BTW, Mr. Megadeth. Best of luck with your endeavors....
    nbrowser wrote: »
    (*=I'm Canadian, we use the letter u in words like colour, labour and endevour...it's just us and them England people on the other side of the pond!)
    No, silly. It's French! Quebec and France and a bunch of islands scattered all over the world. :p