Speaker Cable reccomendations & Bi-wire or standard with matching jumpers

rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 614
Looking for speaker cables. Want to know if I should look for ones to bi-wire or "standard" with matching jumper cables? Ones that would bring out the best in my rig.

I know cables can be very expensive and that's subjective but I would rather not spend more than $200.

Any thoughts on Signal Cables?

Thanks,
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
Post edited by rburgess714 on

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You might want to fully flesh out your thoughts before typing half of them down. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rburgess714
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You might want to fully flesh out your thoughts before typing half of them down. ;)

Yeah I fat fingered my tablet..edited and posted.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• Nightfall
    I think generally going the route of single run and jumpers is cheaper than biwire.

• rburgess714
    I think generally going the route of single run and jumpers is cheaper than biwire.

If you go that route using terminated cables do you just use speaker wire for jumpers?
    Living Room

Office

• Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    You can get jumpers that have banana's on one end and spades on the other so that no matter what ends your speaker cables have you can still use the jumpers, you don't have to use unterminated speaker cable for jumpers. I think that's what you're asking.

s-l1000.jpg

• rburgess714
    You can get jumpers that have banana's on one end and spades on the other so that no matter what ends your speaker cables have you can still use the jumpers, you don't have to use unterminated speaker cable for jumpers. I think that's what you're asking.

s-l1000.jpg

Roger that...so what vendors make jumpers like the ones in your picture and matching speaker cables within my budget? Or does it not matter?
    Living Room

Office

• Nightfall
    There are about a million options.

One would be to get in touch with @helipilotdoug I'm sure he can do something in your budget and he gives discounts to Club Polk members.

• rburgess714
    There are about a million options.

One would be to get in touch with @helipilotdoug I'm sure he can do something in your budget and he gives discounts to Club Polk members.

Thank you sir.
    Living Room

Office

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    "Any thoughts on Signal Cables?" Not a bad option, but there is no way that I can tell you they will sound great w/ your system.

I like WireWorld with Polks. Maybe @dskip can recommend a smooth sounding
    WW cable in the $200 range...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    200 bucks won't buy too much on the new markets but it might go further on the used markets.

That said, tell us more about the gear you have, the music genre's you listen to, and the sound you like, more forward/relaxed/warmer/more neutral....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rburgess714
    tonyb wrote: »
    200 bucks won't buy too much on the new markets but it might go further on the used markets.

That said, tell us more about the gear you have, the music genre's you listen to, and the sound you like, more forward/relaxed/warmer/more neutral....
    "Any thoughts on Signal Cables?" Not a bad option, but there is no way that I can tell you they will sound great w/ your system.

I like WireWorld with Polks. Maybe @dskip can recommend a smooth sounding
    WW cable in the $200 range...

What charateristics would the Signals add what would would I be missing?

@ DSkip did reccomend some used PNF Symphony's and sent tne link to audiogon and I waited to long and missed out.
    Living Room

Office

• rburgess714

Didn't address your question. I like a wide range of music primarily rock and I do prefer a warmer sound. My gear is yamaha aventage rx-a1060, Parasound A23, S60s.

Living Room

Office

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    1) No way for anyone to answer your question.

2) DSkip made a good recommendation.
  • rburgess714
    DSkip wrote: »
    I have been using the Wireworld Helicon 16 OCC with my Signatures and have been enjoying it. The cable is designed for internal wiring, but it can be terminated by Wireworld and used for external wiring. The benefit of this cable is the fact that it is OCC - a forging process that greatly improves clarity and detail in the music. It is only 16 gauge and that turns some people off.

I wish you could have snagged those PNF cables. They are danged nice cables.

Yeah man, I got spun up with work...and blew it.

It's a journey not a race :)
    Living Room

Office

• tonyb
    Gregg Straley reality cables is a great budget cable and can be had for around 150 bucks on the used markets, even in bi-wired form. Kimber cable is another brand that trends on the warmer side of neutral. You might be able to hound up an older series of MIT cables also, but 200 bones is pushing it. Morrow cables might be another off the top of my head.

The Signal cables to my ears are more spot on neutral, not warm, not too bright either, but lack some dynamics/details. They are a good budget cable, but I don't think they are that much of a gain over standard Home Depot 12 ga. wire. Just my opinion of course.

Audioquest is more neutral too, but with more detail and dynamics than some other budget brands. Their lower series can sound a bit edgy on those higher frequencies though. They have so many different series now it's hard to keep track of them all and their sound signatures.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649298894-harmonic-technology-pro-9-biwire-speaker-cable/

Harmonic Tech is also a stellar brand. I know these are double your budget, but you rarely see these cables in bi-wire form for this price. Even if your not interested, maybe somebody else is because this is a steal of a deal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/322424918039?rmvSB=true

Here's a set of 3 10 ft runs of MIT exp 3 speaker cables for 150 bucks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640

I can't tell from the pic's if those are part of the batch with the directional arrows reversed. If so, they were cheaper than that new IIRC.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited March 2017

believe that is PFB no? ^^^^^

Signal depending on the cable "Signal Ultra" is two runs of Canare 4S8 speaker cable. Just buy the Canare 4S11 if that is what you wish and terminate yourself.
  • tonyb
    I believe you may be right, didn't even pick up on it. Gettin' slow man....lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited March 2017

What charateristics would the Signals add what would would I be missing? .

Buying Signal Cables from Frank is not a bad option. We ran Signal Cables for several years prior to the upgrade to MIT. The customer service from Frank is excellent but so is the service from Douglas Connection.

Both Frank and Doug will make jumpers . Buy either with confidence if that is your budget.

Signal Cables are good budget cables and worth the money in my opinion. They lack in clarity and resolution compared to the Shotgun S3.3's we run now but the price and tech makes comparing the different brands unfair.

• rburgess714
    Thanks gents for the input. I need to digest the information and dig around some this evening.
    Living Room

Office

• michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    So is there something wrong with the MIT cables in question?
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Just curious,
    If i am understanding this conversation correctly, if i chose to use the same speaker wire for jumpers as i used for the initial speaker run, instead of the stock bar that is from the factory this would also be (better) or more acceptable than not using jumpers at all??
    I am not in the market for high end speaker cables but, if there would be some improvement or benefit I am more than willing to try it.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Yes, using the same wire from your speaker cables for your jumpers is superior to the stock bar. Assuming of course your speaker cables are decent in the first place. Lol.
  • tonyb
    edited March 2017
    Manticore wrote: »
    Just curious,
    If i am understanding this conversation correctly, if i chose to use the same speaker wire for jumpers as i used for the initial speaker run, instead of the stock bar that is from the factory this would also be (better) or more acceptable than not using jumpers at all??
    I am not in the market for high end speaker cables but, if there would be some improvement or benefit I am more than willing to try it.

Yes, but not using jumpers at all has me confused. The little thin pieces of metal that came with your speakers, replace those with the same wire your using as speaker cables.....if they are of decent quality that is. If your using something like Home Depot speaker wire, it may not make a big difference. You can also use a biwired speaker cable too, accomplishes the same thing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Manticore
    Thanks for the feedback about the jumpers. Sorry tonyb I was over thinking my question. It sounded correct in my head but when typing it out I was way off. I am using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EADB2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    for my speaker runs. I guess it is getting the job done. I think I was asking if by using my own wire jumper it would be better than using the stock one. Now that you can see what I am using as speaker wire. Whats the opinion??
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable

They need a better translation.

That's your basic zip cord type cable. Regardless, it's better than those plate jumpers.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Manticore
    Thats what I was also thinking. Basic zip cord wire. I have absolutely nothing else to compare this with so for now I will just make up a few wire jumpers and see if I can even remotely hear some difference.

F1nut; " They need a better translation" the term they used
    This did not make any sense to me either. I was just under the impression that solid copper wire was a good thing instead of copper clad and such. Until I am ready to purchase something different I guess this will have to do. I have a HT store that I frequent so I will ask besides new and used gear do they ever have any second hand speaker connects. Thanks
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    @Manticore - is your username a reference to the mythical beast or the record deck of the same name?