New Elac Integrated

Rick88Rick88 Posts: 13,088
edited December 2016 in 2 Channel Audio
Has anyone seen or heard it yet?

Looks interesting with its room correction/speaker eq software app, and plenty of connections.

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/ELAC-Element-EA101EQ-G-Integrated-Amplifier

loahcj26vzii.jpg
"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

Comments

• Rick88Rick88 Posts: 13,088
    8nuuqtjyed90.jpg

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,430
    Looks like it's got your basic whiz-bangs in a single chassis......interesting...
    A modest 2.1 system could be had. No ears on this one yet, though.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,448
    Looks like a Bash chip amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,054
    My expectations aren't too high. AJ is a speaker designer not an amp designer. I'm hoping they aren't just riding on the name to release this jack of all trades.
    I wasn't aware that AJ was the designer.

Rick88 wrote: »

He isn't and that's my point. Elac is riding that wave and I would be more hesitant on the electronics until more unbiased reviews surface.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,227
    They claim to have build it from "ground up". I think Wi-Fi capabilities would have put this product over the edge though. Looks good for a desk top solution or driving a small pair of bookies .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looks good for a desk top solution or driving a small pair of bookies .

That's what I was thinking. It's a bit on the pricey side to me though.

edited December 2016
    Also, upon further investigation I see they listed the power specs at 1kHz instead of 20-20k (all too common nowadays :|).

SPECIFICATIONS

Amplifier: BASH Digital Fidelity Tracking Amplifier
    Power output Continuous:
    2 x 80 Watts 2 channels driven into 4 ohms @ 1kHz
    2 x 40 Watts 2 channels driven into 8 ohms @ 1kHz
    2 x 70 Watts 2 channels driven into 2 ohms @ 1kHz

• msgmsg Posts: 4,967
    Does it come in green?
    I disabled signatures.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Looks like a Bash chip amp.
    What does this mean?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,448
    It's a digital switching amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,227

Which also means, in most likelihood, sounds like crappola. Personally I've never heard a digital switching amp I liked. Not that I heard them all, but the ones I have all had the same sort of thin agitating sound. That's just me though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    yeah, I need to do some reading, but this is kind of what I was wondering - how it affects sound presentation vs. ???

I see that some subs use BASH amps. Do low frequencies going to subs carry any sort of notable tone signal? Is this why BASH is "acceptable" in this application, but not particularly desirable by some in receivers?
    tonyb wrote: »
    Which also means, in most likelihood, sounds like crappola. Personally I've never heard a digital switching amp I liked. Not that I heard them all, but the ones I have all had the same sort of thin agitating sound. That's just me though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,432
    I'm not aware of a BASH amp being used in AV receivers. Class D and BASH amps are completely different designs. The problem with both is an output filter is needed which can distort the sound produced if not done really well. Being done really well either requires spreading cost among a lot of unit sales or charging a lot of money for a unit with relatively low sales. With a BASH amp put into a subwoofer there doesn't need to be much thought paid to the output filter since the amp is only called on to produce low frequencies in a very narrow range, so costs can be kept low. A BASH amp is perfect for a subwoofer because it can be capable of very fast high power output, they are robust, cheap, and produce almost no heat in the subwoofer enclosure.

With the ELAC amp, I am surprised at the low power output ratings and high price for what it is. Doesn't look like it's worth more than a couple hundred bucks. I think a Class D design bought from another company and slapped into a chassis with the ELAC name on it would have been a better idea for them.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
    Sorry, meaning an integrated, in this case. Just used receiver, generally speaking. And incorrectly.
    The BASH logo on this integrated - is this just for brand credit, and not the same type of amp we're talking about that goes into subs?
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'm not aware of a BASH amp being used in AV receivers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halohalo Posts: 5,154
    edited December 2016
    DSkip wrote: »
    Rick88 wrote: »

He isn't and that's my point. Elac is riding that wave and I would be more hesitant on the electronics until more unbiased reviews surface.

Well, yes and no. They are in the audio reproduction business and they are expanding their product line to electronic equipment. To me, this is not unusual. Nothing wrong with riding a wave of success brought about by the part of AJ in designing some of their budget speakers.

They are trying to provide an all inclusive set up for budding audio enthusiasts. Get some speakers from the Debut or Uni-Fi line, grab the new integrated amp with built-in room correction software, & then add the Discovery music server with a built in subscription to Roon essentials. Three steps and you're pretty much done. Not a bad business plan.

I have the Discovery music server and I'm putting it through its paces. I'll write a review soon. It's no secret that I had the Uni-Fi line of speakers (UF5, UC5, & UB5) and I was very disappointed with all of them - so, I'm not exactly an ELAC fanboy. lol.

In looking at the integrated amp on paper, I'm not impressed.
    My point is this: don't get caught up on the wave generated by the speakers and think the electronics are going to be on the same level. Very seldom does a company truly excel at more than one component area in this hobby. They have the name recognition now, but that shouldn't be a deciding factor on this product unless it proves itself on its own merits like the speakers did.

I have no problem with their direction but I'm trying to slow down potential hype over the amp until more is known.
    I just saw the first owner review of it on Crutchfield's website. He is powering LSi bookies with his (doesn't say if 7 or 9's). Note his improvising for a sub...

Excellent sound and easy hook up.
    Michael from Maggie Valley, NC on 12/15/2016
    Verified customer (What's this?)
    I received this amp yesterday. Great things really do come in small boxes. This amp was basically a plug and play. While there is an app to customize the amp to your room it sounds great as is . I hooked it up the my Polk LSI bookshelf speakers and the sub woofer input to one of my Polk LSI floor speakers. I love its same size and its builtin Dolby conversion. I would clarify with Crutchfield the warranty. The owner's manual say one year, Crutchfield says three years.

Pros: Small size, can use an app to customize the amp to your room and control all of its functions and builtin Dolby conversion.

Cons: Would recommend the use of banana plugs to connect the speaker wires to my amp. Any wire 16 gauge for greater is hard to feed through the hold in the speaker posts. Also, you will have to use single banana plugs, not the double size as the later will not fit

edited December 2016
    Michael from Maggie Valley needs to get on here amd explain himself and talk about the sound in some relative terms. Maybe some examples of previous gear, observations, and what he notices now. Too vague. If you wrote a review like this, Rick...
    ..I would send you a box of my morning best, marked "Delicious Tunnel Cake Inside."..
    It does seem like a neat special lifestyle/small room/secondary sys/special use piece, though. I've sometimes thought about getting a little Parasound Z-series component setup going for the kitchen. Something like this would seemingly work well in a situation like that. This offers too many nice connectivity options to be wasted in a situation like that where the requirement is so minimal.
    I disabled signatures.
    Bumping this old thread because I see that Fry's is clearing out this amp for $299 (reg. $699 msrp).

I have never seen or heard one in person, but it might be worth checking out for a desktop or small/bedroom system.

https://www.frys.com/product/9165488?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,585
    edited September 6
    EDIT: derp -- 2016.
    sorry.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,585
    edited September 6
    Yeah Doc, when I saw Fry's was clearing them out I decided to bump the old thread.
    I don't know anyone that's heard it, but thought someone might find it a good enough deal to give one a shot. I mean, some online retailers are still selling it for $699.

And there are now some reviews on it, for what it's worth:

https://www.audioadvice.com/content/elac-ea-series-integrated-amplifier-review/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gadget-reviews/elac-element-ea101eq-g-review/

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/integrated-amplifiers/elac-ea-series-ea101eq-g-integrated-amplifier-review/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/elac-element-ea101eq-g-integrated-amplifierdac-review