Lone Star Audio Fest 2017 - May 5, 6, 7

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,349
    Go to the audiocircle thread. He posted in it.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,313
    DSkip wrote: »
    Go to the audiocircle thread. He posted in it.

link?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    On my phone. Find it you master searcher you.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,305
    dromunds wrote: »
    Who did the Dodd room? Just curious as I have several Dodd pieces including a tube phono preamp which is outstanding, and a tube preamp.

scott clark over at audiocircle
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables

For the other lazy folks, click here
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

I KNEW you could do it. hi5.
    audiothesis.com/

I KNEW you could do it. hi5.

But I like being lazy.
    edited May 2017
    PS I just calculated it for next year and it would cost about 220 in gas to get from here to there and back... About 13 hours one way so doable in a really long day....

Might entice me to try to bring some stuff next year in my car as well as a couple local Indy guys to help split drive time, and gas costs, cause I'm cheap.... and then I could just bring some random stuff for fun to listen to...

@kharp1 : PM me (or post) gas costs and time if possible as I'd be curious how off, or close I am...
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,611
    Enders: thanks for the AC link, interesting stuff. Clearly, the folks over there like Danny's GR Research kits. Good looking cabinets that guy makes for them as well. I guess I never realized LSAF was such an enthusiast's get-together, which makes it special. Hope to make it down there.
    Enders: thanks for the AC link, interesting stuff. Clearly, the folks over there like Danny's GR Research kits. Good looking cabinets that guy makes for them as well. I guess I never realized LSAF was such an enthusiast's get-together, which makes it special. Hope to make it down there.

That was the driving force for choosing this show over say AXPONA which is in my backyard and a easy day trip.
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,766
    LSAF is called "grass roots" for a reason. It is attended by enthusiasts and is typically manned by enthusiasts. I never once felt anyone trying to sell me on anything (well except @DSkip but there is a reason for that, that I fully support and encourage! ;))

Just folks hanging out, listening to some nice gear and sharing their passion for audio reproduction.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,219
    99% still have regular day jobs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,087
    I like it that way. You get to meet up with old friends, make some new friends. No scheduling for listening times. Just pop in and have a seat.
    Good times, friends and gear talk.
    edited May 2017
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    LSAF is called "grass roots" for a reason. It is attended by enthusiasts and is typically manned by enthusiasts. I never once felt anyone trying to sell me on anything (well except @DSkip but there is a reason for that, that I fully support and encourage! ;))

Just folks hanging out, listening to some nice gear and sharing their passion for audio reproduction.

Aww cmon. What was I trying to sell? I'm just in love with the gear I sell. Now, your dealer buddy on the other hand... we gots to talk. o:)
    audiothesis.com/

ZLTFUL wrote: »

Now, your dealer buddy on the other hand... we gots to talk. o:)

I'm pretty sure thats what he was talking about lol....

• voltzvoltz Posts: 5,020

Don you would have really enjoyed talking to Scott about his Dodd room, he had 2 amps. One Dodd made the other he cloned with Gary's help and approval. I lost my pics as my phone did not save them :(
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,697
    Yes, please do Ron. I got Charlie Cocci's number and I know how to get a hold of Danny Ritchie but for some reason, I did not get this cat's contact information.

On a personal note, this guy was a stand up dude. He loves Gary's products and even had some for sale in the room.....which sounded rather good might I add.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,020
    I went to the Keii room with Tom & Marvin and both had the same thought about 1 note bass, after they left I was leaving too but got into a conversation with Scott Warren.

We just talked for 30 minutes about Music, starting with AC/DC and Sarah Jarosz, Ruth Moody and this and that. Music is what brings us all together and I really enjoy talking about what people like or don't etc...

I always get into really long conversation With Norman from Audio crafters Guild & Mike from the GNR research and spent time talking to Bob Brine about his speakers.

That is another great thing about the LSAF is the ones who show up each year and are great to chat with about there products and just about anything else.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    No negative connotation meant at all Skip. In fact, I agree. It would be good business to increase the exposure of the gear (which I also enjoyed.)

But you never tried to sell me anything. Just asked me what I thought and to me, that makes a better sales pitch than the high pressure folks who try to panic someone into buying. Hehe.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,717
    PS I just calculated it for next year and it would cost about 220 in gas to get from here to there and back... About 13 hours one way so doable in a really long day....

Might entice me to try to bring some stuff next year in my car as well as a couple local Indy guys to help split drive time, and gas costs, cause I'm cheap.... and then I could just bring some random stuff for fun to listen to...

@kharp1 : PM me (or post) gas costs and time if possible as I'd be curious how off, or close I am...
    It's an 11 hour drive from here and since I still can't fly we did it, and by "we" I mean my wife by herself since I still can't see well enough to drive. If my wife can pull it off by herself I'm sure you'll be just fine.

• AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,717
    The Rosso monitors and the Black Hole room were my two favorite of the show. There was something about the synergy in the Black Hole room that was next level. Skip I'm sorry you didn't get to hear those before they blew a driver or two, those were so good they actually made me like a Phil Collins song!

:)
    Doug had me audition 4 different PC's within his lineup. Each one of them had a very distinct sound. This was on his Raven tube amps and Legacy bookies listening to the first minute of Mark Knopfler's song, "Telegraph Road", Live. The volume remained the same and nothing but the PC's were swapped out. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to hear such vast differences between just PC cable swaps. It was basically a double blind test because not only am I unfamiliar with his cable lineup, I was unfamiliar with the system and all of the cables looked exactly the same to me. Only he knew what was what.

I'll give Doug props here. The man knows what he is doing. His cables also look 10X better in person than any photo could ever provide justice for. I was honestly very pleasantly surprised at both the sound and the looks.

I picked my preference of the 4 PC's within his lineup and he'll be sending me a full sweep to try out against what I currently have in my rig. That should be interesting, as I have some pretty good very good damned good PC's in the rig as is.

Thank you Doug for your trust and your time. I'm glad that I was able to finally hear your system, albeit in a limited time frame (Read: 20 minutes - I was flying out of Dallas within the next couple of hours).

FYI, for those who are reading this, you are welcome to ask Doug if he will divulge my observations with each PC. I wrote them down and left him with the notes on a piece of paper. I couldn't tell you which PC did what because I didn't even know which PC I was listening too at the time. All I remember was that there were 4 in his lineup that he let me perform my observations on and we referred to them as PC 1,2,3 and 4.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,610
    @treitz3 I'd be interested to see what your responses were.

@EndersShadow We drove in to Arlington to Skips on Tuesday and headed out Wednesday morning to Austin, taking back roads. Did some running around in Austin and back to Dallas Friday. Drove around in Dallas and left Sunday afternoon and headed to Memphis. Did a little riding around in Memphis. BTW, the Tom Petty show was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. Back home Tuesday and after dropping everything off I headed up to Fairfield Ohio and turned around and came back the next morning. I logged 2500 miles. Got 20 miles from home and got a ticket. 107 in a 70 zone. This one is gonna hurt.

We took turns, mostly, filling up and I lost track. I would be interested in sharing drive time/ car pooling with some of the northern posse, can I use that word? Would make it easier to haul gear back and forth. I'm only 2 hours south of you, you gotta come right through Louisville.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

kharp1 wrote: »
    @treitz3 I'd be interested to see what your responses were.
    Gotta refer to Doug on that one. I didn't take any notes with me. He has them.

Tom

You're lucky you didn't spend the night in jail. Anything over 99 in Texas is a trip to jail.

I'm on my last month of state wide traffic probation for 93mph in a 70...attorney and 3 appeals

If I get popped with any moving violations it goes from a Class-C to Class-A
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    edited May 2017
    Dang, you need to move to the Carolina's man. I usually do 90 in a 65 passing a State Trooper on the side of the road. Kind of like Hotlanta....you don't even hit the brakes when passing the Troopie.....just keep on keepin' on....

1 ticket for a seat belt violation in the past 25 years. That's all I have.......and I have deserved MUCH worse often. Did I mention often?

Tom

They don't like you 20mph over the speed limit here. Between the big cities the speed limits are mostly 75. We have a couple that are 85. 10mph over is ok but 20....no way
    edited May 2017
    The Rosso monitors and the Black Hole room were my two favorite of the show. There was something about the synergy in the Black Hole room that was next level. Skip I'm sorry you didn't get to hear those before they blew a driver or two, those were so good they actually made me like a Phil Collins song!

:)

Same here brother. They were on my short list thanks to you and Tom but fun prevailed over audio that night. So it is another legacy of LSAF....

Those dudes generally have a good sounding room. I can't remember all of what I've heard over the years, but they have kept that front end the same and made music every year. Houston and River City Audio Societies generally have great representations at that show and do things right in their rooms.

I won't lie though - I'm in love with the Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole. I'm hoping Marvin will do a review soon so I don't have to throw out vernacular, but they are everything I wanted them to be and have set a new reference for me in actual in-room presentation. I got them close at LSAF, but still so far away from what I experienced at home. That is a TRUE legacy of LSAF. I was, however, very happy with the sound of the Elba's this year. They had the right size room and the right gear to really showcase the whole system. The North Star gear ended up making it into a few other rigs on Saturday and Sunday and perked some ears up as well. They make legitimately good digital gear and have 20 years of customer satisfaction to back it up. They should be on anyone's list for electronics.

For anyone interested, keep your eyes peeled for another Texas meet in October at my place. This year will hopefully be bigger, badder, and louder than last years, and that one was a hoot. October seems to be the biggest draw month for you guys, so I'm running with it.
    audiothesis.com/

Kerry, let me know if I can throw some financial assistance your way in the form of purchasing those Amp Camps. ;)

Oh I wanted to give a shout out to Voltz, Marvin, and Dan (ender) for giving us a hand breaking Skips rooms down.

Daryl thanks for riding with me to Skips to drop off gear.