CE644 ESS Sabre Controller, or who's afraid of SMD....

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited March 2016 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
SMD as in Surface Mount Devices. This is a new controller I am building for my DAC. It will allow use of a better than LCD display, the OLED display. These are not for sale so one must send the gerber files and have the boards made. There is usually a minimum to have circuit boards made, and I bought this from a guy who had an extra. He had a three board minimum.

That little FT232R or USB UART interface chip is gonna be fun as are the mini USB connections.

http://ce-designs.net/

CE644_SMD.jpg

What it should look like when fini. The code is incomplete so if it works, I am back to the horror of coding....

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You've got this, Rich.

Populate that board and throw it in the oven on a cookie sheet. I like the silver sheets because the bottoms get too brown/crispy using the blackish ones.

Bake 10 minutes at 350°, 5 minutes at 700°, 2.5 minutes at 1400°, or 1.25 minutes (that's 75 seconds) at 2800°. I'm assuming your oven "doubles down" just like your amp does.

Nonstick spray is a must! I recommend Pam over any of the store brands. Wear an apron to protect yourself!

vi4d3ykdva5y.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    Purdy purple PC board.Get your magnifying glass out when your soldering that one.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I've never minded soldering SMD components, I have more problems desoldering the old components from boards. What I generally use is a product called chipquik which is basically a low melting point solder and some flux to mix with the original solder which helps keep it in a liquid state longer so you can safely remove the damaged SMD. Then you use braid to clean up any excess and install the new parts. Good luck with the install.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!

I like to use my Hakko FR300 desolder gun with small tip to make spaces between the circuits. I'm too old for this small stuff Fred!

I got the two worst ones done, the mini USB and UART chip. .015 solder helps too. It ain't pretty like a Jay shake and bake, but there are 'spaces between the traces'..lol Say, when you coming over, slacker? lol New pre amp, music server, USB to I2S. No where else to go...this is it....

usb%20uart.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    Looks good. All I had to deal with today were a couple of 4565 op amps. Your camera must be better than mine!fklf9shvdtgv.jpg
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks!

Tight fit! Nice work! Op amps surrounded by smd parts! I can see many opportunities for collateral...where did they go? Oh, stuck on tip of my iron! lol

The pic of board is just from my cell phone camera. It does a decent job as long as I hold it steady.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    man that is some FINE soldering skills needed. I definitely see some heat migration to unintended parts..... kudos guys on that skill
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    Rich,
    Good luck on the coding. Not something I would want to do. I want to finish the control panel on my Buffalo and thought I would ask you what you use on your dac. I have a switch to go from I2S or SPDIF. Another switch goes between the 2 I2S inputs. One rotor switch selects the various spdif. Thats it. What other things do you switch since you have much more to choose? Filter slope, DSD, ect? What are you doing with the old display/controller. I may be interested if it would be useful in my dac.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I want to finish the control panel on my Buffalo and thought I would ask you what you use on your dac.

10-4, I'll need luck when coding! I'll have to have it working before I'd consider getting rid of my current controller.

I use Arduino UNO with CE-Designs Buffalo III shield and CE-Designs modified HiFiDuino code. IIRC there were some tweaks he helped me with dual mono. But Robert (Corpius in forums) went underground. He told me he was going back for higher education and I don't see him in forums anymore.

http://ce-designs.net/

He has the gerber files on his website so one can have the boards made (usually you have a minimum with PCB makers, like three or more). He also has the working code for the BIII shield available (CE328). The main issue is the electroFUN I2C LCD extra IO Robert used on the LCD (I2C control, less wires) is no longer made.

http://www.electrofunltd.com/2011/10/i2c-lcd-extra-io.html

Now TWILCD by Akafugu has a similar I2C controller for LCD, but I don't know if it is compatible with Roberts shield. I'm sure the TWILCD library would be needed along with some tweaks in code. I have a TWILCD attached to an OLED display we tried to make work with the CE328 code, but we failed. That is why he went to the CE644 designs.

Anyway, I use three pin outs for control, controlled by code and input chosen. One for Sidecar to switch between SPDIF and I2S input, one for OTTO II to switch between Denon 3910 the USB input an one for the DSD remap. (Dual mono really complicates DSD input).

Dimdim has some working code but you'd have to use the big display he chose. HiFiDuino code requires you to build his way, which did not use I2C control of LCD display (lots more wires)!

By far CE-Designs was/is the best way to go. He had every config covered, stereo, dual mono, BII (80MHz clock), BIII (100MHz clock), I2S, DSD, and SPDIF input with the TP 4 channel board. Myself, I'm going simpler and removing the Teleporter for Denon input. Haven't had a BYO music meet since I can't remember. I just don't use it. I'll lose SPDIF too. Just be USB to I2S with OTTO II for DSD input remap.

I'm also going to experiment with running in sync. Trying it right now with single BIII. Of course running in sync means no SPDIF without onboard clock. I'm using the Sonore USB to I2S module. I ordered some of them kewl Ian of FIFO fame BIII adapters (U.fl to header pin). Maybe get some before he runs out.

Input wise you can select and save the best settings per input and its saved in the code. DSD likes more free wheel with DPLL, I2S not, etc. Robert was also the one whom recognized the Arduino had a fixed number of writes, Yeah a lot, like 80,000 plus, but he modified the code where it only writes changes it if you save and exit. Just turning it on and off, changing settings doesn't write until you say so.

The adapters....a clock adapter is included with the U.fl header adapter. In the instructions, he provides digikey part numbers for the bent pin female header. His design was for the first design BIII 1.0.1 board which had no external clock provisions. He had you remove the clock on BIII, attach it to adapter board and solder adapter into board.

I have the BIII V1.0.2 board which has a two pin header next to clock. I just used a two pin header and female connector. The clock has enough internal resistance, just leave it on BIII. I remove shunt module for clock power, attach external clock.

To me, the adapters beats stripping that small coax and soldering it to pin headers. Of course you must purchase the $20 U.fl removal tool...lol

488382d1434254558-ian-asynchronous-i2s-s-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy-10_biiiadapterpcb.jpg

sync_1.jpg
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    I can't even hold the picture's they took still enough to see what they're soldering...

Hand me another cup of coffee - that'll settle me dddddooownn......
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    The key to soldering when you shake is lopping part of an old desk fan blade off and vibrating the bench.
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It lives! I had to upload the bootloader from an Arduino UNO before I could upload firmware code via USB. Have to test it with DAC now. This controller has I2C serial isolation. Remote only, no manual encoder code written. Image copied from diyaudio, unsure if it will be visible to all.

538136d1458256207-es9018-i2c-controller-ce644_v1.3_works.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I want to finish the control panel on my Buffalo and thought I would ask you what you use on your dac.

I was recently in contact with Gunnar (gwikse). He has been using the Akafugu TWILCD with both LCD and OLED displays using the CE Designs BIII shield. You need to download and install the TWILCD library in the Arduino Library folder and change the CE328 code in regards to the electroFUN I2C LCD.

https://www.tindie.com/products/akafugu/twilcd-standard/

The CE-Designs site has gerber files for the BIII shield so you can have PCB boards made. He also has a BOM and instructions.

http://ce-designs.net/index.php/downloads

Check with gwikse, I'm sure he would share his working code with you. At this point I'm not sure what direction I will take. The new code needs work, so I may just use the OLED display with the BIII shield and old code.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Da hell are you talkin' about Rich?
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

He's gone, Russ.

tron_legacy1.jpg

• lightman1
    Options
    That explains a lot of it. Thank you sir!
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

He's gone, Russ.

tron_legacy1.jpg

Lol. I agree. Nice work Rich.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2016
    Options
    LMAO! Funny! Thanks for the kind words!

I'm a talking about serial communication with a liquid crystal or OLED display and DAC chip.

You stick one of these on back of display...and a shield (custom PCB) on the Arduino UNO controller.....

179.jpg.2560x2560_q85.jpg

to get rid of all that.....

ard_proto_1.jpg

so it looks like this.....

lcd_shield_2.jpg

then you upload the code or firmware....

remote.jpg

Or in basic terms, you make that DAC chip your beotch via remote control and proudly display it....lol

• lightman1
    Options
    Still got nothin'
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Don't worry.... :)

igot.jpg