Lone Star Audio Fest 2017 - May 5, 6, 7

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,349
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Oh I wanted to give a shout out to Voltz, Marvin, and Dan (ender) for giving us a hand breaking Skips rooms down.

Daryl thanks for riding with me to Skips to drop off gear.

My sincerest gratitude as well. Except for Marvin.... he just wanted his speakers.

Ron, you sir are my biggest supporter and I can't thank you for all the help you've done not just for LSAF, but for me as a whole. This transcends the business. For anyone who has never met the man, he is a man worth knowing.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,219
    Best efforts deserve best company, my friend...I've enjoyed our friendship

----Many more years to come, cheers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    edited May 2017
    Oh one more thing. Keep up the good work finding foreign women distribution reps ;)

Accents are sexxy :)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,697
    treitz3 wrote: »
    marvda1 wrote: »
    The black hole, an audio group from Houston. I heard they blew a speaker Saturday night partying.....

To me? Best in show. Not in all aspects of the audio reproduction (read - lowest octaves) but best in show none the less.......and they were going up against some heavy hitters. Very heavy hitters...

2nd place went to El Skipperoonie and JWM. Between those two? Eh, different flavors. I'll expound later on if anyone is interested. Both stellar systems.

3rd place goes to our very own speaker designer of the forum...can you guess? The one, the only...

Tom

I personally never heard a blown anything with this set up. They may have changed things between me listening that night and the next listening session.....all I *personally* know is that this system rocked it and in a way that even my system cannot. Same with all of the other systems there at the event. Bar none.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
    I called Tony today, he doesn't think they blew anything up. He agreed about over driving, w/o enough power at the show, but doesn't think there is damage.
    I called Tony today, he doesn't think they blew anything up. He agreed about over driving, w/o enough power at the show, but doesn't think there is damage.

I heard it later in the night and it sounded better once the sound went down. There was some bad juju going on when I was in there though. I pulled Danny out of the room to confirm and he heard the same issues I did. We ran over to my room to verify it on the same song and yeah, there was an issue.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    DSkip wrote: »

I heard it later in the night and it sounded better once the sound went down. There was some bad juju going on when I was in there though. I pulled Danny out of the room to confirm and he heard the same issues I did. We ran over to my room to verify it on the same song and yeah, there was an issue.

They were over driving it, admitted when all were having fun while under adult drinks but even after you sat down in the wee hours of the night?

Basically, what I am asking is this......what was the issue? If Danny heard it as well, there was something going on. What was it other than over driving the speakers?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
    One more thing......what was the song? I'd like to confirm on my rig if you do not mind.

Tom

edited May 2017
    It was like the tweeters went into protection mode. There was a veil on the music and no accuracy to the sound. It was in both speakers because it wasn't pulling left or right. When compared to the sound we got in my room, there was a sparkle lacking and imaging was shot.

I knew I wasn't hearing what you guys were gushing over at that point. I am happy to hear no permanent damage was done.
    Post edited by DSkip on
    audiothesis.com/

Not going to say there wasn't permanent damage. The over heated voice coils could have cooled and shrank. I would say that it wouldn't take much to ruin them the next time.
    The thing that sucks is that you did not hear what we did Skip. That bites. Bad.

I wish that you had some time beforehand to listen to what we heard and at the level of volume that we experienced it at.

Don't worry, those Rosso Fiorentino's or however you spell them were in a class all by them self. Worthy of a floor stander and with a clean and precise sound to boot. If I was in the market, I would not have hesitated to purchase on the spot just off the sound. You are selling something that you don't *have* to sell. They sell them self. Easily and without reservation.

Tom

Not going to say there wasn't permanent damage. The over heated voice coils could have cooled and shrank. I would say that it wouldn't take much to ruin them the next time.

For their sake, I hope its not the case.

To argue their case, I don't recall a year where a room had THAT much damn fun before.
    audiothesis.com/

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,610
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Kerry, let me know if I can throw some financial assistance your way in the form of purchasing those Amp Camps. ;)

3cu7qercwdcz.jpg

And there it is, I get a little down on my luck and out come the helping hands! :o
    Thanks for thinking of me
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• HzTweakerHzTweaker Posts: 457

Stereo Clarity

19hal27d9zfz.jpg
    twmnndqanooq.jpg

This room was VERY COOL. The speakers have Matt @HzTweaker drooling for a pair, but he may need to sell a lot of blood and other fluids to afford them. The speakers were remarkably clear and had a very nice presence to them. They had a VERY GOOD amount of bass. So much so in fact that they were using their internal EQ (more on that in a minute) to LOWER the bass and actually didn't even hook up the sub they brought.

After a few days have past I'm still drooling over this pair of speakers. Mostly because I have sold so much bodily fluids I can barley function. Look forward to my go fund me page soon to come in the near future.
    2ch rig:
    Speakers: Lsi9
    Preamplifier: Parasound P5
    Power Amp: Parasound A23
    CDP: Pioneer DV-563A; the Denon is riding shotgun.
    Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,313
    edited May 2017
    kharp1 wrote: »
    We took turns, mostly, filling up and I lost track. I would be interested in sharing drive time/ car pooling with some of the northern posse, can I use that word? Would make it easier to haul gear back and forth. I'm only 2 hours south of you, you gotta come right through Louisville.

Ironically enough it didnt take me through there, which I had assumed it would. Not that I wouldn't detour lol, but it had me take 70 straight to St. Louis and in all it was a pretty straight shot down.

Again, that said, I wouldn't have a problem driving through there to pickup some folks to help save gas cost and split drive time so perhaps we drive straight through in a single day...

Also means we might be able to pack in more gear or take more than one car and do an old school caravan lol...

My thought at this moment is that perhaps if I have speakers built around those horns that I bring em down next year with me as a "last year I won, this year I brought em built" type deal.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,611
    Kerry: Interesting to hear about Tom Petty in Memphis, I just saw him a week prior in New Orleans where he headlined the first weekend of Jazzfest. Petty always puts on a great show, he's a total professional. One of the guys I was with said after the show, "I guess I didn't appreciate Petty before this." Lol. I still think "You Got Lucky" was perhaps the best MTV video ever made. Plus, he put on a full two-hour show at Jazzfest which was included in the price of a full-day admission to the fest. I would like to do what you did, hit LSAF and then Memphis for a little afterwards.
    Walsh opened and played for an hour and 15 then about 30 minutes later Tom took the stage and put on one of the top 5 shows I've ever seen.he played 2 hours and it was an inspired show with lots of interaction. Truly gifted pros, all of them. The drummer is the newest member of the band and he's been with them going on 25 years.
    Main System:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Dual SVS SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

• ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,766
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Kerry, let me know if I can throw some financial assistance your way in the form of purchasing those Amp Camps. ;)

3cu7qercwdcz.jpg

And there it is, I get a little down on my luck and out come the helping hands! :o
    Thanks for thinking of me

Anything I can do to help brother! ;)

Seriously though, if you do need anything, let me know.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,305
    think i was pushed into picking the right speakers :p
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    marvda1 wrote: »
    think i was pushed into picking the right speakers :p

Preview?
    audiothesis.com/

• voltzvoltz Posts: 5,020
    Ron & Skip

Was Glad to help and I enjoyed the running around we did to get things and helping taking them to Skip House etc... That is part of why I'm there too.

p.s. after the last trip for batteries I found when I got home Paul had put them in the box I just didn't see them :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,305
    Put on some jazz piano and for the first time I can hear the weight of the instrument.
    These have tonality in spades
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    Walsh opened and played for an hour and 15 then about 30 minutes later Tom took the stage and put on one of the top 5 shows I've ever seen.he played 2 hours and it was an inspired show with lots of interaction. Truly gifted pros, all of them. The drummer is the newest member of the band and he's been with them going on 25 years.

Glad you like the Concert! Tom always been one of my Favorite!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,835
    Almost a week has gone by and I'm finally getting around to posting in this thread.

I hate to say it, but LSAF was a bit of a disappointment for me for a few reasons.

1) I was only able to be there on Friday night.
    2) I only listened to 4 rooms. (Now, who's fault is that???)
    3) Here's the main reason. As the seating worked out for dinner, I sat on an end seat next to my daughter and across from two guys who aren't on the forum. I really enjoyed talking to these guys, but my big anticipation of the weekend was to get to know some of the out of town Polkies better. I did meet Kerry, Dan, and Tom as well as visiting with Russ, Daryl, and Mike briefly, but my interactions with them were limited. This was made worse because I really enjoyed the aforementioned brief interactions and I know that I would have really enjoyed getting to know you guys better.

Ron, Skip, Marvin, and Halen it was nice to see you guys as well, but I no longer consider you guys as Polkies, but rather friends. Danny, hate that we didn't get to talk. I saw you at a distance a couple times at the hotel before dinner and then we sat on opposite ends of the table from each other at dinner, but we just never managed to hook up.

One of these years I'm going to make a weekend of it. As Cubs fans USED TO SAY, "Maybe next year."

And now, a general comment. When I left on Friday night (technically Saturday morning), Marvin was planning to buy JWM and Kerry was deciding between the Usher and the Rosso. From reading through the thread, it seems as though things changed over the weekend. I hope you both ended up with speakers that give you months of enjoyment before the next upgrade. HAHA.

Daryl: Sorry about the batteries. I honestly didn't remember putting them in the box, so I couldn't have told you they were there even if had wanted to.

And my final observation: It's funny how you develop a picture in your mind of how someone will look based on their posts on an internet forum. As usual, all of my preconceived notions were blown out of the water this past weekend. You'd think just once I could at least picture someone a bit similar to the real thing.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,313
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    And my final observation: It's funny how you develop a picture in your mind of how someone will look based on their posts on an internet forum. As usual, all of my preconceived notions were blown out of the water this past weekend. You'd think just once I could at least picture someone a bit similar to the real thing.

I know, its weird how awesomely handsome I am, and how just plumb crazy Russ (lightman) is. He sure lives up to his hype :grin:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Russ shatters it.
    audiothesis.com/

Paul, it was great meeting you and I wish you could have hung around longer. How did your sons baseball game turn out? Yes, there is next year. I had a mission this year and next year is going to be a different perspective. I'm going to focus on the people and less on the equipment,

Marvin and I went back and forth and I finally had to contact Tonyb and have him send one of his guys to apply pressure until Marvin buckled. :)
    Main System:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Dual SVS SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,835
    How did your sons baseball game turn out?

Rough weekend at the ol' ball fields. We played up an age group and took it on the chin on Saturday. Sunday was better. We won our first game and lost a much closer game to one of the teams that beat us on Saturday.

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
    Glad to see you again Paul and meeting your Daughter, I ended up next to Halen and had a great time discussing Steaks and he likes the American Kobe/Wagyu steaks also, even if he forgot to give me the address again :p

But I did think Ryan look like he could be a Star Ship Captain and Russ looks like a Wichita Linemen. but Dan didn't look anything like I picture Bean to look ;)

And you Didn't look like a Slavic but a Texan B)

edited May 2017
    I'm really sorry Paul
    I don't even know how those yea-Hoo's, no offense, ended up in our party, or who they are, just know when we left the hotel they were in the follow.

And yes, it's been 7-yrs now and you have missed the real after hours festivities. One of these years you are going to have to hang for the weekend....you too freebird.

If you are really an audio/music enthusiasts this is the shows to spend a couple days at where we talk audio from breakfast to lights out pass out ;)