Lone Star Audio Fest 2017 - May 5, 6, 7

Comments

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,512
    uu7mixylmm74.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,531
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    uu7mixylmm74.jpg

Cinco De Mayo time. :D
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,531
    kharp1 wrote: »
    iyhjdugu85i6.jpg

And I won these!!

That is nice. Congratulations.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,261
    I've fallen in love with Texas...
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,462
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Its like a country!
    I got lost once (pre-Internet) from Colorado to Lubbock, Tx.
    Thought I was 30min off coarse MAX when I stopped to ask for directions.
    3 HOURS off coarse!
    Its HUGE!

Yet it is dwarfed by Alaska which is 2 and a half times bigger. :o
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Its like a country!
    I got lost once (pre-Internet) from Colorado to Lubbock, Tx.
    Thought I was 30min off coarse MAX when I stopped to ask for directions.
    3 HOURS off coarse!
    Its HUGE!

Yet it is dwarfed by Alaska which is 2 and a half times bigger. :o

Alaska is only twice as big from my understanding (I could be wrong).

I checked before I made my claim. 2 and a half times bigger. :)
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,398
    I got lost in the hotel.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,295
    Those horns are awesome
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • WardswebWardsweb Posts: 812
    iyhjdugu85i6.jpg

And I won these!!

Very Cool! Nelson Pass ACA amps from his Amp Camp. Very sweet 6 watts of pure class A goodness. These work well on high efficiency speakers and horns.
    Living room:Maplenoll turntable, Clearaudio Champion II turntable, Sonic Euphoria pre, EAR 834P phono pre, Shanling CD-T1500 sacd, Auralic Altair DAC/server, PS Audio Quintessence power, ASL AQ1006 845 DT MKII mono block amplifers, DIY Altec/JBL speakers
    Sun room: Roksan Radius 5 turntable, Lounge phono pre, DIY Class A 6H30 linestage, DIY 2A3 amp, Krell CDP, JBL C50 Olympus speakers with custom Smith horns, Klipsch Cornwall III
    Den: Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver, Oppo BDP-103 player, Panamax M5400-PM power, SST Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks, Behringer EP 4000 sub amp, Electrovoice DX-38 active, Klipsch Jubilee speakers, Martin Logan Cinema center, JBL SAT2 surrounds, Danley DTS-10 sub
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,710
    iyhjdugu85i6.jpg

And I won these!!

When you leaving? Wanna talk on if those horns can come back with you.

Pm me (mobile SUCKS FOR PM) and I can get you my cell. Or Russ, Ryan or Skip have it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 13,034
    You still alive and kickin' Ron?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,512
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You still alive and kickin' Ron?

Tom

Lol, yes sir
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    Hehe....you were a trip last night!

Hello all, I am now back from LSAF. Skip, it was a pleasure to have met you and spent some time playing around/observing your different systems in to the wee hours of the night. Your Rosso Fiorentino's are definitely a product that you don't have to *try* to sell. They sell themselves and I look forward to hearing the floor standers from that company. What was that one tube integrated that sounded so good again paired with those speakers? Those two were a match made in heaven.

JWM Acoustics had a great set up as well at this event. This gentleman definitely has a passion for sound and a good ear to boot. This system probably had the lowest noise floor of any rig I have put my ears on in the past decade. Very clean, refined sound.

There were some really good systems at the show. Met Doug Ashworth with Douglas Connections, the Italian Northstar representative Jessica Hazewinkel, Dave Thompson with Raven Audio, one of the members over at the WBF that showed me his Kii3 speaker setup along with many other wonderful people I have talked to for decades on this forum. Even met the "Grandfather", if you will, of the Austin Audio Society. It was a cordial, fun and entertaining event that had not one ounce of audiophile snobbery. Right up my alley!

Thanks to those who helped make this event what it has become. I had a really good time and when you get down to it? That's what this hobby is all about.

Shut up Russ.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • halenhalen Posts: 416
    It was grass roots, as always. This year I was not able to stay too long but did make it out a couple times.

Good to put faces to names from out of towners. As you see LSAF is about the bond of audio and good times.

Sorry, I did not have enough time to chat audio and have drinks.

Cheers. To all that I met from out of town.

Cheers. To all my bros in Texas

I still have Kelly Sweet take on Dream On and Melody Gardot One and Only Thrill resonating from those Rossos.

Cheers guys. Have a safe trip home.

halen
    Welcome back.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,710
    @treitz3 It was a Triode tube amp of some sorts.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,572
    kerry, guess what i bought B) some little bookshelves with red on the sides o:)

Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,261
    marvda1 wrote: »
    kerry, guess what i bought B) some little bookshelves with red on the sides o:)

Congrats! I was back and forth, thought I might have made a mistake after the weekend went on and the Rosso's started opening up. I've never heard a stage that three dimensional from a traditional speaker. Was great to meet everyone and finally get some real BBQ.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    some of us went to 10:50 for bbq sunday.
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    edited May 2017
    this was one of the best lsaf in a few years. we had a big crowd on saturday, and Russ, no I don't want any sheep >:) Dan, the ushers are still waiting on you.
    I will post pictures of the rooms later.
    DSkip wrote: »
    After meeting several of our members, I feel blessed to have some hair on the head. Damn dudes...

Showoff.

Tom

85me5ypo69n5.jpg

I got me a set of ten of the large sized ones. Didn't take them home with me as Joshua was still showing his system when I had to head out to the airport. I told him point balnk, "You are gonna end up with a lot of my money over the next decade or so".

He's agreed to do some custom work for me touching on many aspects of the rig. I figured that I would start with these.

Was it just me or was I the only one that was not impressed by the million dollar system downstairs? I mean, I can appreciate the time and effort he put into it but the end result that hit my ears were.....disappointing, to say the least.

Tom

• ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,024
    I agree...could have been better without the super tweeter.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip