Cambridge CXN doesn't see all music stored on NAS

Options
Recently added a Cambridge CXN Network player to my system, and am having some issues getting it to see my entire library stored on my NAS. With the CXN and NAS hard wired to my network, the CXN does see the NAS. Browsing for music files, it brings up less then half of my library stored on the NAS either by searching by artist or album. For instance, it doesn't show the "Grateful Dead" folder or any of the contents stored in it. Another example is the Cowboy Junkies. It shows one song off of a soundtrack when searching by artist, but neither of the two Cowboy Junkies albums I have stored in that group's folder.

When I hook a PC to the network using the same Cat 5 cable and LAN jack, the PC sees the NAS and all of it's contents. Using the USB input on the Cambridge I don't have any troubles playing files via JRiver or Amazon Music. The internet radio stations come through fine, also. One thing I've noticed that makes me wonder if I have a defective unit is that the CXN won't see a wireless adapter when it's hooked up. The NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2, the music is stored on the NAS in the FLAC format. File structure for all the music on the NAS is "Media" share-Music-Artist-Album. I've not seen anything different in the security permissions for the files that will show vs the files that don't. The music is all either burned from a CD or paid for and downloaded from a legit site such as HDtracks. I've done a factory reset on the Cambridge, the firmware is up to date on both the Cambridge and the NAS. The manual for the CXN is not much help.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?
Wristwatch--->Crisco

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Strange that it will read some but not all. Are the affected files sporadic or does it cut off at a certain place every time?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Are you sure the metadata is totally accurate? Might be an issue where the CNX is reading the metadata wrong, or it is wrong... IE Grateful Dead might be under Jimmy Buffet or some such thing...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Strange that it will read some but not all. Are the affected files sporadic or does it cut off at a certain place every time?

As far as I can tell, the same files are missing each time I look. Seems random, for instance the folder "Bob Marley" shows, but not "Bob Marley and the Wailers".
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • strider
    Options
    Are you sure the metadata is totally accurate? Might be an issue where the CNX is reading the metadata wrong, or it is wrong... IE Grateful Dead might be under Jimmy Buffet or some such thing...

I would assume the metadata is correct. I've used the NAS as my library with JRivers before without issue. Also, I don't see "Grateful Dead" when searching by Artist nor do I see "Workingman's Dead" when searching by Album.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    weird. sounds like you've covered a lot of the basics.
    curious, do you happen to have any particularly long file paths? like, a lot of nested folders, and long folder names and long file names? I'm wondering if there's a limit to what the Cambridge can see.

how about any special characters?

be worth a shot to look at the folder structure on the NAS of the ones you know you're not seeing.
    I disabled signatures.
  • strider
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    weird. sounds like you've covered a lot of the basics.
    curious, do you happen to have any particularly long file paths? like, a lot of nested folders, and long folder names and long file names? I'm wondering if there's a limit to what the Cambridge can see.

how about any special characters?

be worth a shot to look at the folder structure on the NAS of the ones you know you're not seeing.

No abnormally long file names and the folder structure is the same for all the files. Using the Grateful Dead as an example (one of the artists not seen), the album Dick's Pick's Volume 19 Disc 1 is found at NAS->Media share->music->Grateful Dead->Dick's Pick's Volume 19 Disc 1. Alice in Chain's album Unplugged (one that is seen by the CXN) is found at NAS->Media share->music->Alice in Chains->Unplugged.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • msg
    Options
    yeah, nothing particularly unusual there.
    presuming you can see other folders and files that have the ' in the path?

have you added this music since connecting the CXN or has it always been on the NAS?

what happens when you add music? does the CXN automatically see it, or do you have to tell it to scan the repository for changes?

How large is the NAS repository?

Curious, have you contacted Cambridge yet to see whether this is a known issue?
    Another member recently had a problem with his Stream Magic with USB disks larger than 2TB, but NAS is supposed to sidestep this limitation.
    I disabled signatures.
  • strider
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    yeah, nothing particularly unusual there.
    presuming you can see other folders and files that have the ' in the path?

have you added this music since connecting the CXN or has it always been on the NAS?

what happens when you add music? does the CXN automatically see it, or do you have to tell it to scan the repository for changes?

How large is the NAS repository?

Curious, have you contacted Cambridge yet to see whether this is a known issue?
    Another member recently had a problem with his Stream Magic with USB disks larger than 2TB, but NAS is supposed to sidestep this limitation.

With regard to the apostrophe, the Grateful Dead artist folder doesn't have an apostrophe in it's name. The albums in their artist folder have names with and without punctuation in it. Would you think the NAS wouldn't see the entire folder if some of the sub-folders (albums in this case) had punctuation in their names?

The music has been in the NAS for a while, and I'm not certain how the CXN sees new music. The manual for the CXN is pretty sparse on information; I tried turning the CXN off, disconnecting the LAN cable, cycling the power on then off and reconnecting the LAN cable before turning the CXN back on. Hoped it would rescan the NAS but no such luck. I followed the instructions on the CXN's FAQ on the Cambridge site when there were issues with the CXN not seeing newly added folders with no luck.

The hard drives in the NAS are 3TB Seagates. They have 641GB on each of the two discs.

I did start a support ticket on the issue Friday, they still haven't responded to it. Searching the 'net, I haven't found much info at all about the CXN. Thinking out loud: could it be a DRM issue? How 'bout the program used to convert the files from disc to FLAC? I've used two different programs to burn the discs to my hard drive (damn if I could remember which album got burned with which software though). IMO that's a stretch, as I would think a FLAC file is a FLAC file no matter how it was converted. How does UPnP fit into the equation between the NAS and the CXN? Uggh...
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm curious about that Cambridge. Can it play 24/192 FLAC from a USB stick or hard drive or only via a network connection or PC connected with USB? What about DSD (same question)? How do you like its sound? How do you like it in general?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • strider
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm curious about that Cambridge. Can it play 24/192 FLAC from a USB stick or hard drive or only via a network connection or PC connected with USB? What about DSD (same question)? How do you like its sound? How do you like it in general?

Although I've not tried playing off of a USB stick or connecting a hard drive directly to the CXN, it's my understanding that it will play 24/192 off of them. I believe the wireless is limited to 24/44.1 though. It does play DSD, but it not in it's native form. The manual doesn't make it clear what it does and doesn't do, I am going by recollection from a couple reviews I read.

I do like the sound, but right now I'm not certain about the unit overall. The outcome of the issue I'm having with the library is difficult to look past for me right now...Build quality is high, aesthetically pleasing, remote is solid. I do like the way it deals with volume control by using DSP rather then bit reduction. What I'm not happy with is the owner's manual, which is about 5 pages of "what cable to connect where" rather then detailed information about how the unit works and no "what to do when this happens" kind of direction. Don't care for the fact that you can't disable the upsampling (unit upsamples all inputs to 24/382). The app for controlling the unit just works on iOS and Android devices; I'd prefer to be able to access it via a web based app like the Marantz network players have the ability to do. While the inability to listen to hear DSD in it's native form wasn't a deal breaker it might be nice to have that option. Unless the library issue gets cleared up, I'm leaning on returning it to try the Marantz NA8005.

Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion. You didn't sell me on it ;). I'll keep looking towards an Oppo 103 or 105 then, both which can play native DSD, high resolution FLAC, video files, pretty much everything from a USB hard drive or stick plus DVD, CD, DVDA, SACD, Netflix, on and on. It's hard to ignore that much versatility, even though I'm trying.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • strider
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think Cambridge will be looking for me to be a spokesperson any time soon. My search started when I was looking for something to replace my DAC. Network players caught my eye because of their ability to play my library without my computer being on. So far the Cambridge has not been able to deliver that.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • msg
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    I did start a support ticket on the issue Friday, they still haven't responded to it. Searching the 'net, I haven't found much info at all about the CXN. Thinking out loud: could it be a DRM issue? How 'bout the program used to convert the files from disc to FLAC? I've used two different programs to burn the discs to my hard drive (damn if I could remember which album got burned with which software though).
    no, I wouldn't expect it to ignore a top level folder entirely if the subfolder contents were to have some "unallowable" characters, but you never know. It was the GD album name you provided that caught my attention, I didn't realize it was ignoring the artist entirely. At this point, nothing particularly unusual and just stabbing in the dark. perplexing for sure.

The software ripping idea is a thought, and may be along the lines of what Enders is saying with the meta. maybe some of that's unsupported and unit doesn't know what to do with it.

You could try a few different things as a test, I suppose, to try to rule those out. maybe try re-ripping a few songs using each software to see. and also do something that will have punctuation/special characters in the name, just to rule that out as well. I suppose you could also try copying some of those files that are not showing up, do a simple rename on them, or move them to a root folder to see if they show up then? could be a limitation to the number of subfolders it can see, as well. does sound like a simple issue here. and yeah, it's all a stretch at this point. hear ya on the frustration and lack of timely response.
    I disabled signatures.
  • strider
    Options
    Well...Started poking around the NAS software, changed a few settings and now I can see the entire library. Noted that I had both Bonjour and UPnP discovery services enabled so I turned off the Bonjour. Also added a specific folder for music under the ReadyDLNA streaming services. Previously it looked in the Media share for all file types. I broke it down into looking for music files specifically in Media->music on the NAS.

Funny thing is, if I browse in either Album or Artist, the tracks are doubled up in every album. For example, The Very Best of Toots and the Maytalls starts off with 54-46 Was My Number twice, then Funky Kingston twice, and so on. Same thing with every album I looked at. When I browse by Folders it is fine, so that's what I'm going to run with.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • msg
    Options
    Good job. Re: the double track display, do they both actually play?
    I disabled signatures.
  • strider
    Options
    Yeah, it would play each song twice. Pretty darned annoying. I hadn't thought to look recently, but I paused to check it typing this post and it's displaying correctly now.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    I am using the Stream Magic 6 and once the thing warms up to my NAS it's pretty amazing and I am for the time being, wireless with a floor in between the SM6 and the NAS. Can't wait till I have the Cambridge wired to my router. Yes, files is the way to go and once you set the queue up with say...20 albums, just engage shuffle then fast forward one tune and your Juke Box is up and running. So far so good.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!