AXPONA 2018

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,888
    trav0810 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    I counted on one hand, the amount of rooms actually playing some upbeat tap your toes type of music. Those rooms, surprisingly had moderate gear on the front end running things for the most part. Ivan noted even the HSU room, wasn't playing anything with solid bass notes....you'd have thought otherwise, right ?

fixed it for ya Tony

Yes both times I was in there HSU was playing opera... Absolutely NO LOW end.

Really? When I was in there he played a few different songs of different types, and some of it had some good bottom end. He was running one of their cheaper Subs with the small speakers. I think he said the retail on the sub he was using was $499

Yep opera. Both times. I couldn't stomach the opera long enough to wait for another song.
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,350
    I counted on one hand, the amount of rooms actually playing some upbeat tap your toes type of music. Those rooms, surprisingly had moderate gear on the front end running things for the most part. Ivan noted even the HSU room, wasn't playing anything with solid bass notes....you'd have thought otherwise, right ?

fixed it for ya Tony

Really? When I was in there he played a few different songs of different types, and some of it had some good bottom end. He was running one of their cheaper Subs with the small speakers. I think he said the retail on the sub he was using was $499

Yep opera. Both times. I couldn't stomach the opera long enough to wait for another song.

Travis and I walked into a couple rooms playing opera, which led to a very quick exit.
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,248
    This is for you Tony. A little "Free Bird"

God! I think that guy was serious!!! :'(
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
    indyhawg wrote: »

fixed it for ya Tony

Travis and I walked into a couple rooms playing opera, which led to a very quick exit.

I really enjoyed the slow African Jungle music! Seriously, who enjoys listening to that?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,279
    edited April 2018
    I wonder what dictates the genre of music that gets played on the various setups in the rooms? Is some marketing high-up at the companies coming up with the playlists?

Sounds like some of these companies need to fire their brand ambassadors.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    lightman1 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I see there is some praise for the Sonner speakers and they use a ring radiator tweeter. The JMR speakers also use the ring radiator tweets. Many of my experiences with the ring radiator tweeters is sometimes they come off a little bit hot. That is one of the reasons I seem to fair and enjoy A soft on Twitter like in the dynaudios or speakers that you morel tweets

Any thoughts

I think the implementation is key Ron. The Sonners were anything but hot on top, or fatiguing in any way. Nice coherent sound, detailed but not harsh, nice tone and a great soundstage that imaged very well.

Double down with Tony. I heard those for while and can say they were smooth from bottom to top. Vocals hung in the air. Instruments were well blended and enough low end impact to keep your toes tapping.

Agree. These were very nice and definitely something to consider hearing.
    I actually believe I heard more classic rock than usual at these shows.
    I made two visits to the Odyssey room and both times Santana's Abraxas was playing on vinyl at a volume that was turned up slightly higher than the other rooms. In fact the second time, Klaus walked in turned the record over, said a few words, and walked out. B)
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,929
    edited April 2018
    All y’all **** got me jonesing for LSAF....

Where they let you crank it and play YOUR music!

I just can’t make it though damn it!!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,064
    Thorton wrote: »

That was pretty funny in the Vandy room when Tony said Freebird the guy said he is so past Freebird then Tony said I'm kidding Im kidding. The guy then put on some MJ as we exited the room. The Vandersteen's did sound pretty good. But my favorites were the Legacy's and the big Focal's.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,083
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Thorton wrote: »

That was pretty funny in the Vandy room when Tony said Freebird the guy said he is so past Freebird then Tony said I'm kidding Im kidding. The guy then put on some MJ as we exited the room. The Vandersteen's did sound pretty good. But my favorites were the Legacy's and the big Focal's.

Which big Focals were there?
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,064

The ones I liked were the Sopra 3 they sounded fantastic and if I had $20k to spend those would be the ones.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • verbverb Posts: 8,181
    Were there folks actually buying stuff? Dare I ask, was there a swap meet? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,107
    Yes. Dealers were making deals that Sunday's so they would not have to bring stuff home. The expo center had a ton for sale as well.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• verbverb Posts: 8,181
    That’s cool. Man I wish to have gone there. Next time!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,648
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    The ones I liked were the Sopra 3 they sounded fantastic and if I had $20k to spend those would be the ones.

That be them, stellar sound on MF gear. Literally twice the sound as their 10k offering. You could listen to these all day, for the rest of your life and never get fatigued or bored.

What I also liked about speakers like the Sopra's is they are not genre specific. Throw anything at them and you'll grin ear to ear. These would be end game speakers for the majority of us.

If I had to pigeon hole them, I'd say depth was a bit shallow but that was because they had them set up in a not so optimal way and a bit too close together. When I brought that up to one of the guys running the room, he told me the 10k speakers were in the optimal spot of the room because that was the product they wanted to push. Such is the dilemma at these types of shows, not everything gets prime attention in set up. They all work with limited space, and if your trying to display multiple products some get the short end of the stick.

I just don't see putting a speaker, as beautiful and gorgeous sounding like the Sopras on that short end of the stick. Even with the poor placement and setup, when they started playing the Sopras, a crowd quickly gathered. Their other speaker they wanted to showcase with the prime spot....you had to offer a free vacation to get a crowd around them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,929
    ^ @DSkip Their stuff looks interesting.... looking forward to your thoughts on it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    http://www.avsforum.com/axpona-2018-live-blog-recap/

Recap blog/post about the different rooms/vendors.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,282
    Yep. Its hard to get mentions in many places since my products aren't a household name... yet. With so many rooms and brands to report on, the guys who do in depth reviews usually focus on the brands that they know people will recognize.
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    erniejade wrote: »
    voagw7qfk9lk.jpg
    How did the new Performa Be speakers sound? The Perfoma3 is that dream speaker that maybe someday I might be able to obtain on the used market. I think these new ones went up in a price a bit. This was one of the rooms I wanted to listen too but I couldn't make it this year.

The Sonus faber staff really made visitors to their room feel comfortable and welcome. They were happy to provide performance details on the Aidas and associated electronics and they were very happy to play music requests that were available from a streaming service or requests from guests who brought their own digital music files, CDs, or vinyl records.
    I agree with you regarding the Quintessence Audio staff. Every year these guys bring several BIG $$$ systems. One might think they would be a little uptight...but not so with this group. Whatever you want to listen to they will play it.They played my some of my uptempo jazz, R&B, etc. redbook stuff like the Yellowjackets 'Like a River' album and Quincy Jones 'The Places You Find Love' track. I love to listen to this cut on different systems. I've been spinning that one as demo going back to 89', my SQ car audio days. One of the guys was familiar with the track and was really getting into it. Good folks there!...if I ever come into some major cash I might have to pay those guys a visit. LOL! The BIG Focals and Sonus Faber are something else in terms of sound and craftsmanship.

DSkip wrote: »
    Its always tough getting people to go into a room with products they don't recognize, but I found that once they MADE it into my room, about 80% sat down and listened for at least a song. Given the massive amount of rooms and limited time to see them, that can be interpreted as nothing but a successful show. Reviewers, attendees, dealers, and other vendors were extremely impressed.
    Man I took a day off on Friday to go but my weekend got so busy I missed it. Shame on me! anyway, I read some good feedback about your room on a DIY speaker group on Facebook:
    ...another highlight was the small Rosso Fiorentino towers for “only” $6900, they were voiced excellently and sounded better than speakers 20 times their price.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    I made two visits to the Odyssey room and both times Santana's Abraxas was playing on vinyl at a volume that was turned up slightly higher than the other rooms. In fact the second time, Klaus walked in turned the record over, said a few words, and walked out. B)

Did he have it completely dark?
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

That room has been dark with the disco ball before. I have to say I love the sound at least two or three times I've listened to his rooms.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,074
    verb wrote: »
    Man I wish to have gone there. Next time!

I'm holding you to that!!
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,696
    here's what one guy had to say about the revel room.

The Revel F228bes are incredible, the Revel room at AXPONA was one of the best, and it was a dead-simple chain - Auralic G2, Mark Levinson 585 Integrated, F228bes and they sounded better than rooms that cost several times as much.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables

Yeah, he had it dark.
    @DSkip thank you so much for the compliment! Also having a person sit down in room for a full song to some might not seem like a huge thing HOWEVER, when there is not enough time to see it all even with a 3 day pass, a full song is quite an accomplishment! I was walking out of rooms within 1 min if the sound didn't grab me off the bat on a LOT of rooms. At first I would try to give more time but, not being able to see the other stuff, I HAD to be picky or selective on what rooms I spent a full song in.

@WLDock 2 things. 1 Quintessence Audio used to be in Naperville and that is the next town from me. They moved over an hour from where I live but, when they were in Naperville, they were good people. They were the first time I heard Vandersteen actually.

The Performa was stunning! Angelo ( newrival) was in the room with me. He walked into the room blindly and didn't even know what speaker they were! He leaned over to me and asked what brand are we listening to. When I said the Revel Performa, he said no wonder why I liked them so much, I love Revel stuff! They had a wonderful sound. I stayed for 3 songs on this one.

Folks what skip says about http://starsoundtechnologies.com/ is legit. I heard the difference off the bat AND when Robert said it will take a week for it to settle in, I think Skip and I both thought, ya right. Why does a stand points or platform need time to settle in. Well, by the time Skip shut down Sunday, they did improve more. He was right on the $ with his statements and his products are legit.

edited April 2018
    marvda1 wrote: »
    here's what one guy had to say about the revel room.

The Revel F228bes are incredible, the Revel room at AXPONA was one of the best, and it was a dead-simple chain - Auralic G2, Mark Levinson 585 Integrated, F228bes and they sounded better than rooms that cost several times as much.
    The Performa was stunning! Angelo ( newrival) was in the room with me. He walked into the room blindly and didn't even know what speaker they were! He leaned over to me and asked what brand are we listening to. When I said the Revel Performa, he said no wonder why I liked them so much, I love Revel stuff! They had a wonderful sound. I stayed for 3 songs on this one.

Revel stuff sounds SO nice. I tell you the Perfoma3 F206 & F208 at $3.5K - $5K a set retail are about as high priced of a speaker I can hope to own off the used market. Right now I've seen the F206 at about $2600 so I'll still need a couple more years or so. That's my dream speaker...mated with a nice hybrid integrated.

With the F228Be doubling in price at $10K a pair, those are now in a new territory.... unobtainable for me but I hope to get a chance to listen. Maybe I'll check them out when one of the stores in the area gets them in.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    FAMILY ROOM