AXPONA 2018

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,615
    Though I was only there one day, there was much I didn't get to hear. Of what I did hear though, and keep in mind many of these rooms are not set up in the optimum way, The Sonners really impressed, played well bigger than their size would dictate and all the audiophile slang we express when describing sound was there too.

Also impressive was the Vandy 5's. These speakers where set up in a room roughly the same size as the million buck+ system a few doors down, had some Channel D gear hooked up to it, nothing super expensive. They filled the room just fine with some good sound, separation. Not the most pleasant to look at, but they could boogey with some of the best.

You also have to keep in mind, with our comments, and as you can see in the pics, most had an extreme amount of electronics hooked up to their speakers. Stuff not even Joey can afford. :)

Personally, it's been awhile since I've been to a show. Some of the things that turned me off came racing back and reminded me why I haven't graced many since.

People talking while your trying to listen was one, though not too bad at this show as for the most part many were respectful.

Choice of music. Yeah, I get the music played is to show off the intended product. But does everything have to be classical, slow jazz ? C'mon....start playing some upbeat jazz, stuff that makes you tap your toes, maybe even dare I say.....some rock ? The focus, from what I was hearing in the one day I was there, seemed to be vocals, and separation/imagining. All fine traits we chase, no doubt, but a speaker to me has to get up and boogey too. I have a feeling some of what I heard would fall apart given a different genre of music....and for the price tag of some of these speakers, one has to shake their heads.

The Focal room was a bit disappointing, as their 10k offering had what appeared to be a cheap plastic front that not only felt cheap, but looked like something from BestBuy. Plus they didn't even sound like a 10k speaker should. The Focal Big boys though, another story. Drool worthy in both looks and sound. Your talking 20k though, but in this instance, yeah.....you get twice the sound for twice the price, maybe even more so.

The Legacy room....also kinda disappointing. Guys running the show seemed less attentive to keeping the music playing and BS'ing than showcasing what their speakers are capable of. This is one speaker maker that I know for a fact, can get up and boogey....yet they were playing slow crap that was more to what background music would be. In layman's terms....elevator music. WTF ?

I counted on one hand, the amount of rooms actually playing some upbeat tap your toes type of music. Those rooms, surprisingly had moderate gear on the front end running things for the most part. Ivan noted even the SVS room, wasn't playing anything with solid bass notes....you'd have thought otherwise, right ?

Still it was enjoyable, educational, and I lost a 20 to Russ. It appears he's a master spitter....from the 6th floor down to unsuspecting drinks down on the 1st floor. Man has talent for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,717
    They had those Sonner set up at RMAF last year and it ended up being tied with two others as my favorite room, those speakers are legit
    Yep, definitely legit. I regret not making it to Salks room though. Been awhile since I had ears on them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,197
    Gunny will be at LSAF as well. I told him I had a dedicated room for his speakers and he wanted to come down and help. He has a passion for it and if you meet him it is obvious.

The new Legato series is very nice and now they finally have some towers I can push. For what it's worth, the stand mount with stands ($5500) is very impressive and gets you a lot of the Allegro Unum sound ($10,000).
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,610
    I see there is some praise for the Sonner speakers and they use a ring radiator tweeter. The JMR speakers also use the ring radiator tweets. Many of my experiences with the ring radiator tweeters is sometimes they come off a little bit hot. That is one of the reasons I seem to fair and enjoy A soft on Twitter like in the dynaudios or speakers that you morel tweets

Any thoughts
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,078
    Oh Wow...where to start? AXPONA 2018 was one of the best audio experiences of my life. It will take three separate threads to cover everything:

1. A thread on my overall experiences during the three-day show.

2. A thread on modifying my friend's SDA 1Cs while I was in the Chicago area. My friend is a nascent audiophile who attended AXPNONA 2018 with me for one day. He is now standing on the razor edge of the rabbit hole and dangerously leaning in to get a closer look. I was amazed both by the sonic transformation of his SDAs and by his transformation from stereo listener to audiophile.

3. A thread reviewing the Sonus faber Aida Mark IIs, which I spent 3.5 hours over three days listening to.

pdd7vwb7aowj.jpg
    Sonus faber's Aida exhibit at AXPONA 2018. They were driven by Audio Research Reference 750SE tube monoblock amplifiers ($66,000).

The Sonus faber Aidas ($130,000/pair) were the primary reason I wanted to attend AXPONA 2018. They were set up with two other components I am interested in: the dCS Vivaldi DAC ($36,000) and the Aurender W20 music server ($17,600). The Aidas exhibited amazing clarity and detail and were the most dynamic, most "live music" sounding speakers I have ever heard. They were less impressive with regard to sound stage size, image stability, and tactile sensation.

The Sonus faber staff really made visitors to their room feel comfortable and welcome. They were happy to provide performance details on the Aidas and associated electronics and they were very happy to play music requests that were available from a streaming service or requests from guests who brought their own digital music files, CDs, or vinyl records.

After listening to some other six figure speaker systems at the show, I attained a greater respect, and reverence, for my bespoke SDA SRS 1.2TLs.

More later.

DK

Good to hear about the Aida 2. Look forward to more comments.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    edited April 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I see there is some praise for the Sonner speakers and they use a ring radiator tweeter. The JMR speakers also use the ring radiator tweets. Many of my experiences with the ring radiator tweeters is sometimes they come off a little bit hot. That is one of the reasons I seem to fair and enjoy A soft on Twitter like in the dynaudios or speakers that you morel tweets

Any thoughts

I think the implementation is key Ron. The Sonners were anything but hot on top, or fatiguing in any way. Nice coherent sound, detailed but not harsh, nice tone and a great soundstage that imaged very well. Had nice depth to it too, great dynamics as well. Basically all the things we like to pigeon hole speakers about, were missing.

I won't say they were the best I heard at the show, but in their price class certainly a top contender. They put Focals 10k offering to shame in no uncertain terms.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,200
    edited April 2018
    How was this room? I love everything about their setup.

rch0fa4byolr.jpg

I keep thinking about it for some reason!
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,197
    I drove home after packing up last night due to the weather. Left at 9:30 and just got home at 11:30 this morning. I'll post more after I get some sleep.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,496
    tonyb wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Any thoughts

I think the implementation is key Ron. The Sonners were anything but hot on top, or fatiguing in any way. Nice coherent sound, detailed but not harsh, nice tone and a great soundstage that imaged very well.

Double down with Tony. I heard those for while and can say they were smooth from bottom to top. Vocals hung in the air. Instruments were well blended and enough low end impact to keep your toes tapping.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,610
    I counted on one hand, the amount of rooms actually playing some upbeat tap your toes type of music. Those rooms, surprisingly had moderate gear on the front end running things for the most part. Ivan noted even the HSU room, wasn't playing anything with solid bass notes....you'd have thought otherwise, right ?

fixed it for ya Tony

Yes both times I was in there HSU was playing opera... Absolutely NO LOW end.

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,072
    edited April 2018
    I talked with Gunny ( Sonner ) about the ring radiator tweeter well as the plate around the speakers themselves. They go hand in hand. I witnessed first hand when he took the plate off the front how the distinct L Center and R changed! They are meant to be on that speaker. I also like he makes different color plates to match your room!

To echo what Skip said, the man has a passion for all kinds of music and sound.

Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

@Clipdat They had a lot of bloom to them and sounded darn good! Solid bottom end, crisp, clean, 4k for the bookies. I did not get to hear the floor standers but, the bookies would fill most rooms by themselves.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Yeah I looked up their website, $4k for those, ouch!
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Clipdat wrote: »

rch0fa4byolr.jpg

can you say subsonic rumble? I only had a chance to hear the small speakers. I would of liked to hear the large floor standers. The woofers on those were doing crazy movements because of the subsonic rumble of the turntable.

While I am mentioning turntables. I was put off but the amount of BAD vinyl I got to hear on turntables all the way up to 150,000.00. Ticks,pops and just terrible recordings abounded. Steve and I walked out of one room and both just looked at each other and laughed at the noise we both heard. The MBL room I heard Michael Jacksons Billy Jean on both vinyl (terrible) and streamed from a file they had. That file just blew away that $150,000.00 table they played the vinyl on. the file had better dynamics much better clarity. Those large MBL were bi-amped and the MBL amps were 250watts @ 8 ohm with 35 amps of current. When they put the meat to those speakers there was not a bad spot in the room, it was like they just grew taller in everything. Most on the room stuck their fingers in their ears .... me I wanted him to go louder just to see what the amps and the speakers could go to....
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,679
    funny,
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    edited April 2018
    Wow, that's too bad. Poor woofers! Sounds like their phono pre needs a subsonic filter!

Also it sounds like in general they needed better expertise setting up their TTs for optimal playback. They should've flown out @nooshinjohn to assist. I hear his consulting rate is only $200/hr.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    can you say subsonic rumble? I only had a chance to hear the small speakers. I would of liked to hear the large floor standers. The woofers on those were doing crazy movements because of the subsonic rumble of the turntable.

While I am mentioning turntables. I was put off but the amount of BAD vinyl I got to hear on turntables all the way up to 150,000.00. Ticks,pops and just terrible recordings abounded. Steve and I walked out of one room and both just looked at each other and laughed at the noise we both heard. The MBL room I heard Michael Jacksons Billy Jean on both vinyl (terrible) and streamed from a file they had. That file just blew away that $150,000.00 table they played the vinyl on. the file had better dynamics much better clarity.

You also touched on another point I was curious about, the volume level of the various rooms. I was wondering if some rooms were blasting, and others were at more reasonable volumes. I have sensitive hearing and on top of that a nagging injury in my right ear that gets irritated by exposure to loud noises. I wonder how many rooms I would've been able to check out before I would need to take a break.
    Those large MBL were bi-amped and the MBL amps were 250watts @ 8 ohm with 35 amps of current. When they put the meat to those speakers there was not a bad spot in the room, it was like they just grew taller in everything. Most on the room stuck their fingers in their ears .... me I wanted him to go louder just to see what the amps and the speakers could go to....
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,679
    the prana room is in this video and there is a nice vti rack in one of the rooms, maybe you just ran across a bad lot.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    LOL, VTI can eat my ****. That rack looks like **** compared to the Solidsteel racks on display at the Legacy audio setups:

p90620f2bk1s.jpg

5ydak2cqeif3.jpg
    edited April 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

rch0fa4byolr.jpg

Actually pretty good, those bookies are larger than they appear. This was actually one room that was playing some decent music. In spite of the TT rumble Ivan brought up, you have to look past that as it's not the speakers fault setup wasn't stellar on the TT. The speakers themselves could certainly get up and boogey, and fill a large room also. Pretty good sound all around, not the best of show but you certainly wouldn't kick them to the curb. I saw some better potential with some better/different electronics though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    Yeah I heard in the above video that they were playing "Yello - La Habanera", so they get bonus points in my book! :)
    Actually pretty good, those bookies are larger than they appear. This was actually one room that was playing some decent music. In spite of the TT rumble Ivan brought up, you have to look past that as it's not the speakers fault setup wasn't stellar on the TT. The speakers themselves could certainly get up and boogey, and fill a large room also. Pretty good sound all around, not the best of show but you certainly wouldn't kick them to the curb. I saw some better potential with some better/different electronics though.

In the video they mentioned Ryan speakers. I will agree, they did sound great especially on the nice simple setup.

edited April 2018
    After viewing that video, I'm not sure I would've been able to "tolerate" some of the musical choices that various rooms were playing.

Kudos to any room that was allowing people to bring/play their own CDs/Vinyl.
    In some of the rooms, if they weren't crazy busy, they did ask what would you like to hear. A lot were streaming. There was several playing TT or reel but, the majority was streaming.

• indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,337
    It seemed to me that a lot of the rooms were smaller at this hotel as compared with the former venue, the Weston. This made the rooms seem cramped when more than 4 or 5 people came in to listen.

Not many rooms had the music turned up either. Seems like the Carver rooms, Skip's, and the Odessey room knew there was a volume control.
    It would've been cool to see Polk Audio with a room. I'm pretty confident that if you paired the S60 towers or S20 bookies with some quality gear upstream that you could have a very nice sounding demonstration room.

I get that upper end HiFi isn't their "core market", but I bet they would've surprised a lot of people that normally wouldn't give Polk a second thought.
    There was more reasonably priced equipment there as well. The Elac 2.0 for $299 sounded darn good!

indyhawg wrote: »
    It seemed to me that a lot of the rooms were smaller at this hotel as compared with the former venue, the Weston. This made the rooms seem cramped when more than 4 or 5 people came in to listen.

Not many rooms had the music turned up either. Seems like the Carver rooms, Skip's, and the Odessey room knew there was a volume control.

I agree these rooms were very cramped. Most all kept the volume very reasonable. The MBL room and one other was an exception, many were starting to leave the hotel as it was late afternoon and few were in the rooms.
  • trav0810trav0810 Posts: 1,058
    I counted on one hand, the amount of rooms actually playing some upbeat tap your toes type of music. Those rooms, surprisingly had moderate gear on the front end running things for the most part. Ivan noted even the HSU room, wasn't playing anything with solid bass notes....you'd have thought otherwise, right ?

fixed it for ya Tony

Yes both times I was in there HSU was playing opera... Absolutely NO LOW end.

Really? When I was in there he played a few different songs of different types, and some of it had some good bottom end. He was running one of their cheaper Subs with the small speakers. I think he said the retail on the sub he was using was $499
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,269
    Good stuff dudes! I recognized Steve in the pic's from his ice fishing. but Thorton looks so familiar, but so did Todd in Texas!

Hope to see some of you at LSAF some year. maybe next year I'll make a Axpona or RMAF!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD